JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: LetsGuide Podcast Episode 40: The Truth about Views

I clicked on the link, and the podcast section said, "This content is not available in your country." I am from Bangladesh, so how can I listen to these episodes? @JanVanHaver 

Connect Moderator

Hello @NahidHossain the link on the website is leading to the Spotify player, and unfortunately this is not available in all countries. You should be able to find the podcast in any podcast player, though - just search for "LetsGuide Podcast".

Alternatively, you can also access it here:

https://anchor.fm/letsguide-podcast

or here

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cDovL2ZlZWRzLnNvdW5kY2xvdWQuY29tL3VzZXJzL3NvdW5kY2xvdWQ6dXNlcnM...

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 9

Thanks, @JanVanHaver Google podcast link worked from the website. I have already listened to 75% of it. Hats off to your dedication. That is a quality podcast production.

Connect Moderator

I started listening to your podcast about a week ago @JanVanHaver however, as it is quite long, I got interrupted and had to stop.  I was luckier today as I had a little more time and after starting again I managed to listen to it all, and very much enjoyed it.  When it comes to views, the opinions of the three guests together with your input as to the best photos to take and the source of views, indeed made it a very interesting podcast. And to boot, I'm sure that all listeners will learn something form the podcast. Thank you for the opportunity to give my input on what is always a fascinating topic 🙂

By the way, congratulations and reaching 40 episodes and here's to the next 40 😉

Level 10

I came back because I've located yet another place that Featured Maps Photos are showing up: YouTube!

While checking out the December 31st conclusion to the longest 90-day challenge ever undertaken, by @AZ_2021, I noticed the video description now includes a Locations section. The Location includes a direct link to the POI on Maps with ... an image of the POI. 

Caption: Screenshot of an expanded YouTube description boxCaption: Screenshot of an expanded YouTube description box

The video was uploaded with the location added, but the 'Locations' section seems to be a recent addition as none of her videos prior to mid-December have the map link. I checked a Canadian channel and their location-tagged videos only show the new 'Locations' section in January dated uploads. Other accounts that have tagged popular locations around my area are not showing the 'Locations' map link. 

I've dug through YouTube community posts and cannot find any announcements regarding this new feature. 🤔 Either way, yet another place for a featured photo to get views.

JustJake TRAC Badge
Level 10

Wow @JustJake 

My neighbor, that is very observant of you. 🙂

Never knew that until you shared. 💕

Level 8

@JanVanHaver As one who is guilty of keeping too many browser tabs open, I finally got back to this today after many months. Glad that you included my friends @AdamGT @TerryPG @MortenCopenhagen as guest speakers.

You mentioned funeral parlours as potential high view objects. I had wondered about this a while ago, but thought it was too morbid. Will definitely reconsider now.

The reference to the old out-of-business Chinese restaurant caught my attention. I have a photo of a church location with 23,000 views which now gets just 100 to 200 views per month (based on my records in Excel). I pass this location quite often when I go for my exercise walks, and I'm almost certain it isn't there anymore, yet I get these ongoing views. It was a church in an office building, but I no longer see the sign or any worship activity. I'm hesitant to delete it because people are still viewing it. Maybe it has a proper sanctuary now but people still see my old photo when they try to Google the correct address. If I can find that, I'll add it and delete the old one. 

About clicks, views, and displays. I don't agree that opening a POI with 1000 photos counts as 1 view for each photo. Then there wouldn't be featured photos and cover photos, as all would be equal other than any difference based on age of photo. Today I opened a POI and started to scroll through the 679 photos listed. I think I may have stopped at less than halfway. Hard to imagine that the other half also got counted as viewed. 

Connect Moderator

Just to be clear @tony_b , if you open a POI withe a 1000 pictures, I also don't think all of those 1000 pics will get a +1 on their view count, but only the ones that get loaded (from the Google server) into the memory of your device. The exact quantity will depend on the device and the extent to which you scroll through the pictures - at least that is my best guess 😃

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply