TorM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Ethic - Local Guides

Yesterday I received a request on an other social media platform about a photo I did upload for a small jeweler. The request was, if I‘m willing to delete a photo I did upload some month ago. 

It was not the first time and I already received some phone calls to my house where I life with my family.

I have had some discussions about reviews and photos in the past. In fact I‘m not always such happy about this, BUT as I use my official name on GoogleMaps this can happen.

Germany is maybe no easy partner for companies like Google. First of all, the danger is seen and not the opportunity...

BUT what I have to underline:

1. Virtual is only a different sphere and it is no independent subworld. I‘m no schizophrenic. (At least I try 😉)

2. I like to support people, as I believe in humans. So, this includes as well the businesses I reviewing or photographing.

3. Meetups and other contacts like discussions with business owners or people I meet while taking pictures, give a much broughter view on the diverse society. Before GoogleMaps I would never imagine to discuss with a seller of guns.... He was proud to do this .... It is not so, that I accept this, but I understand. And he offered me to take a picture (with now a lot of views)

4. I understand different ways of life, when reading the posts here on Localguideconnect. Some open my mind, some give me the power to rethink what I do.

What I like to say: Local Guides have somehow a responsibility. If they behave authentic like in a normal human relation, they of course will have challenges, but on this everyone of us will grow... 

B75B7A3B-582B-423A-AD99-30AD48CDFFD6.jpeg

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Germany
12 comments
Level 8

Re: Ethic - Local Guides

Hello @TorM  I don't understand what you mean about talking to the seller of guns, do you do reviews on a shop that sells guns? Are gun shops legal in Germany. I find this very strange as guns are illegal in Ireland, even our police force, the Gardai do not carry guns (unless in a special task force) I have never even seen a gun. By the way, in reference to your comment, that you are not a schizophrenic, there is nothing wrong with having a mental health issue as long as your not in possession of a gun of course 

Connect Moderator

@Eire27, agree with you. 

In Germany is permitted to sell guns to sport shooters, hunters, historical weapon collectors... 

As I wrote: I can discuss, but I don’t have to agree always. I don’t like that animals are killed, but indeed like to have wildboard from time to time. This is as well a contrast. 

As well indeed sport shooting is a quite big tradition in Germany. 

I didn’t wrote about the US understanding of weapons....

Level 9

Iam agree with your post @Eire27...

Level 8

@TorM  oh right, hunting weapons, I misunderstood when you said, the seller of guns. On a lighter note, my sister, husband and 2 daughters are going to Berlin next week to visit the Christmas Markets, which I believe are lovely, last year they went to the Cologne Christmas Markets which were lovely, so I am looking forward to seeing photos from Berlin this year. I have been to Vienna in winter time,  one of my other sisters married an Austrian and has 5 children. Anyway I loved seeing people roasting chestnuts and eating them for the first time, lovely 

Level 8

Hi @NirmalTeja  Thank You

Connect Moderator

Yes @Eire27, the Christmas Market season has started in Germany... It is always somehow special here: 

I was already out with my wooden friend...

9F529CC7-FD7E-475F-ACE8-AAFDF3715DF6.jpeg

Nutcracker greetings from Germany 

Colone is nice, but I hope we will see here pictures from Nürnberg.... @LudwigGermany ? 😉

Level 8

Thanks @TorM  ahh Great Photo 😀

Level 10

Hi @TorM as avid photographer, (12325 photos and 460 videos uploaded to maps till today) i've also received some removal requests, and I always accepted the request. Sometimes the business owner is totally wrong in what he can and what he cannot ask, and I have to explain that I could accept his request if he understands that I'm not required to remove a front store photography if he doesn't like.

So I often take this opportunity to help understand what they can do with their listing, and the advantages they can achieve entering the free GMB program.

So it's often a nice opportunity too.

Connect Moderator

Yes, exactly @LucioV , this is the point. Every contact is as well an opportunity to promote GoogleMaps.

In fact I don’t know so much about the GMB Program. Is this free for the business owner?

I gave the store today some hints what they can do, but was not sure how the Business GoogleMaps program does work.