FelipePK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Hiking to the highest peak in the Balkans

Caption: A photo of Google Moderator @FelipePk with his hands raised and facing a clear-water lake in Rila National Park, Bulgaria, with Musala Peak in the background. (Local Guide @FelipePk)Caption: A photo of Google Moderator @FelipePK with his hands raised and facing a clear-water lake in Rila National Park, Bulgaria, with Musala Peak in the background. (Local Guide @FelipePK)

I started to enjoy hiking not long ago. In Brazil, I'd take a hiking trail to some waterfall or a deserted beach, but I’d never consider those walks “hikes.” It was when I moved to the United States for an exchange program in 2012 that I realized my passion for hiking. I started visiting many national parks there and hiked long trails with my friends.

A few years later, I moved to Bulgaria and discovered that hiking is quite popular here, too. That’s no surprise—the country has many beautiful natural places to explore, like mountains and caves. So far, I’ve hiked up to the Seven Rila Lakes in Rila National Park and the Cherni Vrah Peak in Vitosha Mountain

This year, however, I wanted to challenge myself to climb the highest peak in the Balkan PeninsulaMusala Peak, located in Rila National Park. Towering at 2,927 meters, Musala Peak is 10 meters higher than the second highest in the Balkans, Mount Olympus in Greece

Here’s how my hike went and what I learned along the way. 

Caption: A photo of a lake in Rila National Park surrounded by yellow mountain flowers, green meadows, and mountain slopes, with Musala Peak in the distance. (Local Guide @FelipePk)Caption: A photo of a lake in Rila National Park surrounded by yellow mountain flowers, green meadows, and mountain slopes, with Musala Peak in the distance. (Local Guide @FelipePK)

I gathered a group of friends and we set off on a weekend. Everyone was well prepared for the hike, carrying a backpack with some sandwiches, lots of water, and sunscreen. It was going to be a hot day and we knew that the sun was even stronger high in the mountains.

We travelled to Borovets, a small town just 45 kilometers away from the capital of Sofia. Borovets is famous for its ski resorts and you can find quite a few hotels and restaurants there. Parking on the streets is paid everywhere in the town and it costs 1,50 Bulgarian lev—or 3 Brazilian reals—per hour. There are also a few parking lots where you’ll be charged a fee of 10-15 Bulgarian lev (20-30 Brazilian reals) for a whole day.

Caption: A GIF of cable cars passing over a forest. (Local Guide @FelipePk)Caption: A GIF of cable cars passing over a forest. (Local Guide @FelipePK)

From Borovets we took a cable car to go up to Rila Mountain. The ticket cost 10 Bulgarian lev both ways and the ride lasted around 25 minutes, covering a distance of about five kilometers. If you wish to climb Musala Peak in one day and return home in the evening, it’s best to get on a cable car from Borovets early in the morning as the last car leaves the upper station at 6 p.m. There are restrooms in both cable car stations.

The first part of the hiking trail was very smooth and offered breathtaking views of the surrounding mountain slopes. Along the path and close to the upper cable car station we saw local people selling different products such as honey, jam, and fresh forest fruits. After a 45-minute walk, we arrived at Musala Hut and the first mountain lake along the route. Right next to the hut was a small restaurant where people could get coffee and snacks.

Caption: A photo of a group of hikers going up the green rocky path that starts from Musala Hut. (Local Guide @FelipePk)Caption: A photo of a group of hikers going up the green rocky path that starts from Musala Hut. (Local Guide @FelipePK)

From the lake there are two paths that go up to Musala Peak—one that goes around the left side of the lake and one that goes around the right side. We didn't know much about the paths so we just picked the right one which turned out to be shorter but no less difficult. Our first challenge was a steep rocky slope. The climb was quite exhausting, but all around we could see a beautiful landscape with lakes and mountains.

The trail was well signposted with red arrows drawn on the stones to show the way. After about two hours we reached a blue cabin called Ledenoto Ezero which was at the foot of the final stretch of rocky slope. There was a small café with tables and seats on the first floor of the cabin and a few beds to sleep in on the second. It’s necessary to make a reservation a few days in advance if you wish to stay on the weekends because of the high demand and limited bed availability. Behind the cabin was another wonderful lake where we stopped for a rest, enjoying the view and eating our snacks.

Caption: A photo of three lakes in a mountain valley, which can be seen from the last slope on the way to Musala Peak. (Local Guide @FelipePk)Caption: A photo of three lakes in a mountain valley, which can be seen from the last slope on the way to Musala Peak. (Local Guide @FelipePK)

The last climb was the hardest part for me. It was very steep and I was already a little tired and feeling my legs heavy from the hike. There were also a lot of people going up and down, so we had to stop or make way from time to time. There were again two different paths to the top we could choose from—one with a steel cable stretched over the big rocks and a smoother one that went alongside the cable path. We ended up choosing the smoother one but we saw a few people using the metal cable to pull themselves over the rocks.

