AshleySundquist's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

How to Create a "List for Good" on Google Maps

Hey Local Guides!

Thank you for your incredible enthusiasm around my mission to help the homeless in Santa Monica. Last year, I created 10+ customized lists on Google Maps with the simple hope of helping a gentleman in my community. He had difficulty remembering where to go for help, so these lists of places that provided supportive services helped him stay organized. Since then, I've shared those lists with many individuals experiencing homelessness around my city. 

And because I've received so many inspiring messages from Local Guides around the world who want to create similar lists for a variety of needs in their communities, I made a guide on how to get started. 

Learn How to Make a "List for Good" on Google Maps:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Ysm3Oe-84_w3M_q8x3lIekFoa3ELDdF01i7rsd8dplE/edit?usp=sharing

IMAGE: BOB AL-GREENE / MASHABLEIMAGE: BOB AL-GREENE / MASHABLE

If there are vulnerable people in your community who need a meal or place to sleep, you can use your Local Guide expertise to create a Google Maps list like this in YOUR local community. Remember that the core mission of Local Guides is to help create:

1. A more helpful map

2. A more local map

3. A map for everyone

But before you get going, take the time to meet the men and women in your community who are hurting. Listen to their story. Once you've earned their trust, you can better understand and identify ways that you can help them access supportive services. What kind of maps are you interested in creating? If you have any questions or feedback for me, please tag me in the comments!

Let's Guide TOGETHER!
Ashley

Santa Monica, CA, USA
9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to Create a "List for Good" on Google Maps

Hi @AshleySundquist

Thanks for sharing this.

You have posted this in the Local Stories section. I think it would be really helpful if you would move this post to the How-to section where it fits better. Just edit your post again, select the new Topic at the top, and save it again. Further instructions on editing your posts can be found here.

How to choose a section/topic for your Connect post might also be interesting for you.

All the best
Morten

Connect Moderator

Hi @AshleySundquist

How do you share the lists with the people in need? Since our lists are not indexed in Google Search you need to share pretty long urls. In my experience the standard urls are too long to re-type manually. 

Are you shortening them or linking to them from a website or blog?

Cheers 

Morten 

Level 8

Thank you for the helpful feedback, @MortenCopenhagen ! Just re-categorized the post to the How To section.

Level 8

Great question @MortenCopenhagen. If I'm with someone who asks for help, I can copy the List's URL in real-time and share it via text message or email address. To make things really simple, I bought a few domain names for the most popular maps (eg. www.LAShelters.com) so I can easily share it via word of mouth. If the URL were to be printed on materials, the link would definitely need to be shortened or redirected to an easier-to-remember domain name. 

Level 8

Hi @AshleySundquist!

First I want to applaud the awesome work you have been doing in your community 👏 it is great that you can help homeless by using Maps, such a genius idea! 

In my case I just got reconnected to lists quite recently and I have been grouping similar places: from cultural to touristic, with hospitals and clinics, drug stores and recreational spaces. That because I am doing some research to write articles for http://quemashago.com/ and noticed that I could leave traces of that research for others to take advantage from.

It does not cease to amaze me how versatile can Maps be and how we, Local Guides from all over the world, find innovative ways to use it within the diversity of each context.

Keep up the good work!

And get a warm hug from the Dominican Republic.

M.

Hi there! I'm Maricha MS, an experience collector from the Dominican Republic who loves sharing cultural and travel related topics. Wanna see what caught my attention while discovering different places of the world? Check out my contributions here on Connect.
Level 8

Thank you, @Marichams! Thank you for your comments and it's interesting to hear your use of the Lists feature too. I love your country and had the chance to visit in 2019 🙂 

Connect Moderator

Keep up the good work @AshleySundquist 

@MortenCopenhagen the world is changing, I've had lists appear in Local Search recently.

Paul

Level 2

Absolutely brilliant work Ashley, with homelessness on the increase everywhere, these type of lists are needed more than ever.

Myself and a local street drug agency created leaflets with safe places, free meals, health support etc in the 90s. It's terrific to see, with local guides, Maps with its finger on the pulse. Again many thanks Ashley

Level 8

Hey there, @PaulPavlinovich!! Thanks for the kind words and enthusiasm.