cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Business responses - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

image.png

Background

Like most Local Guides, over the years I've received quite a few responses from the businesses that I have rated and reviewed on Google Maps and only yesterday in my Eden Visitor Information Centre replied to your review on Google post, I wrote about one such review that came out of my recent holiday. 

The early comments from fellow Local Guides reading my earlier post are very interesting. I say this because while the focus of my post was on positive reviews, some of the comments touched on the not so positives and even negative reviews. 

Both @PrasadVR and @ShailendraOjha came up with similar but almost opposing business owner responses. In Prasad's case (see here) we see the business owner seeking help from Prasad wanting to understand what they could have done better.  However, in Shailendra's example posted here, we see a clear example where the customer didn't leave a perfect rating or review, and the business owner turns a blind eye to this and suggests otherwise.  I also particularly love what @PaulPavlinovich wrote in his comment:

@AdamGT I love seeing replies, it makes it easy to tell the difference between a business that understands customer service and a business that does nothing to deserve our hard earned money. A reply to a positive review is always nice, but a constructive reply to a lower rating review gives me hope that the business might listen. A negative or abusive reply tells me the business owner does not deserve my money.

Then in his concluding comment @abermans plants the seed "Maybe we can have a post about some of the best and worst responses LGs ever got...." which prompted me to start this The Good, the Bad and the Ugly post.  So let's hear them but perhaps instead of the ugly, let's include the funniest.  I'll start the ball rolling with my best and worst responses and will add my funniest when I find it LOL.

My best response:

Well actually it was hard for me to find my best response but I particularly like this one based on the background and overall experience behind the review.  A couple of years ago I visited the Melbourne Maserati dealership and dreuled over this beautiful machine on the showroom floor.  I just wanted it.  At the time I had my lady with me and her comment was "Come on! Keep walking and stop dreaming" to which I replied, "you'd better believe me, one day I'm coming back and I'm driving out in that mean looking machine (shown in the cover photo)." You can see the full review with photos and the business owner's full reply here.

image.png

My worst response:
This was my first time visit to this local restaurant and I have to honestly say that my expectations weren't ridiculously high but based on the disappointing experience, I left an honest review but got this ridiculous response. I see this as a missed opportunity for the restaurant.

image.png

OK so now it's over to you.  In the comments below share your best, worst and funniest responses to your reviews from business owner. We all can't wait to read them.

Top 100 Local Guides Leaderboards from over 100 different countries!!!
13 comments
Level 8

Re: Business responses - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Wonderful dear @AdamGT  sir, you are a make such a fantastic challenge between local Guide.😀 I really appreciate your initiative efforts sir 🤝 , & definitely participate your initiative sir.

shailendraOjha

▶️
GoogleGuide_shailen13

Connect Moderator

Thank you for your kind words of appreciation @ShailendraOjha. By sharing and engaging we all learn and improve in a fun and enjoyable way. I look forward to reading about your best, worst and funniest business reviews but realize that it can take sometime to find them LOL.

Level 8

As a your initiative dear @AdamGT i participate, here is latest review & replies.

Best:-

1000035203.png

 caption:- rating/review/replies.

Wrost:-

1000035204.png

 caption:- rating/review/ replies 

Funniest 

1000035205.png

 caption:- rating/review/replies.

shailendraOjha

▶️
GoogleGuide_shailen13

Level 10

Hello @AdamGT ,

@adamGT wrote I replied, "you'd better believe me, one day I'm coming back and I'm driving out in that mean looking machine (shown in the cover photo)."

At the outset, wishing you all the best for your wish to come true soon!

It's a nice idea to start a post on Business response. The cover photo is stunning. I have checked my inbox and found around 100 thank you emails from owners in the past year. I am sharing a feedback from owner for 5 star rating review.

PrasadVR_0-1713240861538.png

Signature Image
Level 10

Very interesting @AdamGT    This one is different, In light of our ongoing situation with missing views, I found this one funny and the owners response was good. I don't have the email but I cut and paste.

Your review

TerryPG_0-1712795122015.png

TP G.

Local Guide · 1,824 reviews · 7,413 photos

3 years ago

NEW

I had my eye on one of their easels and couldn't decide to buy it. Next time I'm in the area I will have to revisit this great store. They can also supply you with all your office paper, printing, office supplies, computer needs, furniture and so much more.

Response from the owner a year ago

Oh wow Terry. This review has been lost in cyber space 2 years. It just arrived. I hope you got your easel, if not we now have more than a dozen styles to choose from. 

~ with gratitude

Bill Waters

Here is actual link to Poi.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/DCs2dieAR8jvsubv8

Level 8

A very interesting subject and close to my heart as I’ve worked in the hotel and restaurant business for quite a while before my retirement. I was a PA for a large Dutch hotel chain of luxury hotels and as such it was my job to deal with complaints that escalated from our hotels. Oh, the complaints I got! I wish I could write a book as some are just absolutely hilarious. Some people will say anything if they believe it’ll give them a free diner, stay or whatever. In my reviews I do my best to stay objective and write reviews that are helpful. But most importantly , if I have an issue with anything , I will always (always!) take it up with the owner of the place. To me, that is the absolute first thing you do.  After all, that is how a business learns. 
That being said, we moved to Germany 4 years ago and while Dutch and -especially- American business are pretty good at responding to their reviews (whether positive or negative) I have definitely noticed that things are very different in Germany. In all honesty, the Italian, French or Belgian businesses I’ve reviewed have hardly replied either but I’m noticing a trend/feeling (I’m not sure what to call it) in Germany that is … different. Instead of focusing on ‘customer satisfaction a lot of businesses don’t understand the importance of reviews and will sometimes take their “fights” with a customer online. As if no one reads them… (the best example of that is “Hüftgold” in Monschau, Germany - un.be.lie.va.ble.)

As I always discuss my remarks with the restaurant or accommodation in question. I cannot provide you with negative remarks from business owners as I deal with them face to face. I did get a few “thank yous” which I was happy with but when people leave me emojis…. I’m out. To me that’s a sign of horrible communication although I do appreciate their willingness to interact with customers. Albeit limited.

What do you think? Do you discuss your comments with business owners or do you just go away, not saying anything?

Level 10

I'd left a positive review for a vegan restaurant called Beaut Burger. Their response was very perplexing:

row reef.png

It took a few minutes of trying to decipher the message before I realized that Google had taken it upon themselves to "translate" the owners review for me. Apparently, the original response was determined to be Danish:

rad rev.png

'Rad rev!' being short for 'Rad Review!' Just be careful of using shorthand in Maps @AdamGT  😂

JustJake TRAC Badge
Connect Moderator

The examples you cited @ShailendraOjha are interesting as in both cases you only gave ratings. I can't help but wonder how different the business replies would have been had you given detailed reviews.

Connect Moderator

Haha @PrasadVR, me driving out in that Maser is predicated on me winning the lottery LOL. You've done well having some 100 thank you responses from business owners Prasad, so well done you!