ajitthite's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Glimpses of Fort Kochi, Kerala

Hello LG friends,

One of the most scenic spots in Cochin is Fort Kochi. It is one of the city's oldest colonies and is situated in the western section. I had the opportunity to visit there a few years ago.

Banner designed with the photos captured by me and Smita Thite.Banner designed with the photos captured by me and Smita Thite.

There are many historical monuments and also a huge area restricted for our Indian Naval base and training center, INS Dronacharya. 

It bears very much resemblance to Goa, as both are old Portuguese settlements.

The colonial-style houses, churches, streets, hotels, and beaches are very similar to South Goa, especially. 

Photo 01: Few of the colonial structures are now utilized as commercial outlets such as restaurants, homestays, resorts etc. Some of the photos by Smita Thite

Photo 02: The famous Kerala spices shops are allover, espeially in the market area. Full of different traditional spices, oils for your disposal.

Photo 03: The main entrance of the famous Cochin Club from pre-independence is located just opposite to the historical St Francis CSI Church in Fort Kochi.

Photo 04: Built in this 300-year-old Dutch bangalow, the Old Harbour Hotel in Fort Kochi is believed to be the city's first hotel and unquestionably portrays the historical significance of the locality. 

Among the famous locations worth seeing (that I am aware of 😊) are:

St Francis CSI Church (Location😞 my post

One of the oldest churches in India. A significant landmark of Portuguese rule in Kerala during the Vasco da Gama period It also has a grave of him, which was dig later to move his coffin to Portugal.

Photo 05 - St Francis CSI Church

Santacruz Cathedral Basalica (Location)

This is also one of the oldest, and it is a heritage site. The Gothic structure is very impressive and attracts many visitors from all over the world. 

Photo 06 - Santacruz Cathedral Baselica

Indian Naval Maritime Museum (Location): my post

Located in two bomb shelters within the premises of INS Dronacharya, this attracts many curious visitors and educates them about India's naval maritime history while also encouraging them to join.

Photo 07 - One of the two bomb shelters, where the museum is situated.

Fort Kochi Beach and Fort Emmanuel (Location), Chinese Fishing Nets near Vasco da Gama square 

This well-known beach is backed on one side by the ruins of Fort Emmanueal, an old Portuguese fort, and a public walkway that runs along the shoreline. It extends to the Vasco da Gama Square, where a large number of Chinese fishing nets are visible. The story nehind Chinese Fishing Nets in Kochi is that it is established way back in 1350 to 1450 AD by a chinese explorer. Since then, they are providing pictuerque site to the Kochi shores.

There are many small vendor shops available along the way for souvenirs, fastfood joints, etc.

Photo 08 - Visitors enoying the view from the walkaways.

Photo 09 - The small beach is next to walkaway but the width was very small.

Photo 10 - A view of the big vessels passing in and out from the port.

Photo 11 - A glimpses of the ruins of Fort Emmanuel from the walkaway and steam boilers at the Fort Kochi Beach.

Photo 12 - A look at the Chinese Fishing Nets from the beach.

Photo 13 - Few eateries are accessible from the walkway. 

Princess Street and Burger Street

Grand old style streets are famous for shopping sprees. A few small hotels, restaurants, and art cafes are also situated here. You can spend a lot of time here, overlooking  fantastic-looking colonial-style homes.

Photo 14: You can see the old structures with full of commercial outlets like fabric shops, designer materials, homesatys etc.

Photo 15 - old style walking alleys invites you to take stroll. It's a great experience itself.

Photo 16 - Old and new style restaurants attracts the visitors.

Photo 17 - The food courts at the juctions of Princess and Burger Street. AA drug-free zone and quiet lane give guests a sense of security.

Brunton Boatyard - CGS Earth (Location)

A boatyard built by Britishers is now converted into a magnifient 5 star hotel. The ambience and interior reflects the glimpses of vintage past.

Photo 18 - The entrance, artefects, high wooden ceiling provides rich ambience. Photos by Smita Thite

Photo 19 - Gorgeous old-style buildings are maintained up well, and ecological sustainability is also emphasized. Photos by Smita Thite

Few of the famous location I could not visit are mentioned below:

Indo-Portuguese Meseum (Location)

A grand facility showcasing many collections of Portuguese colonial artifacts shows how it has influenced this part of Kochi. 

Pandhal Cafe & Deli, David Hall Art Cafe, CGS Earth (Location)

This 17th-century Dutch bungalow serves as the setting for this art cafe and cultural event center. An amazing location where art lovers can witness contemporary artists showcasing their skills. 

