U-royFelixA's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: Cultural Disparities: Does Your Culture Mandate You to Greet Your Elders After Your Meal?

It is my pleasure @U-royFelixA

A-Beta
Level 10

Re: Cultural Disparities: Does Your Culture Mandate You to Greet Your Elders After Your Meal?

@U-royFelixA, given that Nigeria has 250 ethnic groups it is quite interesting to read through your post and found out that your culture mandates you to greet your elders after you’re done eating and also great them after they’re done eating. Isaac_OUzomaJ, @wildspan@AnitaAOibisobSagir you all will agree with me that the Yorubas (where I am from) are known to have greetings for almost everything - before and after eating inclusive. It's interesting that Yoruba will start greetings right from while the food is being prepared (otherwise referred to by the Yorubas as "on the fire") - hence they say "E ku ase o" and that means "Well done for preparing the / our food".

Other greetings associated with eating by the Yorubas are:

- Whilst eating, you courteously invite others around you by saying "E ba mi re o" - which means please join me and the invited person respond by saying "A gba bi 're o".

- Done eating, you thank whosoever prepared the food (either young or old) by saying "E se a dupe - t'ola a j'ina o" - which means thank you - may you have means to provide food tomorrow as well.

Overall, I must admit that this culture of greetings by the Yoruba is gradually being eroded  - nowadays. 

Level 10

Yes, @U-royFelixA, in Australia, it's custom to ask if you may leave the table after dinner. Also, at our place, we wait until all the Mums have started eating, before we eat. It's funny because all the Mums always say, "Just start," and we have to wait. It's like they're testing us for respect. We love your story about table manners and honouring your parents. Thank you for sharing such a lovely story. Kindest regards from Osaka78 🙂

Level 10

@Sagir Thank you very much for sharing. I appreciate.

Level 10

@NadyaPN Thank you immensely for your contributions. How is the weather in Bulgaria today? Cheers.

Level 10

🤣🤣🤣 @wildspan I appreciate. Thank you for your contributions. 

Level 10

Wow! @YumiSapporo I’m drooling already. These meals are tempting. 😋😋😋

Thank you very much for sharing. I appreciate.

Former Google Contributor

Hey @U-royFelixA,

No, thank you! 🙂 It's extremely cold here, with lots and lots of snow. 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

@U-royFelixA What an interesting topic. I never thought of this before (in Nigeria).

Tanzania we have like 80 tribes here so I cannot speak on them or I have no clue but generally. We pray before we eat, and say "thanks (appreciation) / bless you " after meal. 

There is a tribe in Northern Tanzania (not mine) I love their style. when i`ts meal time and a guest arrived during the meal, he / she is not allowed to greet or saying nothing must join the table eat (normally africans add extra cups of rice, flour because we may expect a guest during or after meal) after that now you can greet and start chatting. 

Why they do this? because; 

- You may arrive with bad / sad news once you announce during the meal no one will have an appetite to eat and the food will be useless. At Least you have news and you are done with the meal. 

- You are very exhausted you need a drink, meal to keep you strong because you came along away to visit them. 

How unique is this?? LOL @SanyaOdare @AnitaAO @Osaka78forTRUMP @NadyaPN @KoffiK 

Connect Moderator

you are right @SanyaOdare among all the ethnic groups in Nigeria, Yoruba are known for respect and when it comes to greetings they are number one..

thanks for sharing this with us... "Ese"

Sagir

@SanyaOdare wrote:

@U-royFelixA, given that Nigeria has 250 ethnic groups it is quite interesting to read through your post and found out that your culture mandates you to greet your elders after you’re done eating and also great them after they’re done eating. Isaac_OUzomaJ, @wildspan@AnitaAOibisobSagir you all will agree with me that the Yorubas (where I am from) are known to have greetings for almost everything - before and after eating inclusive. It's interesting that Yoruba will start greetings right from while the food is being prepared (otherwise referred to by the Yorubas as "on the fire") - hence they say "E ku ase o" and that means "Well done for preparing the / our food".

Other greetings associated with eating by the Yorubas are:

- Whilst eating, you courteously invite others around you by saying "E ba mi re o" - which means please join me and the invited person respond by saying "A gba bi 're o".

- Done eating, you thank whosoever prepared the food (either young or old) by saying "E se a dupe - t'ola a j'ina o" - which means thank you - may you have means to provide food tomorrow as well.

Overall, I must admit that this culture of greetings by the Yoruba is gradually being eroded  - nowadays. 

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve