DanC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Do I still own copyright of my images on Google Maps?

I have recently noticed that a local newspaper has used an image of a business that I submitted to Google Maps for an article they have written. The newspaper hasn't attributed the picture to either Google (Maps) or myself, so I was wondering: do I still own copyright or whatever to any images I submit as a Local Guide? 

It's not the best picture in the world, but it's more the principle of the matter. I was even considering invoicing them for having the cheek to 'steal' it!

Oxford, United Kingdom
18 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Do I still own copyright of my images on Google Maps?

Hi @DanC

You certainly retain ownership (i.e. copyright) over any content you submit to Google (while granting Google "non-exclusive" rights to use your content of course) It is laid down in the very general Terms of Service of Google (so not even in the more special maps TOS) here: 

https://www.google.com/intl/ALL/policies/terms/#toc-content

"...You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights [i.e. copyright] that you hold in that content..."

@Petersoniq wrote:

Looking at it another way.

In the UK I frequently see television news use a Google map to illustrate a breaking news story but not the class of images you and me add. I assume the legal/financial arragement they have with Google is restricted to the use of maps.

@PeterGO: there is an additional set of permissions and requirements for attribution for using maps and google earth. Basically what a TV show / news does is okay as long as it is clear that it's Google Maps and the attribution is not covered (or just mentioned at the end or the TV programme). You can read more here: 

https://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines/attr-guide.html

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Level 5

Oh, OK.

I'll repost my query on there and see if anyone knows.

Level 7

Google have added a tag to all my Google Map images saying "Images may be subject to copyright" which should be seen by anybody trying to look at a high resolution version.

Although copyright laws vary jurisdiction to jurisdiction I would be very surprised if your images have not got the same tag.

Level 5

My images do indeed have the same copyright information at the bottom. I just wondered what that actually entailed, but it seems to be that the owner still holds the rights to any pictures submitted to Maps - at least from what I can make out it does.

Level 7

In the UK I frequently see television news use a Google map to illustrate a breaking news story but not the class of images you and me add. I assume the legal/financial arragement they have with Google is restricted to the use of maps.

Level 10
Solution

Hi @DanC

You certainly retain ownership (i.e. copyright) over any content you submit to Google (while granting Google "non-exclusive" rights to use your content of course) It is laid down in the very general Terms of Service of Google (so not even in the more special maps TOS) here: 

https://www.google.com/intl/ALL/policies/terms/#toc-content

"...You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights [i.e. copyright] that you hold in that content..."

@Petersoniq wrote:

@PeterGO: there is an additional set of permissions and requirements for attribution for using maps and google earth. Basically what a TV show / news does is okay as long as it is clear that it's Google Maps and the attribution is not covered (or just mentioned at the end or the TV programme). You can read more here: 

https://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines/attr-guide.html

Level 5

Thanks @Csaba. This pretty much answers my question and I feel more confident now in approaching the outlet that's used my picture(s) without seeking my permission.

Level 10

Hi @DanC

I am glad if I have been of any help. I am (also) a lawyer and although have not specialized in copyright law, I must have my basic understanding - and I also have the "bad habit" of reading the TOS of important services I use 🙂 I have been contributing to Maps (or first Google Earth) for over a decade now and am familiar with these conditions as they are indeed important. 

There is one important rule: Googlers (community managers, forum admins etc.) are never supposed to comment on legal issues. They always tell us to read the TOS and - when in doubt - consult a lawyer. So in any case, if you indeed want to take legal actions, make sure you are backed up by an attorney of your jurisdiction (at least when things go serious and of course if you want to get that far).

Level 5

Hi @DanC I wondered how did you notice that your photos were used? Did you just came across our Google informed you? I really wonder if we can request Google to let us know if 3rd party uses or photos.  So that we can ask for our copyrights.