Christina-NYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

How to take photos at music venues

Whether you’re at a small club or a massive stadium, it’s always exciting to see a musician or band you love play live. But some venues are better than others. Many people look to the photos Local Guides like you share on Google Maps to learn more about the music venues they hope to go to.

Your photos can help to show them important details they need to know before the show. So, next time you’re at a concert, take some photos to share in your review in addition to the great shots you get of the band.

Here are a few things to keep in mind about taking great photos at music venues.

1. Know the photography rules.

Before heading out, read up on the rules about photography at the venue. Professional cameras with large lenses may be not be allowed. Some venues may also prohibit mobile photography. It’s always smart to check before you start shooting.

Most venues don’t allow flash to be used during a performance because the bright light can be distracting to musicians and others around you. Be sure to turn it off before taking photos and hold your camera steady to minimize motion blur.

Caption: A photo of an audience member taking a photo at a concert using a smartphone. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of an audience member taking a photo at a concert using a smartphone. (Getty Images)

2. Arrive early.

It can also be helpful to arrive a little early to a concert in order to get a spot close to the stage. Arriving early also gives you more time to photograph the interior and any artwork on display before the place gets crowded.

Caption: A photo of an empty music venue called The Grey Eagle in Asheville, North Carolina. (Local Guide Justin Peele)Caption: A photo of an empty music venue called The Grey Eagle in Asheville, North Carolina. (Local Guide Justin Peele)

3. Capture the exterior and the marquee.

It’s helpful to capture an establishing shot of the exterior of the building, so people know what the venue looks like! Either as you enter or on your way out, don’t forget to snap a photo of the musician’s name on the marquee or other signage at the venue.

Caption: A photo of the marquee of the Fox Theater in Oakland, California. (Local Guide Rusty Meador)Caption: A photo of the marquee of the Fox Theater in Oakland, California. (Local Guide Rusty Meador)

4. Snap the accessibility features.

Take note of the music venue’s accessibility features for people with mobility issues. Is there a ramp leading up to the entrance? How about accessible viewing areas and bathrooms? If the venue has a few different floors, are there elevators to get to them? Share photos of these features to help others who need to know about them.

Caption: A photo of an accessible ramp inside the lobby of a building. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of an accessible ramp inside the lobby of a building. (Getty Images)

5. Get a wide view.

Step back towards the rear of the venue and hold your camera steady to get a wide view shot of the space. This will help others who view your photos see the size of the venue. Plus, the colored lights on the stage can add a magical glow to your image. Try getting another wide view that shows the type of seating available, too.

Caption: A photo of the stage and seats at The Symphony Hall in Osaka, Japan. (Local Guide 幸作上村)Caption: A photo of the stage and seats at The Symphony Hall in Osaka, Japan. (Local Guide 幸作上村)

Caption: A photo of the amphitheatre at Waldbühne Berlin in Berlin, Germany. (Local Guide Elaheh Sarrafi)Caption: A photo of the amphitheatre at Waldbühne Berlin in Berlin, Germany. (Local Guide Elaheh Sarrafi)

Caption: A closeup of rows of seats in the theater. (Getty Images)Caption: A closeup of rows of seats in the theater. (Getty Images)

6. Be respectful to the other concertgoers and have fun!

While you’re photographing at a music venue, it’s important to be respectful to those around you. Try not to block other people’s view with your camera when you’re trying to get that perfect shot. This will help everyone to have a great experience at the show!

Do you love to go to concerts? What can other Local Guides do to help you find a great spot to hear music? Share your photos of music venues with us on Google Maps and in the comments below.

23 comments
Level 9

Re: How to take photos at music venues

Arrive early is very important to take many  photos 

thanks for sharing @Christina-NYC

Connect Moderator

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Share-Your-Photos-and/Recap-Prep-Krak%C3%B3w-Scavenger-Hunt/m-...

The last two pictures shows music festival in Poland.

@OSAMA, you are right. Coming early is good to this events, otherwise you will get lost...😉

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing this useful tips @Christina-NYC

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

Unless I´m working, I prefer to enjoy the show and only shoot a couple of pics. 

I try to carry my panoramic camera always, shooting both the performers and the audience delivers a real feel of the show:

Desde las regiones subtropicales de México
Level 10

Nice post @Christina-NYC. I have some pictures also. 

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

IMG_1028.JPG

Level 5

Thanks for this great info. Has given me ideas for events I will be attending soon. 

Level 9

Nice photos, thank you @Christina-NYC for sharing 

Level 7

Bls: How to take photos at music venues

SHIMA BANDSHIMA BAND3.jpgTarian Tradisional TangerangTarian Tradisional Tangerang

Former Google Contributor

Bls: How to take photos at music venues

Hi @360bymiftah

As I really enjoy going to music festival and discovering new things regarding them, can you please add more information to the pictures that you posted, like when and where this festival happened, or which kind of bands and singer performed? 

Sharing more information about the images you upload help others to understand why you are sharing and why they should read your posts. In here you can learn a lot of great tips on how you can make your photo posts even more engaging.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!