cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Local Guides, 2023 Album of Star 360 Spheres

Caption: A sample of Star 360 SpheresCaption: A sample of Star 360 Spheres

1 - Background:
For well over three years now we have been talking about and analyzing the performance of our photo contributions on Maps and this has included our star (most viewed) photo. Regarding star photos, the Star Photos Album is a post where we share and showcase our "best" performing photos and the Top 100 Star Photo leaderboards and the System behind them, have provided detailed analysis of these stars.Moving forward, with the recent growing interest in video, earlier this week the scope of our study and analysis of our photos was extended to encompass video and the Star Videos Album was launched as a place for sharing our best performing videos.

But something is still missing and this is 360 Spheres. This class of photo contributions has been mentioned many times over the past 3+ years in discussions on the Top100 leaderboard posts and recently by @nigelfreeney in his comment on the August Star Photos Leaderboards post.  360 Spheres were also recently mentioned in discussions with @LudwigGermany and @AT_Rome.

So adopting that old English expression in for a penny, in for a pound which basically means that we should finish what we have started no matter how difficult, this new post is dedicated to star 360 spheres. To not unnecessarily add additional workload in the generation of this special class of photo contributions, I had thought to integrate this class with the star photos stream however, when I canvassed this idea with a number of Top 100 participating Local Guides, the consensus was that given each class has it's own unique features and issues, 360 Spheres should have their own place and this post is that place.  While similar in many ways to the star photos and star videos album posts, this post is dedicated to showcasing Local Guide 360 Spheres.

2 - Questions:

Firstly, because we want this post to very much look like an album, if you have any questions or wish to comment about star 360 spheres generally, or the specific star 360 spheres in this album, or on how to participate here or on the Top 100 leaderboards, then please don't add these in comments in this post. Instead, add them in a comment on the recently renamed Discussion on Star Photos, Videos & 360 Spheres post, a post specifically setup for this purpose. Please note that any such comments added here will be moved to the special discussion post.

3 - Steps to add your star 360 sphere:
To participate, you need to take a screenshot of your star sphere thumbnail shown on Maps and add it in a specially formatted comment on this post.  Because we want a consistent format of entries in this album, please follow the basic formatting criteria as outlined below.  A good idea is to use the steps mentioned as a checklist and make sure you cover each step.  Your screenshot should:

1. [20 points]  include only one image of your star 360 sphere, clearly showing the current star views overlaid over it.  Larger screenshots are best but do not over enlarge your screenshot at the expense of quality/resolution;
  2. [20 points]  only be of your star sphere and not show any Maps details other than those overlaid over your star 360 sphere itself on Maps;
  3. [10 points] preferably be taken in landscape (more wide than tall) layout as these photos look better than portrait or vertical layout (more tall than wide),
  4. [10 points]  be posted centered,
  5. [5 points]  have only one blank line (i.e. no text) at the top between the screenshot itself and your Connect avatar and post date details,
  6. [20 points]  include a caption using the following format

Caption: Star 360 sphere by @YourConnectUsername of [name of the place] uploaded onto Google Maps on [include date uploaded] and showing star views of [enter star views] as at [include star views date]

Notes:
    * If you're participating in the star 360 sphere leaderboards, the caption to be used will be automatically generated for you
     😊 Just copy and paste it with your screenshot;
    * If you're adding your screenshot on a desktop PC then add the caption as part of the Insert Photos process so that it is better integrated with the screenshot itself.

7. [10 points]  The caption shows the correct star date & star views (screenshot) date.
  8. [10 points]  The star views shown on your caption must be the same as that shown on your screenshot and if you're a Top 100 Local Guides leaderboard participant, it must also be equal to the star views you have entered for your star 360 sphere on the Top 100 System!
  9. [5 point]  Add one blank after your image and caption but not before!

Note: The Connect editor at times adds extra blank lines and for best readability on mobile devices we don't want these extra blank lines, thank you! So after you save your screenshot post, check it and if you see too many blank lines, delete them. In my own screenshot post here, for better readability I have also added one blank line at the end of my screenshot post 😉

10. [20 points]  Add the name of the place, city and country as a heading and that heading must be the shared link of your star 360 sphere on Maps. Interested Local Guides can then simply select your heading to visit and view your star 360 sphere on Maps.

