AniruddhaB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Increase quality but not quantity

As a Local guide of Google Map, It should be our oath that we will improve google map not by quantity but by quality. Anybody can increase points by adding review and photos of places even by 1000 points a day. We should be focused on our basic responsility to contribute in enriching googles Map. How many points credited to my account or how many Kudoes I have received is immaterial. Googles Map need a parameter and point ( credit award ) accordingly. Otherwise ( in Bengali Muri Murki becomes same ) we will not be doing justice on giving points or Kudoes.

Kolkata, West Bengal, India
11 comments
Level 10

Re: Increase quality but not quantity

Level 1

20160512_064548.jpg

I think the competition certainly leads to quantity rather than quality. Based on your thought, we would suggest that Google offers perks (or something...) rather than narrow rewards. Rather than Google choosing a city to host an event via competition they do it by quality of local guide submissions. This might be hard to judge but not impossible.

Former Google Contributor

@LukeW @AniruddhaB @LucioV Quality is ALWAYS taken into account whenever we run a contest or challenge. We actually read and review people's contributions before selecting the final winner. 

Level 10
Level 5

@Corrie@LucioV@LukeW I suggest introduction of Bonus point on a scale of 1 to 5 for good, very good and excellent Reviews and photographs. Let the measurement be in the hand of Google Map Team. This will be a reward to Local Guides in addition to normal point for posting Reviews or photographs. This will be a good justice to Google Map Local Guides who takes time to post a thoughtful Reviews rather than just clicking on 3 star or 4 star or 5 star.

Level 6

I fully agree with that, but... did you have a look at "Google's examples" of photospheres ? Some of them are quite poor quality, assembly is not very precise...

In a general manner, the cameras suggested (recommended?) don't lead to quality but to quantity because their aim it to make the job easy for beginners.

I understand the point, it's fun and nice to share; but, on the other hand, quality will improve very slowly

Level 8

Hi @Corrie,

I always find this repeated concern of "Increase quality but not quantity".

I think there must be some implicit assumptions  so that people will always link these two together.

What are those assumptions?  Are they still apply for a Cloud Sourcing project like Maps?

May be after one event to promote adding information to Maps, it can be followed by another event to promote removing bad contents from Maps.

Level 5

@LucioV, Hi. Thanks for your comment. You have commented for the sake of competition we are compelled to go for quantity. Then what is the value of good reviews or photographs? Why a  Local Guide will take  special care in posting a thoughtful insight review or thoughtful photography? You have to differentiate between avarage and excellent? That is why I have proposed introduction of bonus point for good, very good and excellent Review and photography in addition to normal point for Review and photography.How we will enrich Google Map?

Level 10

Quality of a photo is not an objective and measurable parameter. At the beginning of the SV|T program (AKA Business View) we were forced to use specific hardware, and produce images with a measurable quality. Now this is gone for SV|T, and why a contributor should measure his photo with universal standards? Should a good picture be produced with specific smartphones, resolution, good white balance, nice contrast, perfect framing, good timing? The quality check is gone. So now it's all about numbers, at all levels. I'm skeptic about trying to keep standards high. Anyway, i will do my best, in any given situation.