JoshA's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Is my Google+ profile linked

This is the first i am learning of this local guides thing and I find it pretty cool actually but I did wonder is my Google+ profile linked to the pictures I post (or anywhere that my name And profile picture appears) meaning are people able to see I added a photo or edited something and then able to click my name and are then redirected to my G+ profile?  Might be a dumb question but like I said I literally just discovered I was receiving points for edits whatnot where I had thought was just doing it to do it. Thanks for the insight! 

Ventura, CA, United States
7 comments

Accepted Solutions
Googler
Solution

Re: Is my Google+ profile linked

Hi @JoshA.  Your Google+ profile is not linked to your Local Guides account, however, your Google Account name and photo does appear with your contributions so someone could search for your Google+ account as the name on your Google+ account is the same as your Google Account name. I hope this information helps. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.

View solution in original post

Googler
Solution

Hi @JoshA.  Your Google+ profile is not linked to your Local Guides account, however, your Google Account name and photo does appear with your contributions so someone could search for your Google+ account as the name on your Google+ account is the same as your Google Account name. I hope this information helps. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 10

Well @JoshA and @TraciC, they are sort of interlinked. If you go to your contributions in Maps, you can se that there is a long number string there - your "ID number". 

This is the same as your G+ "ID number". If you have a custom G+ URL, the one with this link will redirect to that. 

Have a look at these screen shots: 

lg-id.png

g+-id.png

If you want to test it, here is my LG profile:

https://www.google.hu/maps/contrib/116030646877186188585

and here is my G+ profile:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/116030646877186188585 (this will eventually redirect)

with apparently the same ID in either 

From a photo posted in maps, anyone can get to your LG contribution page and from there - if they know the above - they can get to your G+ profile, too.

Googler

@Csaba You are indeed correct, though not many folks are aware this is possible. If you are viewing someone's profile within the Google Maps app (as many people do), you're unable to capture the profile URL but clicking on someone's face or profile in Google Maps will not directly take you to their Google+ profile. 

Level 10

Yes, you are certainly right, @TraciC, this is just a "hidden feature" for those aware of it. You may still think about solutions to protect LGs' privacy if needed. I am not concerned as I take whatever I do openly and publicly.

Level 3

Awesome question and I was wondering if they had permission to look at my photos too.google is tricky in the way that it links to anything google. I think I signed out of Google plus to keep my stuff more private but now I am signing back in to Google plus because of Google maps .I like you didn't know this was a thing but I am writing and I am forced to proofread and be positive and hope I can work up to the high end reviews,o.k. welcome and thanks for the question 

Level 6

Hey, is there a way of linking it though? 🙂 

Level 3

Yes,I only know about Google plus and you go into setting and check out the privacy button.But I took pictures of my apartment wen I moved in like ur suspose to so I didn't know people were seeing the dirty NYC apartment I was SOO proud of,so be careful and make a privacy folder.✌