AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

How to write helpful reviews for parents

Deciding on a place to go or an activity to do can be a challenge for any group, but it can be particularly stressful for families with young kids. They want to go to great places that can easily accommodate their kids and make them feel welcome. However, the information they need isn’t always easy to find.

Parents traveling to unfamiliar places with children know that planning is key. Many families look to reviews Local Guides like you share on Google Maps to get the guidance they need. By including information about kid-friendly features in your reviews, parents can make better-informed decisions about the places they go.

Caption: A photo of a child playing at Kidzoona, an indoor amusement park in Bogor, Indonesia. (Local Guide Hasan Sadiq)Caption: A photo of a child playing at Kidzoona, an indoor amusement park in Bogor, Indonesia. (Local Guide Hasan Sadiq)

If you’re not a parent yourself, you may not know what to look for. So, here are few questions to ask yourself when writing helpful reviews for parents.

“Does this hotel accommodate families with children?”

Hotels that easily accommodate kids have cribs, high chairs, and rooms with plenty of space. Some of the best hotels for families are also in safe, central areas close to local attractions, restaurants, and shops.

For families who plan to spend a lot of time at the hotel, it’s important to have exciting things for kids to do on the premises. A shallow pool, water slide, game room, or on-site activities for kids can make all the difference. At the pool, take note of whether or not there’s swimming equipment for children and a lifeguard on duty.

In addition, look for accessibility features such as elevators and ramps. This information is always important to add to your reviews for people who use wheelchairs, but it’s helpful for parents with strollers, too.

Caption: A photo of two red high chairs. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of two red high chairs. (Getty Images)

“Does this bathroom have a changing table?”

Access to changing tables in public restrooms is extremely important for parents who have babies in diapers. Next time you’re in a restroom at a restaurant, store, park, or any public place, look for a changing table. If you see one, include that information in your review.

“Is this restaurant kid-friendly?”
Restaurants that are kid-friendly provide high chairs, kid-proof cups, and a kid’s menu with options for picky eaters. Many parents hope to see healthy dishes on the kid’s menu, too, so note in your review if there are any options that include fresh fruit and vegetables. Some restaurants also offer crayons, activity pages, and games to keep kids occupied at the table. All of this helps to make for a more enjoyable experience for the entire family.

Next time you review a restaurant, add information about family-friendly features. Be sure to include the keyword “kid-friendly” now that you can search reviews on Google Maps.

Caption: A photo of a room at the Children's Museum of Manhattan filled with tables, chairs, and games for kids. (Pegeman 1) Caption: A photo of a room at the Children's Museum of Manhattan filled with tables, chairs, and games for kids. (Pegeman 1)Caption: A photo of a room at the Children's Museum of Manhattan filled with tables, chairs, and games for kids. (Pegeman 1) Caption: A photo of a room at the Children's Museum of Manhattan filled with tables, chairs, and games for kids. (Pegeman 1)

“What makes this attraction fun for kids?”

Whether you’re at a museum, amusement park, or any other local attraction, take note of what makes it appealing for kids. In your review, include points of interest for families such as interactive exhibits, upcoming events, or activities designed for kids. You should also add information about age limits and discounts for families.

These are just a few of the many things to look out for when writing reviews for parents, but we hope this gets you thinking about ways you can help guide them in your reviews. In the comments, tell us: what are some of the best kid-friendly places in your area?

28 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to write helpful reviews for parents

Difficult topic you maintain. I have three children with my wife, what is no more usual in Central Europe...

Hotels you nearly never find.

Restaurants is very hard (except you are in Italy 🇮🇹, what is not Central Europe) to find.

And children depending on age have half of their time in virtual sections...

Thank you for maintaining this challange in a more and more difficult world for newbies on this planet.

Kid friendly means not kidS friendly...

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 10

It's a completely different thought. I have one children but I never thought like you. Thank you @AriMar for the new idea. 

Level 10

Yes @AriMar . I do this  in my review mention it, basically do this  in shopping complex and restaurant ,  add  information kids friendly or not,

also try to add pictures if there available kids zone .

Orion Mall  kids Zone . Bengaluru

Baby sitter Picture

Mahabub Hasan
Anonymous
Not applicable

This post just read my mind, 

I was making plans on where to take my friend's kids for the weekend and had to go through hundreds of reviews per place to find which reviewer specifically mentioned how children friendly any place was, and it didn't matter how nice the other places were, I had to choose the place with the positive kids review. I think when making reviews for places on the maps, we should try to recommend places for their service towards specific demographics. 

Level 10

In my opinion funny animated videos and clowns will also amuse the babies and as a parent i would want to know about this. 

KFUPM, Technology Transfer Executive
Level 8

Thanks for starting this topic, @AriMar.

And as well for your hints that are in deed relevant. From my point of view, a children friendly business has two traits that are so hard to combine: A place where the kids can be left alone for a while and a place where they can be with their parents too. Most of the time, quite obviously, we're ok with having just one of those.

I've realized however that luckily it's become recently a field of competition: every business owner (inclueding local politicians) is trying to be at least as children friendly as thir competitor. This is driving the level of services for parents up.

Level 9

i love this topic @AriMar , i prefer places that welcome me with my kids 🙂

Level 10

Really good topic @AriMar thank you for share this to us I have a son and I know what difficulty we have to face. before this I do add some words about kids but now 100% I will add more info about kids friendly places in my reviews 

| Volunteers don’t get paid, not because they’re worthless, but because they’re priceless

Level 9

@AriMar Thanks for this good and helpful post! I will mention kid-friendliness in my future posts! 

I ❤️ being a local guide! My contributions
My Connect Profile