Malarik's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Is using a higher resolution Camera worth the expense for Google Maps?

Hi,   Since new higher pixel count DSLR's on coming on the Market...like a 50 MP Nikon....and since at least a 100 MP sensor has

been developed for medium format camera....what price point makes sense as a hobby?

I already have a Pentax K-1 which is a full format top Pentax that does all kinds of things like Astrophotography, HDR, Pixel-shift & much

more...that no other major brand has....so is it worth adding yet another brand to my collection?

Like the Nikon 850 @ 50 Maps?

How do you decide?

Thanks,

Paul 🙂

PMJ

Pismo Beach, CA, United States
4 comments
Level 8

Re: Is using a higher resolution Camera worth the expense for Google Maps?

I guess, lots of people will disagree with this, BUT here's my thoughts.

A 16 Megapixel image usually compresses (Hi Res) down to about 6 Megapixels

I'm guessing a 50 Megapixel image will probably compress into about a 18 Megapixel file.

So a viewer will take 3 times as long to see the picture show up on his screen and (VERY IMPORTANT!) if he/she is using a cell phone, will eat up 3 times more data from the phone's data plan.

Then think about this... A typical 1280 x 800 screen only has 1.02 Megapixels. Unless the person zooms in 75x, he's never going to see the difference.

-

Comments welcome.

Level 10

Hi @Malarik :

If you ask this question strictly with Local Guides in your mind, meaning everything else is

much less important, my firm answer is NO. It's not worth it. I've been working as a pro/semi pro

photographer for decades now. I use a Nikon D7000 for almost all my pro assignments including

architecture photography, weddings, special events etc. It's way more than Local Guides can handle.

Even if you post everything in original size (and pay for the extra storage) an everyday user won't

see the difference. If someone likes your works that much and downloads it and prints it out in

hi res format then maybe (only maybe) there'd be some difference. It hardly ever (if ever) happens.

For Local Guides a $500 camera with good image processing software (like Panasonic Lumix DMC-xxx)

is plenty ... more than sufficient. But again: it's just for Local Guides.

If you want to do real professional work the scenario is totally different. I still think it's not worth it

to buy the latest technology as soon as it's available (just like you don't buy the newest fridge that

sends you an sms when your beer is cold enough ...) except if/when your customers are willing to pay

for it. (Some people like their photographers to show up with the latest equipment at their weddings,

and they'd pay for it.) Also, if you, for example, need to do real high res architecture photography

you'd better have the right equipment.

Also, I have to mention that resolution is not necessarily directly proportional to quality. Two things that are IMHO

even more important: good lens and good software. 

Thank you for your idea to start this discussion. Good luck.

Level 6

Hi there Paul.

"I already have a Pentax K-1 which is a full format top Pentax that does all kinds of things like Astrophotography, HDR, Pixel-shift & much

more...that no other major brand has....so is it worth adding yet another brand to my collection"

If you like collecting cameras and money is no object... go ahead 🙂

These 36-50mp cameras are out of my price range to be honest. I'm happy with my Nikon D5300, one of the few Nikons with built in GPS (which has been really useful for tagging photos on road trips in India)

I used to have a Nikon D5100 and found the jump up to 24mp a nice addition to the features - for me It meant I could crop in a little or fix other small problems like a wonky horizon (it happens). I also only ever post photos to Flickr/Google maps at a resolution of 2400x1600, some other websites like Indiamike make you post even smaller photos, so the original 6000x4000 photos that the D5300 gives me, is plenty. Good luck with your choice.

James

Level 10

Hi @Malarik your question is old as like digital photography.

My suggestion is that you should buy the best you can afford, if you are an hobbyst.

I'm a professional photographer, so I often buy models that have been on the market at least 1-2 years, to be sure to get all the updates. Often i buy on 2nd hand market.

I always choose to buy hardware i can fund with my work.

About resolution, I'm not a big fan of resolution, i prefer low noise and high sensitivity as main features.

For SVT photography, unless you are not going to make gigapixel, a nice DX could be a better choice.

Please have a look to my gigapano: http://www.360roma.it/gianicolo2/