Happy Chinese New Year 2018

Good Luck 

Good Health 

Good Cheer and

Happy New Year 1223-.jpg

happy-chinese-new-year-2018-card-with-gold-dog-vector-17565799.jpg

Few Information about Chinese New year 

When is Chinese New Year 2018?

The 2018 Chinese New Year begins TODAY (Friday, February 16).

The celebrations will last for over two weeks – and if you fancy making a trip before the festivities end, read this guide for a first-timer's trip to China.

Chinese New Year takes place on a different date each year because it is based on the lunar calendar.

New Year's Day normally falls between January 21 and February 20.

How is Chinese New Year celebrated?

The global celebrations are an explosion of light and sound, involving bell ringing, lighting firecrackers and watching traditional lion dances.

Chinese families gather together for a reunion dinner on New Year's Eve, and clean their houses to sweep away bad fortune on New Year's Day.

Traditionally, kids would be given red envelopes stuffed with 'lucky money' and positive wishes on New Year's Day.

Some teens now have red envelope apps, so their relatives can transfer cash digitally.

Which animal represents 2018?

2018 is the Year of the Dog.

The Chinese zodiac moves in a 12-year cycle, and those born in 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994, 2006, and 2018 are also known as Dogs.

According to the Asian astrology, your year of birth - and the animal this represents - determines a lot about your personality traits.

Although each of the twelve animals gets an outing every dozen years, there are different varieties - and 2018 will be the first Year of the Earth Dog since 1958.

Anyone born in an Earth Dog year will be communicative, serious, and responsible in the workplace.

Which Chinese zodiac animal am I?

The Chinese animal zodiac or shengxiao, which means 'born resembling', are arranged in a repeating cycle of 12 years.

The animal changes at the beginning of the Chinese New Year, and traditionally these animals were used to date the years.

However, Chinese New Year is a movable celebration, dictated by the lunar cycle, which can fall anytime between January 21 and February 20.

This year, for example, it will be celebrated on Friday, 16th February.

If you're feeling confused, calculate your zodiac sign here.ccc.JPG

What is the Chinese Zodiac story?

Legend has it that, back in the ancient days, the Jade Emperor ordered that animals would become part of the calendar and that the 12 who arrived first would be selected.

At the time, the cat and the rat were good friends. When they heard the news, the cat said to the rat: "We should arrive early to sign up, but I usually get up late."

The rat promised to wake his pal up so they could go together but, because he was so excited, forgot and went alone.

On the way, the rat bumped into the tiger, ox, horse and other animals - who were all much faster than him.

He hatched a plan and convinced the ox to carry him on his back - on the condition that the rat sang throughout the journey.

The ox arrived first, but the rat sneaked in front of him and became the first lucky animal.

By the time the cat arrived, the selection was over - which is why the cat hates the rat and will always try to chase and kill him.

Animted-New-Year-2014-Wishes-Cards8.gif

Image source: From several web site and the sun news The Sun news

Mahabub Hasan
8 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Happy Chinese New Year 2018

Seems I might be a Horse @MahabubMunna

Former Google Contributor

How is Chinese New Year celebrated?

Traditionally, kids would be given red envelopes stuffed with 'lucky money' and positive wishes on New Year's Day.

Some teens now have red envelope apps, so their relatives can transfer cash digitally.

I LOL-ed at this. The red envelopes, aka angpows, usually contain money and are distributed + received as good luck. The handling of real, physical angpows is the significant part of it all, so it will always amuse me that it has gone digital. At one of the family gatherings during Chinese New Year, we even joked that bitcoins could be the future of our angpows

@PaulPavlinovich We can also tell a person's age with the Chinese zodiac sign they identify with! Not that you'd mind anyway (I'm assuming... haha)

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Connect Moderator

Hehe yes you would be able to @JeslynL no it doesn't worry me at all, I know I'm old 🙂

Former Google Contributor

Hi @MahabubMunna

This is an amazing post and I don't know how I've missed it. Thanks, @JeslynL, for showing it to me.

Thank you for the post, it is very informative. I've heard that the celebrations of the Chinese New Year are very colorful and full of traditions and customs. I like that you have summarized everything for us.

I never thought that there is a story behind the creation of the Chinese calendar. It was the most interesting part for me and I feel sorry about the cat. My zodiac sign according to the calendar is rabbit, but I knew that since I was little, when I read an article about the Chinese calendar. So this is reinstating what I remember the article correctly.

Again, thanks for sharing it!

Cheers, 

Marin

Level 10

@MarinSt thanks . always try to post there something new . maybe you also like that every day not take same dish in lunch and dinner . all time try change this menu . me my life every sector try to follow this . thanks again for like my post 🙂 

also thanks @JeslynL you silently look my all activity 🙂 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 8

Wow, its really interesting. I recently met some Chinese travelers in Nepal in Pokhara. I was taking photos around Phewa Lake, Pokhara wearing Local Guides Tshirt and they came asking me are you a local guides ? I said yes and they went on asking me lots of questions. I told them everthing about Local Guides, we took lunch together. 

I am missing them now. Thank you @MahabubMunna for reminding me of Chinese New Year. I am going to wish them now. 

Thanks, Niraj

Level 10

yah but they miss LG program because china mainland Google block @NirajBhusal 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 7

I never thought that there is a story behind the creation of the Chinese calendar. It was the most interesting part for me and I feel sorry about the cat. My zodiac sign according to the calendar is rabbit, but I knew that since I was little, when I read an article about the Chinese calendar. So this is reinstating what I remember the article correctly. Nayem Mahmud

NaYeM