Eire27's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Children from Chernobyl Christmas Visit story Renoved

I am very upset that my Post on the Children from Chernobyl Christmas visit, was removed. I took much time writing it and putting it into my Own Words, I thought it was a beautiful story and wanted to share it. At the end of my post, I wrote that the photos were from,( Irish independent. ie ) as I was not able to go to the airport but the photos were lovely and added to the story that I Wrote in My Own Words, my beautiful post about the children coming to Dublin for Christmas. The post was my own content as hold the story of Chernobyl in my heart for many years, apart from the photos, but wrote at the end where I got the photos  

6 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Children from Chernobyl Christmas Visit story Renoved

Hi @Eire27,

Unfortunately your post about Children from Chernobyl Christmas Visit was removed, because you didn't use your own photos and this is a violation on our Local Guides community policy.

I can suggest that you share another post and use your own photos, or if you don't have just share it without photos.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator . Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Hi @Eire27 I did not see your post, but I can offer a suggestion based on your words here. Recently there has been increased focus on privacy, copyright and plagiarism. Using photos that belong to someone else or have been taken from media or internet without permission in most cases violates copyright and at the very least is image plagiarism. 

While in some places there are circumstances where it ok to use the images belonging to others when you have written permission to do so, the policy here on Connect is that Local Guides cannot use images of others and that there is zero tolerance of this behaviour with posts with issues being removed.

If you were to repost your words without the photos you used from someplace else then you would be ok. The Local Guides Rules are clear in these aspects of what is problematic and what will happen.

Regards Paul

Level 8

Hi @PaulPavlinovich OK thanks. I just thought because I've seen other people use photos off the net but credited them on the post that it was OK. The photos from the net Independent.ie are from a national Newspaper Irish Independent and the story and photos were on my phone, you know when you go to google something and it has stories that may interest you. It was about 40 children and young people being greeted at Dublin Airport as they arrive for Christmas visit from Chernobyl, part of a 2 week rest and recuperate programme, staying with host families in 9 counties across Ireland. They we're not born in 1986 at time of nuclear disaster but they and many children suffer from its effects, most of the 40 are in wheelchairs, one boy was given a new wheelchair at Airport. Ireland has strong ties with the children of Chernobyl, our school children have sent Christmas packages to the children since 1986 orphanages. My own children did this and looked forward to it every year. Anyway thanks Paul, hope my message doesn't wake you up 

Connect Moderator

Hi @Eire27 yes, it used to be seen as ok to re-use and give credit but that has now changed.

It is really cool what the people of your home has done for them. At a youth camp near where I live that I help run there is a Children of Chernobyl garden and the organisation provided money, clothes and blankets at the time of the disaster.

While it is possible to visit Pripyat today for around a day at a time it still is far from safe to live there although nature seems to have adapted nicely and moved into this new nature preserve that is mostly free of mankind.

Regards Paul

Level 8

Hello @PaulPavlinovich That's lovely about the youth camp and Chernobyl garden, also sad about pripyat but lovely that Mother nature can find her way to heal and repair when left free from mankind. I wish you a very Happy Christmas and a Peaceful New Year, best wishes, Orla 

Connect Moderator