Sayo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Finding Oneself - A Local Guide's Journey To Rediscovery

Dear Sayo,

It felt nice to read your post on self discovery. There is one aspect of your experience that matches mine.

Since 2005/2006 I started using Google earth and later Google Map. Initially it was for personal interest but later it got extended to my professional work. I used to travel a lot for my work besides having 2/3 family vacations every year. Since google search and google earth was a handy tool, I used them a lot in my decision making process. Now our similarity starts. Like you, I also used to be bombarded by Google every now and then asking me to answer simple question or post a review or upload photo. I would get upset because it made one thing clear - Google is following me everywhere, where you go, what you do, what movie you see etc. Though there was nothing to hide, I took it as a breach of privacy and kind of spooky. Even today I do not like "Your Timeline" feature.

But I was merrily ignoring all those requests and kept using the feeds available on  google. Then came a time when I realised that information that I seek from Google does not come from outer space or from thin air. There must be a team, who analyse every input being generated by users like us by our movement and collate those in a format that is usable to anyone. And to make it better and authentic, (since it is not possible for any human being or a satellite to know everything about a place be it an office or restaurant or a market) they need ground level information. And that is where Local Guides come in. I realised that it can not be a one way traffic. I should pay back google in whatever minuscule way possible. I started sending replies to questions, send corrections, reviews, photos etc. I used to enjoy when Google would send me a mail saying Your correction/edits have been approved and published. Thus began my Journey of Local guide as much as it was for you, Sayo.

I wish to increase my participation and involvement to make this more accurate and error free.

All the best to all the applicants.

Level 8

It's really amazing. Those words are really inspiring. I still remember the day when I first give a restaurant rating and write a review of it. after that instantly i got a mail 'do you want to be a local guide?' and don't think twice and start the journey. @Sayo your story make me think to write mine and i will write it very soon.
Connect Moderator

@Sayo, thank you so much for taking the time to share your personal journey to becoming a Local Guide.

Everyone of us has their own story on how and why. I totally agree that being a Local Guide brings one out of one’s comfort zone - which is ultimately all good because of the challenges they bring. I know I have become a better person personally and professionally (as a Local Guide).

Happy to read the Lagos Local Guides Community is so active and that strong, lasting friendships have been born from it. 

i hope this is your Connect Live application Connect post. I feel that you truly wrote from your heart.  And you share more of your Local Guides adventures here on Connect in 2018 and beyond.

Cheers,

Karen

Level 7

Thanks for sharing your amazing journey with us @Sayo . 

Cheers to more accomplishments.

Level 8

Hello @Sayo

Nice. I enjoyed reading it though.

Good luck. 

Cheers

Badruddeen 

Level 8

@Maticoco I'm glad you found my story inspiring and hopefully you will continue to find inspiration everywhere you go, especially when you begin to really explore places with the local guides community in Lagos. @HelloSamsonR already sent you the group link, do join and begin to contribute there and on this platform. If you have any questions whatsoever, do not hesitate to ask them here, as you would have the global community of local guides willing to help out with any queries you might have.

Level 8

Many thanks @bassey for the comment.

Level 8

@Bhaskar_From_India I am happy you found my post a nice read. It is indeed an amazing thing when you find out how many people across the globe have similar experiences as oneself. You would never really know until you take the bold step to put yourself out there and Local Guides Connect and Google Maps have seemingly created those platforms to give us the opportunities to express ourselves in a manner where we help others in ways unimaginable. I wrote the article because I needed to express myself and it is overwhelming to see how much it has connected with so many people around the world. I guess we've both gotten to the point where our previous experiences with Google Maps has fuelled our passion for doing what we do in contributing in one way or the other to make our world that much better for the next person.

Level 8

@BiozidAlMahmud I am already excited in waiting to read your story. One's journey as a Local Guide starts with one little action and then your world opens up to unimaginable opportunities. 

Level 7

@Sayo

Your experience as a local guide is quite good.

Keep contributing 🙂