MortenCopenhagen's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

#LGCTM Tips & Tricks: Fixing ALL CAPS names quicker

Hi fellow Local Guides,

As an avid editor of Google Maps content, I often see businesses use ALL CAPS in the name and I immediately want to correct this. This naming violation is super easy to spot - we don't even have to open a pin to check.

An image showing a business before and after fixing the misuse of All-Caps. Notice that the reference to the location was also removed from the name.An image showing a business before and after fixing the misuse of All-Caps. Notice that the reference to the location was also removed from the name.

Using only ALL CAPS is clearly against the guidelines issued by the Google Business Profile program. If you want to check the relevant guidelines, please click here. Basically, All Caps can only be used if the name is a shorthand and is no longer than 4 letters.

Until yesterday I have been using the free website caseconverter.com to convert longer names to small letters. I use this only if it will be quicker than retyping the name using the proper case. It does take some time to open the website, copy/paste the wrong name, press Proper Case, then copy the correct name, and then finally paste it onto Google Maps.

Here is one example:

BAJWA IMMIGRATION CONSULTANTS in Melbourne. I can only speculate why they chose to use only All Caps in the business name. I select the name and copy "BAJWA IMMIGRATION CONSULTANTS" to caseconverter.com and hit Proper Case. Then the name is changed to "Bajwa Immigration Consultants". I select the correctly capitalized name and paste it onto Google Maps. This also prevents me from introducing any typos.

Give it a try:

MortenCopenhagen_0-1690711840898.gif

This has worked well for me for a couple of years now. It works on both desktop and mobile. 

The new method

But yesterday I found an even faster method to use on mobile devices using Gboard as the Keyboard. 

The article Got Gboard? 12 hidden shortcuts for faster Android Typing inspired me to use Gboard a lot smarter. Including the trick, I will explain below. As I bonus I also learned to use the Gboard dictionary to create a macro to type 

"

Cheers

Morten" 

a lot faster.

To explain how to quickly convert All Caps to Proper Case using Gboard I prepared this animation:

MortenCopenhagen_1-1690711841122.gif

You open the place, select the entire name, and press SHIFT twice. Then close the keyboard, hit Submit, and you are done! This could not be easier or faster. And typos are eliminated. 

Enjoy.

This guide is part of the Local Guides Clean The Map Project

Get informed about the Top 6 Business Naming Violations here.

You may also find the Pro Mouse Tip for Editors interesting.

Cheers

Morten

Copenhagen, Denmark
20 comments
Level 8

Re: #LGCTM Tips & Tricks: Fixing ALL CAPS names quicker

Wow, super! What a great time saving tip. Thanks for sharing!

Level 10

That's really nice and useful tip @MortenCopenhagen 

Thanks for sharing 

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Level 10

Level 10

Hello @MortenCopenhagen ,

Thanks for sharing this fastest way of editing business name which are in caps. It does work. I have tried it by your method.

JAI HO!!!

Indian National FlagThree-time Connect Challenge Winner BadgeAccessibility Challenge BadgeConnect Challenge BadgeTRAC NOVICE Badge

My Map | My Insta | My Post Gallery

Coach I Mentor I Photographer I Traveler

Level 10

Great work, thanks for sharing 

Level 10

@MortenCopenhagen Thank you very much for sharing this tip. It will definitely save time to contribute more. 

Level 10

@MortenCopenhagen 

Woh ! really smart. 

Thanks and Regards

Level 8

Thank you so much @MortenCopenhagen for sharing this smart way of editing names,

especially the use of Gboard, it really makes work done very easily.

Connect Moderator

Hi Guys,

I have an update on this topic related to fixing ALL CAPS in business names when using a Desktop computer. 

I suggested using Caseconcerter.com earlier, but I have not been thrilled with it because it takes a lot of mouse clicks to fix a name. So I found an extension to Chrome that is named Change Case. You can find it here.  And now I can fix Upper case names by pressing a single shortcut. 

After installation, you need to select which shortcut you will want to use. 

Screenshot 2023-12-06 21.35.25.png

As you can see, I chose Alt+x to convert selected text to Title case, meaning each word starts with a capital letter. 

This is super convenient and fast.

Please give it a try, @Ankit_Raj @HsRawal @AnuradhaP @NABILazeez @Kumaarsantosh @JeroenM @JanVanHaver @Amiran @AZ_2021 

Cheers

Morten