Martin5352's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Finding Amelie in Monmartre.

Have you ever watched a movie and fallen in love with the characters and the location?  

Well, the 2001 movie Amelie did just that me.  My recent trip to Paris was mainly to see the amazing Monmartre area which is just north of central Paris and is where the Moulin Rouge is located.  

Over 80 locations were used in the film but here are just a few that are central to the movie and easy walking distance from each other.  The most iconic are the Cafe where Amelie worked, Cafe de Deux Moulins, (Cafe Two Windmills) and the grocery store Au Marche de la Butte.  These locations still both exist and you can visit them today.

The Cafe de Deux Moulins is open 7am to 1.30am and you can even have a Creme Brulee for breakfast.  I know because I did.  The place has not changed much since 2001.  Memorabilia from the film is in the old telephone booth but Georgette's cigarette stand is gone.

The grocery store of Mr Collignon is a few hundred metres walk away.  It is hilly so wear good shoes.  The store is open 24 hours so you can get refreshments there any time.  A few posters are on the wall to remind you of the film.  The Collignon sign is still above the awning.

Other locations include the Carousel at the front of the Sacre Coeur, the Canal Saint-Martin (where Amelie skipped stones on the water) and the Notre Dame.  These are Paris landmarks.

You can use my locations to get the exact locations.  Amelie filming locations

There is more to Paris than the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe, but please, see them too.  They are really worth it.

Inside the Cafe des Deux Moulins.  You can almost taste the Creme Brulee.Inside the Cafe des Deux Moulins. You can almost taste the Creme Brulee.Open 24 hours, Au Marche de la Butte.  Not much has change since 2001.Open 24 hours, Au Marche de la Butte. Not much has change since 2001.Skipping stone on the Canal Saint-Martin.Skipping stone on the Canal Saint-Martin.You can still have a ride on the Carousel.You can still have a ride on the Carousel.Notre Dame.  This photo taken 3 weeks before the fire that destroyed the roof.Notre Dame. This photo taken 3 weeks before the fire that destroyed the roof.

Martin
Montmartre, Paris, France
3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Finding Amelie in Monmartre.

Hello @Martin5352

I can say that I've doing it quite a lot, not only places shown in movies but also described in books. As a big fan of Dan Brown, I've been in most of the cities and scenarios where Robert Langdon was except for Barcelona (from the last book). 

But one that really marked me was Rocky. Back in 2012 I was living in Virgina and as a huge fan of the franchise I decided to travel to Philadelphia, PA where the movie was filmed. Besides of doing the Rocky tour where you pass by the famous places where Rocky was training like the 72 stair steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, I also went to visit his neighborhood Kensington where his house is located. I confess that my eyes teared up a bit because it was a dream that came true. 

Caption: a photo of the Rocky's statue with his arms up straight in a "victory" pose with Philadelphia Museum of Art on the background. (Local Guide @FelipePk)Caption: a photo of the Rocky's statue with his arms up straight in a "victory" pose with Philadelphia Museum of Art on the background. (Local Guide @FelipePk)

Caption: a photo from the top of the Rocky's stairs in Philadelphia Museum of Art showing Rocky's footprints and The Oval monument on the background. (Local Guides @FelipePk)Caption: a photo from the top of the Rocky's stairs in Philadelphia Museum of Art showing Rocky's footprints and The Oval monument on the background. (Local Guides @FelipePk)

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Thanks @FelipePK, love your passion too.  I've been fortunate to travel regularly and I love seeing film locations and exploring the cities and nearby places.  So much more to see and explore.

Thanks

Martin
Former Google Contributor

I really enjoyed yours too @Martin5352, thank you a lot for sharing it with us. 😃

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!