Caption: A photo showing the two paths that hikers can take on the last slope towards Musala Peak. On the left there are tall metal bars and metal cables fixed over large stones and on the right—a flatter path with sand and stones, with many people going up and down. (Local Guide @FelipePk)Caption: A photo showing the two paths that hikers can take on the last slope towards Musala Peak. On the left there are tall metal bars and metal cables fixed over large stones and on the right—a flatter path with sand and stones, with many people going up and down. (Local Guide @FelipePK)

When we reached the top, I felt such a mix of emotions! I was relieved, happy, and satisfied. There was a stone monument with information about the name and the height of the peak and a picture of a saint that was placed there in 2017 to protect the country and the nations living in the Balkans. Many people were lining up to take photos with the monument and to document their achievement. There was also a cabin with restrooms and a meteorological station there.

Caption: A photo of Google Moderator @FelipePk smiling and posing next to the stone monument on top of Musala Peak which has a metal plate with the name and the height of the peak and an image of a saint. (Local Guide @FelipePk)Caption: A photo of Google Moderator @FelipePK smiling and posing next to the stone monument on top of Musala Peak which has a metal plate with the name and the height of the peak and an image of a saint. (Local Guide @FelipePK)

Even though the top was mostly rocks, there was also a green meadow and really amazing views of the surrounding mountains, valleys, and lakes. What caught my attention were several rock cairns—big piles of arranged stones—called mariolas in Portuguese. In the old days, they were used to mark the right way on trails that weren’t very well defined. Nowadays, a more spiritual meaning has been attached to them—it’s believed that placing a stone on the cairn cleanses your soul and guides you towards achieving your goals. Following the tradition, I also put a stone on one of the piles.

Caption: A photo of rock cairns at the edge of Musala Peak with mountains visible in the background. (Local Guide @FelipePk)Caption: A photo of rock cairns at the edge of Musala Peak with mountains visible in the background. (Local Guide @FelipePK)

The way down was easier. We went back in silence for a good part of the trail, each of us contemplating the landscape. We were already very tired when we got to the cable car station but we made it just in time before it closed. All in all, our hike lasted six hours and we covered around 20 kilometers, but we all had the feeling of accomplishment.

Do you enjoy hiking? What’s the most beautiful or highest place you have hiked? Share your experiences and photos in the comments below.

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

87 comments
Level 10

Re: Hiking to the highest peak in the Balkans

Dear @FelipePK , Thanks a lot for your Awesome Capture Beautiful story sharing with us. 

IMG_20190924_195906_151.jpg

Dharmasagar Lake in Cumilla, Bangladesh

Best Regards

Mohammed Omar Faruque
Level 8

Hey FelipePK, awesome pics, thanks for share.

I always likes a mountains views or top views (rooftops in my city), 😁ever been in my life I'm a healthy person, but usually we go by a motorized vehicle to reach similar places, cause I go with persons of all ages.

Screenshot_20190930-061630_Photos.jpg

Caption: view of Olinda City, Pernambuco BRAZIL by local guide Haruki

Thank you to explain or exchange the rates in brazilian currency, it's interesting to think about and knows.

Best regards.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @FelipePK,

I admire and share your passion for hiking! It is one of the things I enjoy the most. There isn't a better place where you can be together with your own thoughts, be with friends and at the same time feel connected with nature. For me nature is health and just like you I started hiking not long time ago.

Here is a photo that I captured this weekend on my hiking to The Waterfall Canyons in Rhodope mountain.

Caption: A photo taken on the top of a 70-meters waterfall and the forestry scene ahead reminding of Fall. (Local Guide @TsekoV)Caption: A photo taken on the top of a 70-meters waterfall and the forestry scene ahead reminding of Fall. (Local Guide @TsekoV)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

Wow, how wonderful!

It's been a long time since the last time I did a hiking like this ... it feels so good. One of the most worthwhile tiredness, and the best way to re-order.

This place you went to is truly stunning! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Heloísa Melo
Level 8

@FelipePK Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I like your detailed content and your beautiful photos. Yes, I like hiking. I'm a solo traveler and I think this is good for hiking as I can hike on my own slow pace. Have you ever hiked on your own?

Google Moderator

Hey @FelipePK ,

It seems like you had a nice experience climbing up to the top of Rila Mountain. I had the chance to reach the highest peak in the Balkans two years ago but it definitely wasn't my favourite experience. 🙂 Hiking is one of my least loved activities but without it I wouldn't be able to enjoy this magnificent view. 

Caption: A photo of the landscape in Rila Mountain (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the landscape in Rila Mountain (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Have you decided which peak you will conquer next? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Hi @FelipePK !

I imagine the wonderful feeling you get after reaching the destination of the trip!

In my own small way I also had little hiking experiences and I always found them exciting: as a child we often went on picnics in the alpine pastures of the Dolomites!

This is the last one I made (last year)  at Cros del Cuc in Bedollo (Trento - Italy):

Happy hiking,
David
Level 8

Hi @FelipePK 

Your pictures with lakes are amazing.

Here is the post about my favorite hiking places in eastern Slovakia:

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/7-most-beautiful-seesight-places-in-eastern...

Karol

Krivan - SlovakiaKrivan - SlovakiaSkalisko - SlovakiaSkalisko - SlovakiaHolica - SlovakiaHolica - Slovakia

Karol Tomasch
Level 8

@FelipePK nice photo and story