jayasimha78's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Karnataka State #WorldChallenge #StateChallenge

Collage of various famous structures in Karnataka shot by LG @jayasimha78  in my various trips to India with Karnataka Map!

This post is part of the  #worldchallenge #StateChallenge Meetups from Team USA, hosted by @Denise_Barlock and by me @jayasimha78 

Quick Basic Facts about Karnataka

Capital – Bangalore
Official Language – Kannada
Area – 1,91,791 Sq Km
Area Rank – 7th
Population – 6,11,30,704
Population Rank – 8th
Population Density – 320 /Sq Km
No. of Districts -30
Created on – 1 Nov, 1956
First Chief Minister – K Chengalaraya Reddy
First Governor – Jayachamrajendra Wadiyar
Highest peak – Mullayyanagiri (in western ghat)

Collage of various symbols of State of Karnataka

State Symbols of Karnataka
State Tree – Sandalwood
State Flower – Lotus
State Animal – Asian Elephant
State Bird – Indian Roller
State Dance – Yakhsgan
State Language – Kannada
State Emblem – Gandaberunda (two headed mythological bird)

Famous People from Karnataka

• K V Puttappa – Who is also popularly known by his pen name Kuvempu is considered as one of the greatest poet of Kannada literature.
  • Sir M. (Mokshagundam) Visvesvaraya : Civil Engineer by profession, Bharatha Ratna Winner and also He was knighted as a Knight Commander of the British Indian Empire (KCIE) by King George V for his contributions to the public good
  • H D Devegowda – who has served as Chief Minister of Karnataka and Prime Minister of India belongs to Hassan district of Karnataka. Jagdish Shettar, Veerappa Moili, S M Krishna and George Fernandes are the famous politician who are related to Karnataka.
  • Bhimsen Joshi – is a popular Khayal singer was born in the then Dharwad (present Gadag district) of Karnataka.
  • Prasanna, Chandrashekar, Gundappa Vishwnath, Syed Kirmani, Anil Kumble, Javagal Srinath, Rahul Dravid, KL Rahul are the famous cricketers who belong to Karnataka.
  • Prakash Padukone and Ashwini Ponappa are famous Badminton players and both were born in Bengaluru.
  • Shakuntala Devi – who is also called as Human Computer is also known for her skills in Mathematics, Puzzles and Astrology was born in Bengaluru.
  • Dr.Rajkumar, Aishwarya Rai: Actor

PS: This does not necessarily cover all famous people from Karnataka, Please feel free to add famous people you know in the comment.

Historical Facts about Karnataka

"As per quickgs.com here are few historical facts about Karnataka

• Karnataka was created on 1 Nov 1956 with the name Mysore state. On 1 Nov 1973 the name was changed to Karnataka.
    • Vijaynagar was a great Hindu empire of South India at the present location of Karnataka. This kingdom was defeated by Deccan Sultanates in the Battle of Talikota in 1565. The ruins of Hampi reminds the glorious past of Vijaynagar empire. Visit this post by LG @TravellerG  to get a glimpse of Hampi
    • To check the British expansion towards Mysore state, Hyder Ali and his son Tipu Sultan fought four significant Anglo-Mysore wars. After the death of Tipu Sultan in 4th and last Anglo Mysore war, Mysore state was annexxed to British territory in 1799.

Collage of Tipu Sultan related architecture shot by LG @jayasimha78 in srirangapatna

• Kittur Queen Chenamma revolted against British in 1811 as a resentment towards Doctrine of Lapse."

