Tushar_Suradkar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Lodi Road Art District in New Delhi

An Art District is a demarcated area in a city intended to create places of cultural exhibition and consumption. Street art is encouraged in such areas to be displayed in public on surrounding buildings, on streets, trains, and on other publicly viewed surfaces. Art districts are places for unofficial and independent visual art in public locations for public visibility.

Major cities in the world have one or more art districts. For example 303 S Hewitt St in Los Angeles, Malasana in Madrid, or the Lapa Neighborhood in Rio de Janeiro. Similarly, in Delhi, one can marvel at the numerous wall murals in the Lodi Road area.

The Lodi Road area was always famous for its broad streets and large shady trees all along. 

Abstract Art on the walla at Lodi Road Art District in New DelhiAbstract Art on the walla at Lodi Road Art District in New Delhi

The area is spacious with several government quarters that are old buildings having large facade walls which are ideal for painting huge murals.

Polar Bear on a black background Lodi Road Art District in New DelhiPolar Bear on a black background Lodi Road Art District in New Delhi

You can reach Lodi Road by road from both Delhi and Gurugram’s side.

The nearest metro station is Jorbagh.

Murals on an entrance arch on Lodi Road Art District in New DelhiMurals on an entrance arch on Lodi Road Art District in New Delhi

Some murals are on both sides of an entrance to a residential enclave.

Indian Man and Woman Street Art at Lodi Road Art District in New DelhiIndian Man and Woman Street Art at Lodi Road Art District in New Delhi

Few are light-colored which shine brightly in the daylight.

Pastel Colored Street Graffiti at Lodi Road Art District in New DelhiPastel Colored Street Graffiti at Lodi Road Art District in New Delhi

While others are dark.

White Tiger Street Graffiti at Lodi Road Art District in New DelhiWhite Tiger Street Graffiti at Lodi Road Art District in New Delhi

Here's another black beauty.

Masked People Marching at Lodi Road Art District in New DelhiMasked People Marching at Lodi Road Art District in New Delhi

Murals are both at the corner of a street.

Folk Dancers from Southern India at Lodi Road Art District in New DelhiFolk Dancers from Southern India at Lodi Road Art District in New Delhi

While some are large ones are on flat facade walls.

Abstract Mural on a huge wall at Lodi Road Art District in New DelhiAbstract Mural on a huge wall at Lodi Road Art District in New Delhi

Overall, it is a great walk along avenues in the historic Lodi Road area which has now gained a reputation as the prominent art district of New Delhi.

accessiblity_64.png Accessibility Features

✔️ Ramp Access.

✔️ Wheelchair-accessible Entrance.

✔️ Wheelchair-accessible Restroom/Toilet.

✔️ Wheelchair-accessible Seating.

✔️ Wheelchair-accessible Parking.

Do you know of a mural or graffiti on any street in your city or some other city you have visited?

Feel free to share a picture that you have captured.

Until then... Happy Guiding 😊

Delhi, India
20 comments
Level 7

Re: Lodi Road Art District in New Delhi

Greetings 

Interesting write up. Nice pic  and a.good read

Level 9

Wow so beautiful and colorful ❤

My name is Rasyid from Indonesia 🇲🇨

I like Hindi movies and song. Surprisingly, Your post reminds me to a videosong I watched yesterday: Legayi Legayi (covered by Karan Nawani). It was filmed here in Lodi street 😊

karan.JPG

That's so nice..

Thanks for sharing!

@Tushar_Suradkar 

Rasyid, Indonesia 🇲🇨

Connect Moderator

Thanks @Hemal25  for your appreciation.

Glad that you found it interesting.

BR,

Tushar

Connect Moderator

Hi @rasyidmask 

I am glad to know you like Hindi songs.

And wow! what an observation.

The mural in the opening sequence of the song is the same as the one I shared.

The song you mentioned is a poor remix of the amazing original song from the film Dil To Pagal Hai that was released almost 23 years back and I remember going for the 'first day - first show' while still in college.

Which other recent Hindi song have you listened to?

Greetings from India 🇮🇳

Tushar

Level 9

Hi @Tushar_Suradkar 

Thanks for sharing the original song of Legayi Legayi. Karisma Kapoor is so beautiful and her dance is so fantastic. Love it so much 😍

It's said that the movie was release in 1997, wow I was still 8 years old that time 😁 (I was born in 1989)

There are some Bollywood movies I watched recently (although they are not released recently, because no theaters in Indonesia play Bollywood movies, people usually watch online or from DVD).

They are: Aashiqui 2, Dhoom3, Bajirao Mastani, Padmavaat, and Dilwale.

Thanks for sharing, I hope I can visit Mumbai and Delhi in the future 🇮🇳🇲🇨

Connect Moderator

You are welcome to visit 🇮🇳 India, my friend.

Your attraction for Bollywood is awesome.

It is the biggest film industry, even larger than Hollywood.

Here are some more tidbits,

Ashiqui 2 was a flopped movie though the songs were a hit.

You should watch the original Aashiqui, it was a popular hit and the songs were mesmerizing.

Again, Dhoom 3 is a poor attempt. Wath the original and original Dhoom, it was a great hit.

Bajirao-Mastani - OK

Padmavat - Stay away from such movies, this was controversial. They distorted Indian History and what you see in the movie about the characters from the past is all false. So watch it just for the drama and action sequence if you like. The story is a lie.

Dilwale - This is a miserable attempt by the superstars Shahrukh Khan and Kajol to recreate the All-time-Superhit of Bollywood. The original movie was Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge. This movie is the all-time favorite and most popular in the history of Bollywood. Normally if a movie runs for 25 weeks it is a silver Jubilee, 50 weeks is a Golden Jubilee, and 75 weeks is a Diamond Jubilee. No movie has run for 100 weeks. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge was played for 1009 i.e one thousand nine weeks straight in Mumbai. Can you imagine?

BR,

Tushar

~Greetings from India 🇮🇳

Why do you have the flag of Monaco 🇲🇨 in your previous reply?

Level 7

Magnificent! I wonder when i'll have the opportunity to walk here too.

Thank you for sharing 🙂

Level 9

Hi @Tushar_Suradkar. Thanks so much for the recommendations.

I've just watched some songs of the original Aashiqui on YouTube. The songs are so nice and melodious.

I also have watched Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge few years ago via DVD. It's totally much better than the new Dilwale. No wonder that it becomes the best Bollywood movie ever. I really love the song: "Tujhe Dekha To Yeh Jana Sanam"

About Padmavaat, I personally dislike it and found it offensive. I really agree with your suggestion to avoid this kind of movie.

The problem is: the distribution of Bollywood movies in Indonesia is so limited so we have no more choices. I hope in the future Bollywood fans in Indonesia will be able to watch good quality Bollywood movies.

Thanks for sharing with me, 

Rasyid. Indonesia

PS.  Indonesia and Monaco have similar flags: Red and White🇲🇨, the only little different is just the size. So sometimes we make a mistake in picking the right flag emoji 😊

Connect Moderator

Hi @rasyidmask 

It is understandable that there are not many theatres that show Bollywood movies in Indonesia.

In India also, it has become rare for people to go to a theatre to watch a movie since the tickets are sky-rocketing and at the same time the prices for parking and snacks at the theater are prohibitively high. So people watch hit online.

~Greetings from India 🇮🇳