SpencerField's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Influencer Events

Hey Team, 

I had a business owner ask me today if he can invite Google Local Guides to an Influencer Event he is hosting. I know that this is a common event in the Instagram world and it looks like Yelp has Elite Events but I didn't see a Google equivalent. 

Do you know how this business owner could work with Local Guides during this event?

Detroit, MI, USA
8 comments
Level 9

Re: Influencer Events

Hi @SpencerField:

This sounds like it may fall under a "Sponsored Event," which is allowed within the Terms and Conditions of the Local Guides Program. However, you may wish to seek a bit more details from the business owner and see what they may be looking for from the attending Local Guides. For example, it would be a violation of the Terms & Conditions if you, as a Local Guide, had to promise any contributions on Google Maps for attending the event. 

You may wish to check out this post and it has some information and guidelines on this type of event. There is also a link there for the Terms & Conditions of the program as well.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions at all!

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Connect Moderator

Hi @SpencerField I removed your Meetup post. Please make sure you read Local Guides Rules and the Core Values of Connect.

Connect isn't for promoting businesses. All Meetups need to be submitted via the Meetup system for Googler Review https://maps.google.com/localguides/meetup before they go live. 

Note that Maps does (in some regions) support Local Events which you could certainly submit a business posted Meetup there.

Regards Paul

Level 7

Hi Paul, 

I'm sorry for crossing a line. 

Before I posted the event I read this article: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Help-Desk/Guidelines-for-hosting-a-sponsored-meet-up/ba-p/6254... and posted in the Google My Business forms and was told this idea would be alright and followed all policies. 

Would you let me know what policy we tripped over?

Best,

Spencer 

Former Google Contributor

Thank you so much! @Shirley and @PaulPavlinovich

Hi @SpencerField, the "sponsored meet-up" is that Local Guides can partner with businesses to make their meet-ups more fun and less expensive for attendees.  A business can sponsor a meet-up by providing goods or services - for example: a discount to rent a venue, complimentary snacks, a free cup of coffee/tea, etc. However, it’s important that sponsorships don’t influence contributions on Google Maps.

"Local Guides Meet-ups" are an informal get together with other Local Guides in your area. It’s a opportunity to meet other Local Guides who are also passionate about exploring the world, and sharing their discoveries on Google Maps. Therefore, inviting Local Guides to a free party is not a meet-up.

Please see: Organize a meet-up in Local Guides Help. Thank you!

Level 7

Hey Atsukot, 

Thanks for getting me more info. 

I am asking these questions in the spirt of understanding not in the spirt or arguing.  

In our post we explicitly posted that we are are not requesting any contributions to our business listing. 

This is a free group meet-up for the purpose of connecting. From what I see in the policy I referenced above and the one you provided I do not see how we are violating it as we are not asking for any contributions. 

Would you be willing to help me better understand what policy we are violating so we can be better members in the future? 

Best, 

Spencer 

Level 7

Hey Atsukot, 

Thanks for getting me more info. 

I am asking these questions in the spirt of understanding not in the spirt or arguing.  

In our post we explicitly posted that we are are not requesting any contributions to our business listing. 

This is a free group meet-up for the purpose of connecting. From what I see in the policy I referenced above and the one you provided I do not see how we are violating it as we are not asking for any contributions. 

Would you be willing to help me better understand what policy we are violating so we can be better members in the future? 

Best, 

Spencer 

Former Google Contributor

Hello @SpencerField, @PaulPavlinovich has already shared the link with you, but just in case here is a link: Local Guides Program Terms and Conditions

As PaulPavlinovich suggested, please submit your meet-up from https://maps.google.com/localguides/meetup, and our team will review your meet-up. Once your meet-up is approved, it will be posted on Meet-ups.

How to organize a meet-up for Local Guides? Please read How to Organize a Local Guides Meet-Up before you submit your meet-up. 

Connect Moderator

Hi @SpencerField from my point of view these words are the key "to our business listing" which tells me that this is your business and that you're operating as a business here on Connect. That in itself is against the Local Guides rules that have been shared with you.

Its ok to run a business and be a Local Guide as long as you keep the two separate to avoid a conflict of interest.

Checking what is ok for Local Guides over at GMB won't yield useful results because the Googlers and Product Experts there are familiar with GMB and what is acceptable under that program. GMB is all about business so any reasonable business idea is great for them. Local Guides on the other hand is a volunteer crowd sourcing program that provides data to Maps in order to help the communities of the people making the contributions. 

Local Guides is very different to Yelp which fell into the deep hole of reward for review which has lead to cases of Yelpers taking advantage of businesses (I seem to remember a great Southpark episode on the concept). 

From a my perspective as an organiser of many meetups, I have occasionally used sponsorship but only in the form of competition gifts where the result of the competition was resolved transparently by the attendees themselves - this avoids any conflict of interest with the business while still transferring some good will to them.

Remember that my comments here are my own, I am not a Googler - their direction may be different.