Geographic Facts about Karnataka

"As per quickgs.com here are few Geographic facts about Karnataka

• Karnataka borders with 6 states – Goa in west, Maharashtra in north, Telangana in northeast, Andhra Pradesh in east, Tamil Nadu in southeast and Kerala in southwest.
    • The two important river system are i) Krisna and tributaries, ii) Cauvery and tributaries. Both these rivers flow out of Karnataka eastwards to Bay of Bengal. Tungbhadra and Kabini are other important rivers.
    • The name Karnataka is derived from Karunadu means “lofty land”.
    • Important Mountains of Karnataka – Western Ghats, Chitradurga Hills, Biligiri Rangan Hills, Nandi Hills, Badami Hills, Gokak Hills
    • Mullayyanagiri (in western ghat) is the Highest peak of Karnataka with an altitude of 1930 m.
    • Gersoppa (Jog Falls) is world famous and is the second highest plunge waterfall of India. Tallest plunge waterfall of India is Nohkalikai Falls (335 mt) in Meghalaya.
    • Uttara Kannada is the largest district of Karnataka by area. Bengaluru urban district is largest by population.
    • The natural park of Bandipur Wildlife sanctuary is 80 km from Mysore."

Collage of shots from trip to Bandipur and also Kabini resort

Social and Cultural Facts about Karnataka

• Sravanbelagola, which is famous for 18 meter high monolithic statue of Gomateswara is important Jain pilgrimage center

Collage of Sravanabelagola, photos shot by LG @jayasimha78 in my trip to India in 2019

• Gol Gumbaz of Bizapur has the second largest pre-modern dome just after Byzantine Hagia Sophia.

Collage of Golgumbaz and other attractions in Bijapur shot by LG @jayasimha78 on my trip to North Karnataka

• Mysore palace is the second most visited tourist destination of India just after Taj Mahal. It was built by Krishnarajendra Wadiyar IV in 1912.

Animated gif file of pictures of Mysore palace shot by LG @jayasimha78 during my various trips to Mysore.

• Yakshagana is a Poular dance form in  coastal districts of Karnataka.
  • The Carnatic and Hindustani style of classical music have deep roots in Karnataka. Purandara Das is considered as Father of Carnatic Music while Bhimsen Joshi, Gangubai Hangal, Mallikarjun Mansur are the popular exponents of Hindustani music.
  • Main festivals are – Mysore Dussera, Karaga, Ugadi and Diwali.

Economic Facts about Karnataka

"As per quickgs.com here are few Economic facts about Karnataka

• Karnataka accounts for 59 % of total Coffee production and 47 % of Ragi production.
  • The state accounts for 85 % of raw silk produced in the country.
  • Its sandal soap and sandal oil are renowned in world market.
  • Mineral Resources of Karnataka – Iron Ore, Copper, Chromite, magnesite, corundum, garnet, limestone.
  • Main industries of Karnataka – Aircraft, Electronics, Software, telecom equipment, alloy steel, machine tools, watches, porcelain etc
  • Main agricultural products – Rice, Jowar, Bajra, Ragi, Maize, Sunflower, Mulberry, Coconut etc.
  • New Mangalore port is the main all weather seaport. Besides this 10 minor ports are also there.
  • There are five working civilian commercial airports in Karnataka. These airports are located in Bangalore, Mangalore, Belgaum, Hubli-Dharwad and Mysore. Bangalore and Mangalore also have international airports along with domestic one.
  • HAL airport, Jakkur airport and Yelahanka air force station of Bangalore are military airbases."

StateSymbol.jfif

State Symbol for Karnataka

References: quickgs.com 

Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
30 comments
Level 10

Re: Karnataka State #WorldChallenge #StateChallenge

@AnshukMitra @NareshDarji @RosyKohli @FalguniP @Harsha_Reddy 

Here is a post for next week's #Worldchallenge based on Karnataka State. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Level 10

@Erna_LaBeau @SilvyC @KashifMisidia @JaneBurunina Here is a post for next Saturdays #Worldchallenge related to my home state Karnataka. Looking forward to seeing you there.

Connect Moderator

Wonderful post @jayasimha78 

I m so excited to join Karnataka #worldchallenge and want to win this time , and your post will be helpful for this win 😉

Thanks for sharing bhai ☺️

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 10

Level 9

@jayasimha78 

Beautiful post on Karnataka, we all are excited, & last Saturday I was 3rd hope this time will win. All best for the meet up All photo are awesome. 

Level 10

Connect Moderator

Level 10

Connect Moderator

I haven't joined any of that @jayasimha78 maybe you can tag me there somewhere sometimes!