11. [20 points]  Immediately under the heading (no blank lines before) tell the story about your star 360 sphere or the place etc. This is important so make it interesting so others, including Search Engine robots, will enjoy reading and like your story and you just never know your star 360 sphere might be featured in other places on Connect as well as the Web and thus build on its impact.

Things you could mention include:
    (a) Is this your best 360 sphere ?
    (b) Was this just a point and shoot 360 sphere ?
    (c) The camera you used. Mention the brand name and model (e.g. Canon, EOS 7D or Google Pixel 6a ) so for example, don't just say "I took this photo using my smartphone", be more specific.

Important Notes:

1. After adding your star 360 sphere screenshot, you should check it on both mobile and a PC for formatting and consistency (especially line spacing). You will be able to compare yours with others in the album;
  2. The points shown in red against each of the above requirements (maximum 150), are used to measure how well your star 360 sphere screenshot fits in with the specified formatting criteria and is explained in more detail in the Discussion on Star Photos, Videos & 360 Spheres post.
  3. Why did I say use your imagination and make the story about your star 360 sphere or the place or meal etc interesting so others, including Search Engine robots, will enjoy reading it? It's because our contributions are not only shown in this album on Connect, they are also shown in the public domain and therefore will end up on general Google Search Results Pages (SERPs) etc. If we make our descriptions interesting, this will help generate generic "hits" to our 360 spheres which means more views.

So when writing your description for your star 360 sphere screenshot, think of it as a mini post of it's own. Give it some thought, make it interesting but there's no need to go overboard!!!

4 Examples of star 360 sphere screenshots

For a great example of how to post your screenshot of your star video, I encourage you to check out the 360 spheres by fellow Connect Moderator @LightRich and @AT_Rome.

5 - Updating your star 360 sphere :

From time to time you might wish to edit or update your star 360 sphere.  For example, you have made a mistake in your post or the star views may have increased or you might even have a new star 360 sphere!  Simple! There are two different scenarios here, (a) editing or updating your existing star 360 sphere and (b) adding a new star 360 sphere!

1. when editing or updating your existing star 360 sphere you simply re-visit your existing entry in this post and update it using either of the two procedures mentioned in Sections 5.1 and 5.2 below, which as you can see depends on whether you are or are not currently participating on the Top 100 Local Guides leaderboards.

** It's important to note that when editing or updating your existing star 360 sphere you must not start a new comment for this.

2. when adding a new star 360 sphere, you add it in a new comment on this post following the steps detailed in Section #3 above.

5.1 Participant on the Top 100 Local Guides leaderboards

1. Visit your Maps profile and take a new screenshot of your new or current star 360 sphere thumbnail showing the current star views and in the format as specified in points 1 to 3 of the formatting criteria in section 3 above.
  2. Update your star 360 sphere details on the Top 100 Local Guides system.
  3. Copy the caption suggested on the Top 100 Local Guides system
  4. If you are adding a new star 360 sphere as described in point 5(b) above then add this in a new comment in this post following the steps detailed in Section 3 above and then go to step 16 below.  If on the other hand you editing or updating your existing star 360 sphere (see point 5(a) above) then continue on with the following steps.
  5. Find your star 360 sphere as you previously added in this album post.
  6. Select the ellipsis menu (3 blue dots)
  7. Select Edit Reply
  8. Select the screenshot of your star 360 sphere
  9. Select the pencil icon to activate the edit function
  10. Delete your old star 360 sphere screenshot
  11. Add the new screenshot showing the updated star 360 sphere views
  12. Paste the caption copied at step 3 above.
  13. Select Done
  14. You could add in your description a brief mention of the change in 360 sphere's star views for example:
    Date       Star views
    Feb 2023  540,000
    Mar 2033  765,000
    Apr 2023   867,050
  15. Select   Save Changes
  16. Job done! Grab a coffee!!

