JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

#LGCTM Tips & Tricks: Legal Name Duplicates

This tip is really a special case of the Merge workflow that @MortenCopenhagen has posted as part of this #LGCTM series. It applies in the specific case where you find a duplicate listing with one of the listings using the "correct" (in the Google Maps sense: the name as it is used on the storefront) and another listing using the "legal" name (the one used to register it with the local authorities such as the Chamber of Commerce).

A screenshot showing the approved edits from local guide @JanVanHaver's list of editsA screenshot showing the approved edits from local guide @JanVanHaver's list of edits

A specific example can be seen in the screenshot, which nicely ilustrates that it is not really easy to get a merge edit approved (as you can also read in this Case Study). What I came across was a POI literally in the middle of a crossroads that had the category Restaurant by the name of "Fong Fook". About 100 meters away from the crossroads was a Chinese restaurant called "Shang Hai", and the fact that Fong Fook definitely also sounds oriental made me decide to check this out more thoroughly. 

And sure enough, a little bit of Googling (in most countries there are both official and commercial websites that offer lists of businesses and their addresses) revealed that there was indeed a business in the restaurant sector with the official name Fong Fook at address where Shang Hai is situated. Another duplicate spotted, so I went into full LGCTM mode 😁 !

Simply reporting it as duplicate would most certainly have resulted in a Not Applied, so I started making the changes needed - you should read the screenshot from the bottom to the top:

1. move the map marker for the Fong Fook listing from the middle of the crossroads to the actual location
  2. change the name to Shang Hai (as that name edit was successful, the overview of my edits in the screenshot no longer has Fong Fook in them , of course)
  3. change the category to Chinese Restaurant to match the category of Shang Hai
  4. suggest the merge

The result, after the first 3 had been approved: the merge was approved by the algorithm within seconds, as you can see from the fact that all edits have the same edit date (if manual checks are needed, the delay between submitting and approval is typically a couple of weeks).

There are a lot more post about the #LGCTM (Local Guides Clean the Map) project - you can find the main post with all the links here.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Hamme, België
9 comments
Level 9

Re: #LGCTM Tips & Tricks: Legal Names

Very interesting info @JanVanHaver 

#LocalGuidesUSA ~ Accessibility Champion ~ Guiding Star 2021 

Connect Moderator

Hi @JanVanHaver 

Your heading made me think your post was about removing legal jargon like Ltd. Inc. etc. 

Cheers

Morten

UPDATE: Thanks for fixing it!

Level 9

Re: #LGCTM Tips & Tricks: Legal Name Duplicates

Great findings and tricks, @JanVanHaver .

But it makes me a little bit confused: Which one of those restaurant that is really exist now? (Because those have very different names, eventhough same asian style name, I usually assume that those was 2 different restaurant at the same location but at different time/year, which is one of those is already out of business).

And what is the benefit for them to put 2 different POI on near location, which is one of those is using its storefront name and the other is using its legal/factory name? Was it a common practice? Because I never found case like this here in Indonesia (yet).

Thanks for sharing. Interesting to learn something

Connect Moderator

Hi @JanVanHaver and @Hendrik_Eko_K 

I think this #LGCTM post is closely related to what we discussed here.

Cheers

Morten

Connect Moderator

Actually @iorikun301 there always was just 1 restaurant there, and the name on the storefront was always Shang Hai. And I also don't think that the 2nd POI (with the legal name and the incorrect location) was created on purpose, but rather that it was the result of some kind of import of a database with businesses - something we notice a lot here in Belgium.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

Thanks for the feedback @Erna_LaBeau 

Level 9

Ah, I see. Thanks for the lesson, @JanVanHaver . Interesting findings.

Level 10

Thanks a million, dear friend @JanVanHaver 

A very valuable TIP & workflow.

I shall try soon & update.

Regards

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Connect Moderator

@JanVanHaver Just wow! That's a lot of workflow to get that completed! Go you!!!