MikeFay's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

Gmaps let me make an entry for a new restaurant 24 hours ago, why doesn't it show up at all?

I'm pretty new, it's my first time making something new. This restaurant opened 5 days ago and they told me they have not had time to make much presence.

How does adding to gmaps work? Is someone vetting it first? How come I'm not getting any feedback or a link into the review process? From my point of view, my addition was simply lost by Gmaps. 

I took a lot more pictures and would like to add a ton more info than that little "new" form allowed. How can I if there's no record?

It's in Atlanta GA USA.

Thanks if you can help!

8 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Level 9
Solution

Re: Gmaps let me make an entry for a new restaurant 24 hours ago, why doesn't it show up at all?

@MikeF wrote:

frustrated with how it would not let me put a suite in

Just a FYI, the format for suite numbers in Google Maps is that they must be at the beginning of the address.

By the way, fully concur that it can be discouraging to get rejected without explanation, but sadly that's the nature of the beast. The more you do the more you learn and rejections will decrease, but I've been mapping since 2010 and I get edits which are 100% correct rejected. Most of the approval process is automated and the system isn't smart enough to provide an explanation. Even when humans are involved they work in disparate teams applying contradictory rules especially when a business is verified and claimed by its owner. Possibly this will improve when MapMaker gets folded into Maps

View solution in original post

Level 9
Level 9

Re: Gmaps let me make an entry for a new restaurant 24 hours ago, why doesn't it show up at all?

Does your edit appear in your Contributions tab, saying Approved or Pending or Not applied? What's the name and location of this place?

Level 3

Thanks for answering. I see under Edits it says:

Rio Steakhouse Bar & Grill
   3375 Holcomb Bridge Rd Alpharetta, GA 30022 USA
   NOT APPLIED · Place creation

What's Not Applied mean, Rejected? It's grayed out and I can't edit it.

Level 9
Level 9

Yes, it means rejected so that's why it is not showing up

Did this new place open at the same location as https://goo.gl/maps/hTmrDhKR3TK2 and is that other place now closed?

Level 3

That's the right building but wrong part. The Caribbean restaurant is there and thriving, at the elbow of that little strip mall, just as Gmaps indicates. This new one is on the south corner. If you drop down to street level in its parking lot, you will see a July 2016 photo with a "For Lease" sign there, next to the gold shop that shows up on the map and in the street view. That's where it is, in the south end, Suite A. These suites are number A to H, although not all of them show it well in Gmaps. For the record, I tried to put Suite A in the info that got rejected, but the form absolutely refused to let me enter anything besides 3375 Holcomb Bridge Road.

Gmaps does a weird thing there. You can see how Jimmy Carter Blvd ends and Holcomb Bridge Rd seems to actually start across the intersection from this building. But it is in fact Holcomb Bridge Rd there, as you can see if you look at addresses for other shops in that building. One of the photos I uploaded was of the flyer for the restaurant, clearly labelled 3375 Holcomb Bridge Road, Suite A. Here's their Facebook entry. Scroll all the way down and you see two photos like some of the ones I made. They too got the menu with the address. The other photo there (of the buffet) is legit too.

The staff say they just opened Saturday Feb. 11, a week ago now.

Level 9
Level 9

I think the problem may be the address you used as Google puts '3375 Holcomb Bridge Rd Alpharetta, GA 30022' a couple miles north https://goo.gl/maps/4GGMchESVbx of the restaurant location.

There does indeed seem to be some addressing issues here, you may be better off trying this edit in MapMaker https://goo.gl/R9jTVe . When you place the pin at the correct location in the building at 3375 and click ADD NEW it will try and tell you the address is JC Blvd, but you should be able to overwrite that with the correct info.

If the problem persists then the base map address info may need looking into and you could ask about that on the MM forum https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/map-maker (MM is closing in March so don't hang about)

Level 3

Huh. I can remember I started with the address on the menu, then got frustrated with how it would not let me put a suite in, so I went with what it insisted my address ought to be. That got me focused on the street, not the city. I guess it decided I was in Alpharetta, not Norcross.

Thanks for your help. I have learned a little. But it's not nice to be rejected with no explanation given. Just like if somebody wipes your wiki edit without giving any reason. Nobody wants to contribute to a wiki like that. Look at all the time we both spent. Maybe the clearance staff is overwhelmed or understaffed. But that's not particularly encouraging.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

Level 9
Level 9
Solution

@MikeF wrote:

frustrated with how it would not let me put a suite in

Just a FYI, the format for suite numbers in Google Maps is that they must be at the beginning of the address.

By the way, fully concur that it can be discouraging to get rejected without explanation, but sadly that's the nature of the beast. The more you do the more you learn and rejections will decrease, but I've been mapping since 2010 and I get edits which are 100% correct rejected. Most of the approval process is automated and the system isn't smart enough to provide an explanation. Even when humans are involved they work in disparate teams applying contradictory rules especially when a business is verified and claimed by its owner. Possibly this will improve when MapMaker gets folded into Maps

Level 3

Thanks for all your help and the tip on suites, Phillip.

Oddly, I feel a little better if it was rejected by some automated process.