AdamGT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Leaderboards of the Most Viewed Photos

Yes you're right @JanVanHaver and as I had discussed in PM with @MortenCopenhagen at the start, I foreshadowed that it would and as you say, it's in a positive way.  Yes the engagement and not just by trivial comments, from LGs all over the world has been amazing and the interest shown (comments and PMs) from LGs at all levels is really satisfying.

Yes as recent as a couple of days ago there was quite a bit of missing information which was needed to complete this phase of the idea behind this post.  This necessitated prompts by both comments and PMs but still it was only dribbling in so then, thanks to @Erik_van_den_Ham, we rolled our sleeves up and put in some extra effort behind the scene to find the missing details ourselves.  This was time consuming but I couldn't see any other way as, as mentioned in the post, I want to lock in the Leaderboards in as a reference dataset and my plan has been to do this by 31 July, 2020.  It's clear that we will now make it.  After this date, if there is sufficient interest and time permitting, I will create leaderboards for August so that we will see delta performance of our "star" and overall photos.   Additional to this, based on the focus of this post, I have another idea that I'm exploring.

Thanks for thoughts about the contributing factors to achieving a high average views/picture count.  Along these lines, as well as what makes a "star photo", I have toyed a lot with things like what contributes to having a feature photo. 

Top 100 Local Guides Leaderboards from over 100 different countries!!!
Connect Moderator

That average count per picture is staggering @DFX . It really shows that making a conscious effort to strive for quality content only does make a huge difference. Congratulations on your approach and the way you execute it. Your pictures really look extremely nice!

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

Thanks for participating @Stphn I've now entered your data and updated the Leaderboards.  Looks like a great restaurant and a great place to have a birthday dinner, congratulations.

Level 10

Re: Ladder of the Most Viewed Photos

Hello, my friend @AdamGT 

Sorry for bothering you...

In fact, my idea was to give the company to you... NOT that I wanted to be listed; however, let me do the best, for you.

1. Visit your Photos Contribution area and sort your list of photos by views to show your "star photo", the top photo having the highest number of views.  Take a snap or screen grab of your "star photo" clearly showing the number of views and add this photo your reply message.

Provided

1. Provide a brief description of what the photo is off.

Provided

1. Work out the date that you uploaded your photo to Maps and add this to your message.  You might need to approximate this from the date of your review or the photo's date created value (see your photo's Metadata properties).

Attaching a Screenshot – hope this will help.

1. In your message tell us if this your best photo.

NOT AT ALL (one of my accidental uploads, in the beginning)

1. Also, tell us why do you think it's your "star photo".

I surely do not think that way at all.

1. Tell us what do you think are the important factors that contribute to photo view stats.

One way it is too lengthy for me to explain in few words, the other way, even today I keep wondering the algorithm working to select this.

1. What camera did you use to take your "star photo"?

Provided

1. Provide the total number of photos that you have uploaded onto Maps, and finally,

Close to 50,000 (I have a very lengthy explanation for this)

1. Add the total number of photo views.

Close to 7,40,00,000 only (my large number of rural photos yielded very poor score)
Just for your reference (will delete later)Just for your reference (will delete later)
Regards

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Connect Moderator

Re: Ladder of the Most Viewed Photos

Thank you @TravellerG, all I needed was the answer to point #3 the date you uploaded your top photo.  Am I write to understand that this was uploaded onto Maps in August 2017?

Level 9

Moscow Anton Chupilko STAR PHOTO

1. Below is my "star photo": Kids policlinic #33 MoscowKids policlinic #33 MoscowMore million viewsMore million views
  2. It is:  my every week #MoscowDowntown weekend photo walk! I took a snap of my early youth places - that is Kids Doctors offices near Tverskaya street in Moscow on  Fadeev street ‘Children polyclinic #33’ 
  3. I took/uploaded this photo on: January 2020
  4. Is it my best photo?  Sure not !  Have plenty of great city photos from historic and tourist places, you may roll down it in My profile, but understood that Google Maps promote good photos only on commercial basis for owners like hotels etc 
  5. Why do I think it's my "star photo"?  i think  it really helps Moms and people with kids to find right place  !!!  
  6. I think the important factors that contribute to making a top photo are:
    do not know 
  7. The camera I used is:  Sony a7ii with Sonyang 8 mm lens 
  8. My total number of photos is: 3216
  9. My total number of photos views is: 7,557,962 on July 30, 2020 
Moscovite and living all life Moscow Down Town
Connect Moderator

Hi all,

I've just updated the Leaderboards with all the available data..  In my original analysis and calculations I based the Average views per day on the original date of my post.  I've changed this to the date that the image of the "star photo" was submitted by the respective LG so that it better related to the "star views" value.  I envisage one or possibly two more update before locking in these datasets as a base reference.  Please check the Leaderboards and advise of any errors or omissions.

Connect Moderator

Hello @AdamGT 

I update my photo.

EEF7037A-EFD5-4F27-8D10-DF5E83A9D72F.jpeg

 it is a Elektrofachmarkt very popular in Europe.

The photo did make a big jump during the lockdown. I think within the last 12 month around 4 Millionen added views.

The date I took, was August 2017. so you are right 😉 

Hello @AdamGT ,

Screenshot_20200731-075903~2.png

This is my top photo. I think it is taken around June 2018.

It is in a shopping center in Kraków and wasn't featured in the beginning. 

It achieved my top view place only around 6 weeks ago. There are three photos who are currently my runner. Some top view photos from the past have disappeared.

In fact I don't understand why my top photos are top, while they are not the best....

In this time I only took photos with iPhone 6,7 or 8. Now I use as well Google Pixel 3.

As you can see, I have reached 1g views (yesterday). 

I have about 2.000 pictures out of my 47420 not shown public. Most are from the near past. Maybe due to Corona? @MortenCopenhagen did already philosophy about this with me.

So not sure what I take for the average view.

I have only a view photos about 2.000.000 . Most are under 100.000 .

Regards Torben

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

Hi @TorM 

Perfect, I see you have already added your data here in a comment.  I will take it from here.  Have a great holiday!

Level 8

1.png2.png3.png

• This is my "Star photo", and also the first photo I uploaded in Google Maps.
  • It is a photo of a local police station, one can see the front side of this place.
  • I uploaded this photo on 15 March 2017.
  • This is not my best photo, but all credits go to this photo as my journey as a local guide started from this photo.
  • I think this is my star photo as this is a major landmark in the area, so at any online orders or deliveries, this place is given as landmark. Also because of love for our hardworking police
  • Important factors that contribute to making a top photo are:
    • I am not a good photographer 😛
    • I took the photo from a distance so that a proper view gives proper information and one can experience how the place will be like when they enter this area.
    • Comparing to my other photos of the very same place, it can be seen without tilting your phone, so it is vertical aligned. (See above pictures for details).
    • Camera: Xolo Era X Smartphone
    • Count of photos: 959 as of "31-07-2020"
    • Total Number of Views: 1,176,869 as of "31-07-2020"