HenriqueOrsi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Helping small businesses stand out on Google Maps

I would say the most interesting thing I've done and continue to do is to be able to reach out and talk to business owners directly and provide them feedback; being on their excellent service or on something they can do better. The fact that Google Maps allows this close connection between consumers and business owners is incredible! 🙂

We know how hard could be to contact companies using the default "old school" methods like 800, generic "contact" email or their site. Yes, it's not all. Actually, many are being more and more mindful of online direct feedback from customers and for sure Google's platform is helping (or leading we might say) to change this landscape. Especially when we can have this proximity with the people who run the places we love to visit. 🙂

I get truly happy 😀when helping businesses having their "digital footprint" properly set, which helps them and (many) others like me, when craving for the best açaí bowl in town, for instance. Spoiler alert! You can find my list of the best açaí places in Campinas-SP right here😋

Entrance of the açaí shop called "República da Açaideira"Entrance of the açaí shop called "República da Açaideira"

When talking about helping, I believe the small businesses are the ones that can leverage the most from us, the fully engaged, review-addicted and enthusiastic community of Local Guides

On that note, I would like to tell you a quick history where I consider I could make a difference: I went with my family to know a new açaí place(yeah, I really like this fruit! 😅) recently opened at the small town where I grew up. After the delicious treat, I went for the review and I found out the shop wasn't on Google Maps yet. In fact, the owner managed to move his old store(another city) to the new location, which had a different name and, off course, different everything else(address, etc). So, when paying I approached him, mentioned I'm a volunteer for Google Maps, explained what I found and that I could help him to fix everything. His reaction couldn't be better: after saying he was struggling on this for weeks, he thanked me for the initiative and ended up knowing a little better of how the platform works, including that he can/should manage his shop via Google My Business. But this conversation will be for another time.

That kind of situation and many other similar ones always boosts me to do more and talk to more people about it. Not only with the reviews and photos, but actually discussing with the owners when I see they are missing something.
Conversation with business owner via social media where he thanked for the helpConversation with business owner via social media where he thanked for the help

(Translation(from Portuguese) of the conversation above I had with the business owner:

Me: "Your welcome! 🙂
It is important to be present on Google Maps, as it is a widely used platform. Hence the people that come from outside to São Simão will be able to “find you”.
In case of need, I'm there for you!"

Business owner: "Wow, it's very important! I tried to do this but I was not successful. We don't even know how to thank you, my friend. Very good to know that there are people like you who make a difference. Thank you from the heart!")

For me, these contacts are very personal and bring me real joy 😍...first for being a volunteer work, eg, it's something that I've gladly chosen to put my time and effort into and second because I know I'm helping many people to find the businesses worth visiting, the places worth seeing, the food worth eating, the experiences worth having and the things worth doing.
Campinas, State of São Paulo, Brazil
12 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Helping small businesses stand out on Google Maps

Great and very well written post. 

Congrats, @HenriqueOrsi

Very nice Exchange of messages. 

Your use of bold is a bit too much - maybe. 

Cheers 

Level 7

Hi @MortenCopenhagen. Thanks for the quick reading and tip. I agree with you and did a little clean up in the text. I believe it's better now. 🙂

Connect Moderator

Sure, much better now. 

Cheers, @HenriqueOrsi 

Connect Moderator

Nice post Henrique and good luck! 😊

If you want me to read your post or your comment, please tag me as @Cecilita so I can see it.

Buenos Aires, Argentina | Argentina Local Guides | My Google Maps
- New in Connect? Start Here!
- How to be more green? Click Here!
- Best Places to visit in Bs As: Click here!
- Social Media: Instagram | Twitter

Level 9

@HenriqueOrsi It's nice you try to help local business as they really need that. Some people are lost in modern "tech" World and appreciate a helping hand. Good luck 👍😁

Level 8

Helping small local businesses brings the ultimate satisfaction for sure 

Love your post @HenriqueOrsi - hope to meet you soon ^_^

Connect Moderator

Hey @HenriqueOrsi,

nice post and nice to read the value of the contributions on the small local businesses, well done.

Good luck 😊

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂

Level 7

Level 7

Yeah, indeed! I'm using my "tech savvy" skills to help them hehe.

Good luck to you too! 😊