You can also watch many live performances and selected movies here, apart from having coffee, cheese tarts, pizzas, burgers, etc.

Paradesi Synagogue (Location) and Mattachery Palace or Dutch Palace (Location)

Although these two are not precisely in Fort Kochi, tourists often visit them while they are there. This synagogue is also one of the oldest, and a Jewish community was built around it, so the location is known as “Jew Town."

Mattachery Palace, also known as Dutch Palace.

BONUS!! 😀😎

There are ro ro jetty's available from Fort Kochi, just outside of Brunton Hotel, to Fort Vypin, another picturesque locality just opposite side.

There are many such colonial landmarks to visit. 

Photo 20 - The Old Lady of Hope Church , a Latin church at Fort Vypin (Location) is also one of the historical church. Photo by Smita Thite

How to reach Fort Kochi:

The closest train station is Ernakulam Junction (south), 13 km (approximately 8 miles), and the closest airport is Cochin International Airport, 36 km (approximately 22 miles). To get here, you can take rikshaws or taxis.

To be the next Vasco da Gama , you can board the ferrys from Ernakulam, Willington Island which is available for entire day. 🤠😀

Please check the local timings.

I hope you will like my post.

As I have always mentioned, if anyone suggests modifications to this post about the content, please do so.

My sincere request to other LGs who visited Fort Kochi and had their view and images to contribute, then please feel free to do so in your comments.

Cheers!

| Ajit Thite | “Collect moments, not things” – Aarti Khurana |
My Latest posts :- | Great Place to pause for Some Moments to Live: Ka'Soul Cafe, Pune |
Kochi, Kerala, India
13 comments
Level 9

Re: Gimpses of Fort Kochi, Kerala

Just tagging my dear friend @TravellerG sir to suggest anyone from Kerala who can suggest or any additional information or photos here.

I hope you like this post, sir!

@Denise_Barlock, if you think of adding it to your quiz, #statechallenge, please let me know.

Cheers!

My Latest posts :- | Great Place to pause for Some Moments to Live: Ka'Soul Cafe, Pune |
Level 9

Betreff: Gimpses of Fort Kochi, Kerala

@ajitthite 

Sehr interessant und sehenswerte Bilder 

Connect Moderator

Fort of Kochi seems like such an enjoyable place.

I can spend an entire week here roaming through the streets, eateries, and places of interest like the museums.

The photos are amazing as usual @ajitthite 

Superb post. 👍

Level 7

Hey @ajitthite 

That's a very beautiful and historical post of Fort Kochi. Kerala aka God's own country is a paradise to many things like the boat-races, rich culture and heritage, yummy delicacies topped with coconut and all these amazing places mentioned by you. Onam is a best time to visit as there are many festivities there and the atmosphere is celebratory!!! Thanks a ton for this detailed informative post 🥳🥳🥳

Lots of love and best wishes
Mayuri Kubal
#LocalGuideOfMaharashtra
#IndiaLocalGuide

Check my latest post here  5 Years of Local Guiding and many more to come!!! 

Connect Moderator

This is really nice well-written and informative post about Fort Kochi. 

Thank you so much for sharing your post with us @ajitthite 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

Betreff: Gimpses of Fort Kochi, Kerala

Thanks for your feedback @Annaelisa !

Much appreciated. 👍🏻

Cheers!

Level 9

True, the travelers love to just roaming on these beautiful Streets and capturing such vintage places. Shopping will also happen obviously as a by product. 😊

Thanks for your appreciation @Tushar_Suradkar .

Cheers!

Level 9

@ajitthite Your post about Fort Kochi is absolutely enchanting! It's incredible how you've managed to capture the essence of this historical and picturesque location.The mention of the Naval Maritime Museum and the Princess and Burger Streets as hubs for shopping and dining adds to the allure of the place. Your tips on transportation and the bonus information about the ferry rides offer practical advice for anyone planning a visit. 

Mohamed Ahmed (Mo-TravelleerX)
Chinese Name (Wang Li 王李)
Follow me: Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - YouTube

My Greatest Articles:
My 2 Years of Experience as a Google Local Guide

My 3 Years Journey as a Google Local Guide in Egypt and China
Level 9

Thanks for your appreciation. @Mo-TravelleerX .

It's a great place, and there are so many beautiful spots to visit. Do add it to your bucket list whenever you come down to India.

Cheers!