5.2 Non-participant on the Top 100 Local Guides leaderboards

1. Visit your Maps profile and take a new screenshot of your new or current star 360 sphere thumbnail showing the current star views and in the format as specified in points 1 to 3 of the formatting criteria in section 3 above.
  2. Find your star 360 sphere as you previously added in this album post.
  3. Select the ellipsis menu (3 blue dots)
  4. Select Edit Reply
  5. Select the screenshot of your star 360 sphere
  6. Select the pencil icon to activate the edit function
  7. Take a copy of the current caption
  8. Delete your old star 360 sphere screenshot
  9. Add the new screenshot showing the new or updated star 360 sphere views
  10. Paste back the old caption
  11. Update the star views and star views date on the caption
  12. Select Done
  13. Select Save Changes
  14. Job done! Grab a coffee

6 - The Top 100 Local Guides Star 360 sphere leaderboards:

As mentioned in the introduction above, as well as adding your star 360 sphere in this album, if you wish, you can also join the soon to be released Top 100 Local Guides Star 360 sphere leaderboards. If you wish to join this fun, motivational and educational adjunct to this post, then hit this link.  As well as the Star 360 sphere leaderboards, you will also see how you can join other Top 100 Local Guides leaderboards, namely the Points, Photo Views and Countries focused leaderboards which are described here.

7 - Conclusion

OK so now let's start learning what are the best type of 360 spheres to contribute to Maps.  In the meantime, if you have any questions then add them in the Discussion on Star Photos, Videos & 360 Spheres post.

I do hope that you will join me and the many other Local Guides interesting in learning how to improve the quality of our 360 sphere contributions to Maps.

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
23 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Local Guides, 2023 Album of Star Photos

Caption: @LightRich's Star 360 Sphere of Centro Deportivo Chapultepec AC uploaded onto Google Maps on 2017-03-16 and showing star views of 789,124 as at 2023-11-28Caption: @LightRich's Star 360 Sphere of Centro Deportivo Chapultepec AC uploaded onto Google Maps on 2017-03-16 and showing star views of 789,124 as at 2023-11-28

Centro Deportivo Chapultepec AC, Mexico City, Mexico

I think this was the first 360 photo i shot and it was done with the now extinct Street View app. I'm amazed with the quality of the images this app could shoot, based in the specs of the cell phone camera.

It was kind of funny because i felt a little bit embarrassed when i was shooting with my cell phone spinning around the same spot, pointing out to the sky and the floor multiple times. At that time to see someone doing that could seem pretty strange, haha. Fortunately, it was early in the morning and just  few people was around. Anyway  i tried to do it as fast as posible and that's why the stitching was not perfect.

Level 9

Re: Local Guides, 2023 Album of Star Photos

Caption: @AT_Rome's Star 360 Sphere of Giardino degli Aranci uploaded onto Google Maps on 2017-05-07 and showing star views of 797,370 as at 2024-01-28Caption: @AT_Rome's Star 360 Sphere of Giardino degli Aranci uploaded onto Google Maps on 2017-05-07 and showing star views of 797,370 as at 2024-01-28

>"Giardino degli Aranci" (Orange Garden), Roma, Italy

This is one of my rare photos taken in "360 degree" mode, and depicts the suggestive and romantic "Giardino degli Aranci" (garden of orange trees) located on the Aventine hill, in the heart of ancient Rome near the Circus Maximus.

It is possible to see in the distance the unmistakable profile of the dome of St. Peter's, in the Vatican City (which, I recall, is the smallest sovereign state in the world)

Connect Moderator

Re: Local Guides, 2023 Album of Star 360 Spheres

PLACE HOLDER - RESERVED

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Level 10

Screenshot 2023-09-05 065931.jpgCaption: @jayasimha78  Star 360 Sphere of Regal Stockton City Center, Movie Theater uploaded onto Google Maps on 2019-11-10 and showing star views of 451544 as at 2023-09-05

