sammiswinton's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

How I accidentally became one of Central London's Top Local Guide's and what this means to me.

In 2016 I decided to start my own music blog as I needed to do something that fulfilled me. I had been in an episode of severe depression for over a year and this was the only flicker of light that burned bright throughout my constant headache of 'how do I get out of this?'

I had worked admin jobs for several years but I felt like I had no purpose and I just generally wasn't happy. So like I said, I started my music blog.

www.grimelight.blogwww.grimelight.blog

Initially I felt a lot better after several weeks of writing on the blog but I was very much confined to my flat and was having a hard time getting out and doing anything else. I went to a few low key music events in Central London and I had posted about it but I wasn't really reaching anyone with the information I had collected and wanted to share. I made a promise to myself that I would be successful in some form of writing so I started thinking outside the box...

in 2017 UK Rap star's Krept & Konan opened their very first restaurant 'Crepes and Cones' and I made a point of wanting to review it. in 2018 (At this time I had no knowledge of the Google Local Guide programme) I went there, ate and gave an honest review which racked up over 150,000 views. I was in total disbelief of the numbers and wasn't sure how I felt about getting such exposure although that is what I had originally wanted.

Crepes & ConesCrepes & Cones

(Since 2017 Krept & Konan have relaunched 'Crepes and Cones' so I am due to visit again and re-review it.)

In 2019 I was asked to join the Local Guide Programme and once I had got my head around it, and actually thought about how this would help boost my confidence and get me talking to people again, I really liked the idea of it so I signed up straight away and started getting out there.

I have submitted reviews throughout the whole of 2019 and early 2020 whilst I had visited places in my Local Area (Islington, London) and in New York and LA.

The more I told people about what I do the more receptive they were to me and enhanced my experiences in the places I visited, not only that, I was able to treat my mum and sister to some experiences we weren't usually accustomed to.

Myself and family at Ground Zero/WTC NEW YORKMyself and family at Ground Zero/WTC NEW YORK

To me being a Google Local Guide means giving honest reviews and pushing myself out of my comfort zone. This programme has boosted my confidence significantly and because of this I am well known in my area and have gained a decent following across social media. The programme has allowed me to connect with businesses and build up rapport and actually be the woman I want to be. It is important that I give accurate descriptions in my review as I am considered a trusted source by my peers.

I love being a Local Guide and would love to connect with others!

You can check out all my reviews HERE.

GRAMMY WEEK - Sunset Boulevard, in my J-LO sunnies!GRAMMY WEEK - Sunset Boulevard, in my J-LO sunnies!

Connect with me on Instagram @sammigirl__

Sammi Swinton
Islington, London, UK
2 comments
Level 8

Re: How I accidentally became one of Central London's Top Local Guide's and what this means to me.

Kedves Sam!

Óriási munkát tettél élénk. Példaként szolgál társainknak. 

A depresszioból és a 4 fal közül kitárni szívedet a világnak.

Gratulálok. 

Nagy vagy. 

ÜGYES. 

Köszönöm 

Hungary 

Aranka 

Level 7

Re: How I accidentally became one of Central London's Top Local Guide's and what this means to me.

Thank You ❤️ 

Hope to see you at Connect Live 2020!

Sammi Swinton