cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

A wise person かしこいもの : 日本の神(2)

A wise person かしこいもの : 日本の神(2)

DSCN1797.JPG

It was the German missionary Karl Friedrich August Gützlaff that told God for the first time in Japan. It is 1837.
He translated the god heard from the Japanese fisherman who was shipwrecked and saved.
"There is a wise person at the beginning, this wise person is in paradise." Bible (John 1:1)
"A wise person" is "God".
Since the God of Christianity was not in Japan, He translated it as "wise person."
In modern times we do not express God as "wise".
The modern "a wise person" is a person with excellent knowledge and intelligence. It is not a word containing a religious meaning.

Continue(2)

日本に初めてGodを伝えようとしたときドイツ人宣教師のカール・F・A・ギュッツラフが1837年、漂流して助けられた日本人の漁師から聞き及んだ神をこのように翻訳してます。
「はじまりに、かしこいものござる。このかしこいもの ごくらくともにござる。このかしこいものわごくらく」ヨハネの福音書(聖書)
「かしこいもの」というのが「God」です。

キリスト教の神は日本にはありませんでしたので「かしこいもの」と翻訳しました。
現代では神を「かしこいもの」と表現しません。

現代の「かしこいもの」とは知識や知性に優れた者を言います。それは宗教的な意味を含む言葉ではありません。

続く(2)

Level 10

Re: A god of Japan

@aaryesdee

Thanks for sharing this post with us. me too

Google Moderator

Re: A wise person かしこいもの

Hi @shigeo,

It was very interesting to read about the translation of the Christian God in Japanese, as the concept of "god" is different in Japan. Thank you for sharing!

I'm going to merge your post with this one A god of Japan, as they both share the same topic.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Re: A wise person かしこいもの

@DeniGu

(*^▽^*)
  Thank you for sharing!