AnoukV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

#LGSummit16 - recap, video and more

Hi all,

Our first ever Local Guides Summit took place two weeks ago in the San Francisco Bay Area and what an incredible couple of days it was. Highlights were meeting and interacting with 75 Level 5 Local Guides from 37 countries, some traveling as far as 22,000 miles (Reunion Island) to attend, as well as having the Vice President of Google Maps, Jen Fitzpatrick, share her vision and how Local Guides play a key role in improving the map for everyone. Check out this article in Business Insider that celebrates Local Guides and their impressive contributions.  

Group pic1.JPG

Even though 75 Local Guides actually participated, we hope others managed to follow along on the fun on social. Check out the #LGSummit16 social feed in case you missed it. Here is a little recap of what took place:

• On day 1 the whole crew headed to Googleplex in Mountain View bright and early for a morning of Google Maps inspiration, featuring a keynote by head of Google Maps Jen Fitzpatrick, a panel with Googlers working on user-generated content, a talk by a Street View engineer about the past, present and future of Street View and an eye-opening talk by Rebecca Moore who works on projects to improve the world through Maps. In the afternoon we had a series of breakout sessions led by product managers and engineers on topics such as Google My Business and saving places to lists. We ended a very busy day with a BBQ on campus with food, games and mingling.

Jen Fitzpatrick, VP of Google MapsJen Fitzpatrick, VP of Google MapsLocal Guides visiting GoogleplexLocal Guides visiting Googleplex

• On day 2 we spent the morning in the San Francisco office in two panels learning from Local Guides community managers about their day to day and getting some tips from star meet-up hosts. We also learned more about how to take nice quality photos with your mobile and took part in a product feedback session. In the afternoon we headed out into the Mission District to discover some local independent businesses, from artisan chocolate makers to a micro-brewery. We closed the summit with a bang over drinks, burgers and s'mores, following by some bowling. 

Local Guides visiting the Cheese School on the Geo WalkLocal Guides visiting the Cheese School on the Geo WalkClosing party at the Mission Bowling Club in San FranciscoClosing party at the Mission Bowling Club in San Francisco

Have a look at this short video that gives a good overview of the summit:

And here are all the official photos from the Summit.

It was an incredible inaugural summit, all due to the passion and enthusiasm of the Local Guides present. We'll keep you posted about our plans for next year!

103 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: #LGSummit16 - recap, video and more

This was such an amazing experience to be a part of. Our Local Guides are so awesome!

Level 7

nice summit

Level 4

This is so cool! I hope to go sometime!

Level 9

That looks like so much fun. I hope to make it next year.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be a level 5 soon and look forward to next year.

Not applicable

Beautiful 🙂

Level 8

I hope i have enough memberships to do that.

Level 6

Are any of the sessions recorded??  If so, can we watch??

Level 10