Unzip_delhi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Journaling the Phoenix City, one day at a time!

I was born in an old mansion located somewhere within the hustling narrow lanes of Old Delhi. As a kid, my father, who is a businessman, used to take me around the city on his scooter, pointing out insignificant spots along the roads and telling me stories about these trivial corners. 

When I was growing up, my grandfather once told me that Delhi is a phoenix city. It caught my attention, me being the quintessential Harry Potter fan. He went on to explain that even though it was the capital city of so many ruling dynasties, no ruler could ever really conquer Delhi. There were many battles and the city was looted, burned and destroyed several times but it always rose, like a phoenix from its ashes, more resplendent and magnificent than before. As I imagined this in my head that whole night, it fascinated me even more and slowly the fascination grew into a new founded love for my city. 

As I grew up and started going around the city on my own for my school, college, tuitions, etc, I could always spot a grave surrounded or some ruins here and there around the city. I took up anthropology as a course and during my college days, a teacher once told our class that there is some heritage spot located within every mile of Delhi. I seconded him telling everyone about all the places I had encountered and the stories my father had told me as a kid. Everyone was awe-struck and my teacher applauded me for having such keen observation. Those were the early days of Instagram and that was when I opened up a new account to blog about the heritage of the city. Soon enough I also discovered the Local Guides platform where I could share my knowledge on Google Maps. I knew this was exactly what I had wanted to do, to journal every corner of my beloved city. 

Bylanes of Purani DilliBylanes of Purani DilliToday, being a blogger, writer and location recce expert, I travel a lot and hence encounter so many places and stories everywhere around Delhi as well as other places in India and abroad. From little quaint cafès to heritage monumental sites, I have been documenting everything on Google Maps while on the go. I hope that one day, I and my other Local Guide buddies will be able to make this world fully accessible at their fingertips to everyone around the globe.
Old Delhi, New Delhi, Delhi, India