RobAo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Egypt: Mixing Business with Local Guiding

This is a series of posts that have been waiting for a long waiting to go up. I'm going to pick out highlights of cities I travelled to recently with some photos/videos. Since I'm on my leave day, I decided I'd stop procrastinating on it and get it going:

My work has allowed me to travel around the world especially within Africa. One of the things I enjoyed about it is how being a local guide allows me to view the cities from a different perspective - not as a tourist, rather as a local particularly while solo travelling

EGYPT

I've travelled to several cities and countries and out of all of them, hats off to Egyptians. They are the most humble, friendly and welcoming people I have ever met. From Alexandria to Giza and Cairo, they welcome you for the first time as though you grew up with them. The highlight of my experience was when I went to a restaurant with several 50 Piastres notes (USD 0.03) thinking they were 50 Pounds ($3.2). Given I didn't carry my debit card and the rest of the money was at the hotel, I was worried that I was going to go and peel potatoes (it's a Kenyan thing). Overcoming the English-Arabic language barrier, the waiter called up the restaurant manager who explained the situation and spoke to my minder over the phone. They agreed to let me go to the hotel and return back the next day with the money. I offered to leave my watch as collateral for when I returned with the right amount, and he declined. You know how when the plane touches down and everyone claps for the pilot? That was all the waiters who were watching and listening intently on what was going on did. 

Note, this is just a tip of the iceberg of my awesome friendly experience while there.

Places to visit 

Here's a list for Discovering Egypt (Alexandria & Cairo)

Select Moments

Cairo Opera House (Source: Robert Opiyo)Cairo Opera House (Source: Robert Opiyo)

Robert (Ice Lions) and members of Anubis Ice Hockey Team (Egypt)Robert (Ice Lions) and members of Anubis Ice Hockey Team (Egypt)

Post football photo photo at the park outside Abdeen Palace Museum. One of the kids wasn't too happy to see me join but at the end, he asked for us to take a group photoPost football photo photo at the park outside Abdeen Palace Museum. One of the kids wasn't too happy to see me join but at the end, he asked for us to take a group photo

Here are two videos I shot and edited from my assignment while in Cairo:

Highlight reel of Andela Egypt Distributed Engineers

Taher: Life of a Software Engineer

Egypt