Here is the link to the star photo

Connect Moderator

Caption: @LudwigGermany's Star 360 Sphere of Schöner Brunnen uploaded onto Google Maps on 2018-02-05 and showing star views of 500,006 as at 2023-09-06Caption: @LudwigGermany's Star 360 Sphere of Schöner Brunnen uploaded onto Google Maps on 2018-02-05 and showing star views of 500,006 as at 2023-09-06

Schöner Brunnen Nürnberg Hauptmarkt 

This view is showing the central marketplace in Nuremberg. It was taken with a Ricoh Theta S 360 degree camera. The Ricoh Theta S was my first 360 camera, followed by a Ricoh Theta V and now I own a Insta360 One R. My experience in 360s is constantly improving as well as the photo quality with each new generation of cameras.

also have a look at my star photo here

also have a look at my star video here

Please mention me with @LudwigGermany on your reply, so I get notified

Connect Moderator   Maps   Instagram   Twitter 

Level 9

Caption: @nigelfreeney's Star 360 Sphere of Nuffield Health Taunton Fitness & Wellbeing Gym uploaded onto Google Maps on 2019-11-01 and showing star views of 38,299 as at 2023-12-29Caption: @nigelfreeney's Star 360 Sphere of Nuffield Health Taunton Fitness & Wellbeing Gym uploaded onto Google Maps on 2019-11-01 and showing star views of 38,299 as at 2023-12-29 

Nuffield Health Taunton Fitness & Wellbeing Gym, Taunton, United Kingdom

This is one Iof the first 360 images I uploaded onto Google Maps. I was simply experimenting. I was not very skilled at editing then, hence the big blurred patches to hide the camera and tripod - I have come a long way since then. The camera was an Insta360 OneX.

In the following years I have had two new camera upgrades. The Ricoh Theta Z1 51GB. This was good but has limited video capability and as I also create blue lines for Google Street View was not a practical solution. I now use an Insta360 One RS 1 Inch 360 Edition. This gives me the best balance of workflow and adaptability.

I am also developing my skills in editing to hide the camera and tripod, as well as efficiently and quickly blurring faces etc. Of course, it is much easier if you can compose the image so that it needs the least amount of editing afterwards!

Level 10

Caption: @Kumaarsantosh's Star 360 Sphere of Reliance Digital uploaded onto Google Maps on 2023-06-15 and showing star views of 10,565 as at 2023-12-01Caption: @Kumaarsantosh's Star 360 Sphere of Reliance Digital uploaded onto Google Maps on 2023-06-15 and showing star views of 10,565 as at 2023-12-01

Reliance Digital, Spectrum Metro Mall, Noida, Gautam Buddha Nagar, India

Spectrum Metro Mall is newly developed Mall in the heart of Noida, Gautam Buddha Nagar, Uttar Pradesh, India. This 360 sphere photo is taken in the basement of the Mall where one of the giant anchors Reliance Digital is there. This outlet is a great place for electronic and digital products. Along with this several other outlets are there covering textiles, super stores and café. Being the latest developed place, it is comparatively less crowded and hence better place for visitors even during the peak hours. 

The change in 360 sphere'star views in last FOUR cycles:
Date                                    Star views        Change in Star Views
09-September-2023               5051                          ----
30-September-2023               6362                         1311

01-November-2023                8509                         2147 

01-December-2023              10,565                        2056

Indian National FlagThree-time Connect Challenge Winner BadgeAccessibility Challenge BadgeConnect Challenge BadgeTRAC NOVICE Badge

My Map | My Insta | My Post Gallery

Coach I Mentor I Photographer I Traveler

Anonymous
Not applicable

This content has been removed.
Level 10

Betreff: Local Guides, 2023 Album of Star 360 Spheres

JohnDDoe_0-1707339688799.png

Caption: @JohnDDoe's Star 360 Sphere of Kurfürstendamm uploaded onto Google Maps on 2022-05-28 and showing star views of 461,443 as at 2023-11-24

Kurfürstendamm, Berlin, Deutschland

Kurfürstendamm is the main shopping street in Berlin's Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf district, running from Rathenauplatz in the Grunewald district to Breitscheidplatz with the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in the Charlottenburg district, where it merges with Tauentzienstraße.