LucioV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[History of IT] Do you know who created the FIRST personal computer? I guess no.

In the previous episodes we discovered where and when the first transistor was created and how in few years Intel packed thousand of them in a tiny package.

Now I will tell you about a little story, the history of the first Personal Computer

Olivetti Programma 101Olivetti Programma 101

Guess what? No, it wasn't Steve Jobs, was an Italian, Pier Giorgio Perotto that created Programma 101 in the first 60s.

Olivetti, in that time was leader in writing machines since many decades, and started to build mainframe in the previous years.

After the launch, Underwood (Olivetti controlled company) in USA started production, and HP tried to create a clone (HP 9100A) but this resulted in a lawsuit that ended in a 900.000$ fine that HP had to give to Olivetti.

Some Olivetti Programma 101 were used in Vietnam by US corps and were employed in Apollo 11 ground systems.

The original hardware had 240 bytes RAM.

More in wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programma_101

4 comments
Level 8

Re: [History of IT] Do you know who created the FIRST personal computer? I guess no.

Thanks for the information @LucioV

@LucioV wrote:

In the previous episodes we discovered where and when the first transistor was created and how in few years Intel packed thousand of them in a tiny package.

Now I will tell you about a little story, the history of the first Personal Computer

Olivetti Programma 101Olivetti Programma 101

Guess what? No, it wasn't Steve Jobs, was an Italian, Pier Giorgio Perotto that created Programma 101 in the first 60s.

Olivetti, in that time was leader in writing machines since many decades, and started to build mainframe in the previous years.

After the launch, Underwood (Olivetti controlled company) in USA started production, and HP tried to create a clone (HP 9100A) but this resulted in a lawsuit that ended in a 900.000$ fine that HP had to give to Olivetti.

Some Olivetti Programma 101 were used in Vietnam by US corps and were employed in Apollo 11 ground systems.

The original hardware had 240 bytes RAM.

More in wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programma_101

Level 9

Re: [History of IT] Do you know who created the FIRST personal computer? I guess no.

Owh thank you @LucioV for info.

hope to see you soon very active. Nowadays you are so much busy.

Keep smile.

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 10

@deepakjhic wrote:

Owh thank you @LucioV for info.

hope to see you soon very active. Nowadays you are so much busy.

Keep smile.

I was in Milan for work an entire week.... and now, I have a lot of work this weekend, and I also have an almost-broken (?) feet!!

Level 8

Nice informatics section sir @LucioV