Tushar_Suradkar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

India Gate in New Delhi - The Triumphal Arch of India

India Gate in New Delhi is the Triumphal Arch of India. It is a memorial for 70,000 soldiers of the Indian Army who died in the First World War, in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and elsewhere of which the names of 13000  servicemen are carved on its walls.

India Gate in New Delhi is the Triumphal Arch of India.India Gate in New Delhi is the Triumphal Arch of India.

I visited this place just before the lockdown started in March this year after a gap of 31 years and found it to be the same spacious place it was previously. The entire area is well-paved with water bodies and lush green lawns for people to sit and relax. There is also a plinth structure called Amar Jawan Jyoti or the Flame of the Immortal Soldier made of black marble with a reversed L1A1 rifle, capped by the helmet of a soldier with 4 flames that burn eternally to remember the soldiers who laid their life for liberating Bangladesh from the atrocities inflicted on them in 1971.

Don't forget to hire one of the roaming cameramen to get a group photo clicked and printed within 5 minutes and also try the ice-gola or chana-chat that are sold by roaming vendors in the area. It is both tasty, fun and a memory to long cherish. There are also carpets on hire nearby that you can lay on the huge open spaces and lawns to enjoy the views of the India Gate from a distance or just indulge in people-watching.

Quick Facts

• Designer: Edwin Lutyens
• Unveiled: 1931
• Width: 9 meter
• Height: 42 meter
• Area: 306,000 m²
• Material: Marble, Sandstone.

Have you been to a monument that was built in the memory of martyr soldiers? I'd be interested in knowing your experiences.

Until then... Happy Guiding 😊

Accessibility Features

Being an India heritage site all basic accessibility features were available both outside and inside the monument for the differently-abled.  

✔️  Ramp Access from road-level.

✔️  A wheelchair-accessible Entrance. 

A wheelchair-accessible Parking. 
  ✔️  A wheelchair-accessible Restroom/Toilet.

What Else To Do In Delhi

Delhi, India
13 comments
Level 8

Re: India Gate in New Delhi - The Triumphal Arch of India

Great click of India Gate @Tushar_Suradkar . Looking great with the blue sky and colour combination is also nice. As i told you I visited this place on Aug 2006. Since then i did not visit New Delhi. The Scene from Rang De Bansanti movie is great at this place and all are saluting to the monument as a tribute to Martyrs Soldiers. Not visited other than this monument. Thank you for sharing it with us 😊.

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Connect Moderator

@Tushar_Suradkar the front photo looks like the gate in France. 

Can you walk or go up on the top of this tower?

Connect Moderator

Good observation @Sophia_Cambodia 

The arch was built by a British architect who had a French influence 😊

Not on the top but we can walk around.

Connect Moderator

Thank you @Rohan10 

I too visited these places first in 1989, then in 2003 and again now.

2006 is a long time so it looks like another trip to Delhi is due for you since it is always fun to visit places after several years and relive the memories.

Level 10
Level 10

@Tushar_Suradkar 

इंडिया गेट संबंधी माहितीबद्दल धन्यवाद.
इंडिया गेट हा एक मानबिंदू आहे आणि दिल्ली येथे गेल्यावर न चुकवण्यासारखे स्थळ आहे.

तेथे जाण्यासाठी सर्वात जवळचे मेट्रो स्टेशन कोणते आहे?
तसेच, ही तीच व्यक्ती आहे का ज्याने गेटची रचना केली आणि पण त्याचे नाव मात्र लुटियन्स बँगलोजशी संलग्न आहे?

Connect Moderator

Violet Line ही इंडिया गेटच्या सभोवताली फिरते.

दक्षिणेकडून खान मार्केट स्टेशन तर उत्तरेकडून आल्यास मंडी हाऊस हे स्टेशन walking distance वर आहे.

खान मार्केट स्टेशनच्या सभोवताली दिल्लीतील पर्यटन स्थळांची रेलचेल आहे.

ल्युटेन्स ह्याने संपूर्ण नवी दिल्ली शहराचे देखील प्लॅनिंग केले आहे, विशेषतः प्रशस्त सरकारी बंगले.

हे बंगले सरकारतर्फे वाटप झाल्यावर सहसा कुणी कार्यकाळ संपल्यावर सोडत नाहीत म्हणून चर्चेत असतात 😁

या कारणाने ल्युटेन्सचे  नाव बंगल्यांशी जास्त जोडले गेले आहे.

मेट्रोवरून आठवले - मी दिल्लीतील ५०  म्यूजियम्सच्या मेट्रो लाईन्स प्रमाणे याद्या lists बनवल्या आहेत:

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Museum-2-on-Delhi-Metro-Yellow-Line-MUSEO-C...

लॉकडाऊन मुळे ५० पैकी केवळ २ म्यूजियम्सला भेट देणे शक्य झाले आहे.

त्याचप्रमाणे दिल्ली मेट्रो लाईन्सवरील पर्यटन स्थळांच्या याद्या बनवण्याचा मानस आहे,

मात्र ही प्रक्रिया अत्यंत वेळखाऊ आहे. 

Level 9

@Tushar_Suradkar , we visited it in our 2009 during our family vacation. Still a beautiful structure. If you don't mind would like to share my clicks here:

India Gate, Delhi, IndiaIndia Gate, Delhi, India

Canopy in front of India GateCanopy in front of India Gate

I got refresh about our visit there. It was a quick visit as we were travelling further so could not taste any ice- golas or chaat there.
Yes @Sophia_Cambodia, it is inspired from Arc de Triomphe in Paris no doubt about it.
As you mentioned; there is a line engraved at the top area of facade. I tried to capture that.

Inscription on top of the gate in the memories of  Indian soldiersInscription on top of the gate in the memories of Indian soldiers

Thanks a lot #Tushar for this lovely post, I have always admired your way of writing the post. 👍

Cheers!

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

Thank you for sharing the wonderful photos @ajitthite all photos are good especially I like the closeup on the to of the arch with the slogan carved which no one else cares to look at so up far.

So seem to have hit the place on a quite less-crowded day, and fortunate enough to have a clear view of the India Gate.

Must be a great trip almost a decade ago - the photos still look fresh.