JeroenM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Bls: Don't use the Permanently Closed Option when...

Thank you for your kind response @ichalpranata31. I am glad that you learned something about how you are supposed to deal with these types of closures and why I think it is a bad idea. 

Level 8

Re: Don't use the Permanently Closed Option when...

Thank you @LuaPL for sharing your examples.

In fact, you reminded me of a case where it does not hurt the business or the end-user experience when marking a place temporarily closed as "permanently closed". I am referring to your Event example.

It is unlikely that people would search for the Google Maps listing in the "off-season".

I remember that there was a rule about Public Events only being mappable if there is a clear sign at the location all-year-round stating that it is the location of this event. Another requirement is that the event must exist for more than 2 years. These events are simply added like any normal POI and set to "permanently closed" after the event and reopened again when the festival is actively on its event grounds again.

More recently, there was an option including official help docs about Events, but it has since been taken down, so I assume Google changed its mind. Perhaps @GregMcG can help us here?

Level 8

Hey @JeroenM thanks for the insight!;)

Last September I had edited a place to be open which earlier had been marked as closed. Subsequently in December I again edited the 'hours open' for the same place. But interestingly, what had not stopped for me since last  September until 2 days ago, was the notification from Google Maps that my edit is live! It's almost like the notification had gone on a loop sending me one every hour!:)  Just when I had thought of marking a mail highlighting this issue to one of the moderators, thankfully it has now stopped and hoping that it stays that way!;). Below is a screenshot of the notification.

Screenshot_20200130-221405__01.jpg

 Cheers!

Level 8

Thank you for your positive feedback @Prodeep .

It is my understanding that the bug related to the Google Maps phone notifications is not related to a specific type of edit, so nothing to do with Closing places or reopening. Several people have reported this issue, including @JanVanHaver and Chiara from Germany (of whom I don't know the tag, sorry).

Level 8

Re: How (not) to mark "temporarily closed"...

I changed the title from Don't Use the Permanently Closed When to How (not) to mark "temporarily closed" to better reflect the content and help the post to be found when searching.

Former Google Contributor
Solution

Hello @JeroenM,

As a general rule, I suggest you always refer to the official processes. Please do not advise other Local Guides to use workarounds or any other unconventional ways. Thanks.

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Thanks for your post and suggestion @JeroenM and yes I've come across this myself.