Mikeinthefalls's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Braille and Basketball - Accessibility Awareness in the NBA

Cleveland Charge Host Braille Literacy Awareness Night with Special Jerseys and Guest Broadcaster 

Greetings, my fellow Local Guides 👋🏽

The Cleveland Charge (G League affiliate of the Cleveland Cavaliers) basketball team recently held Braille Literacy Awareness Night on January 13th, to highlight the importance of braille for the visually impaired community. I was excited to attend the game with my son and proud to be part of an effort to bring awareness and accessibility to an often overlooked segment of sports fans.

Caption: a photo of the large LED screen displays the braille embroidered jerseys, in promotion of Braille Awareness NightCaption: a photo of the large LED screen displays the braille embroidered jerseys, in promotion of Braille Awareness Night

Westlake resident Allan Wylie, blind since birth and a talented sports commentator, returned to broadcast the game alongside play by play announcer Scott Zurilla.He uses a braille-based note system and his exceptional memory to cover various local sports and offers fans a unique perspective to game calling. 

IMG_20240121_123847.jpg

Special jerseys featuring raised braille for the team crest and player names were created, symbolizing inclusivity and accessibility. Coaches and staff also wore shirts with "Cleveland Charge" in legible braille. Posters and rosters were printed further promoting awareness and inclusivity.

Caption: a photo featuring the back of a braille embossed Cleveland Charge jerseyCaption: a photo featuring the back of a braille embossed Cleveland Charge jersey

Caption: a photo of the legible braille Cleveland Charge rosterCaption: a photo of the legible braille Cleveland Charge roster

To ensure legibility, New Jersey Sets used puff paint for larger text while Aille Design added specific-sized braille beading. Large sized braille images aren't able to be read, so the beads make the jerseys fully legible.

Caption: A photo featuring the a Charge player and the front of his braille embossed jersey on the large LED screenCaption: A photo featuring the a Charge player and the front of his braille embossed jersey on the large LED screen

After the game these unique jerseys were auctioned off on DASH, with proceeds benefiting the Cleveland Sight Center.

Caption: a photo of the legible braille poster promoting the jersey auctionCaption: a photo of the legible braille poster promoting the jersey auction

The game was rescheduled to 8:00 pm to allow fans to watch both the Cleveland Browns playoff game and the Charge game, without missing any action. The Charge showcased their new state-of-the-art LED screen, promoting both awareness and entertainment. While the Browns and Charge both suffered losses that day, braille awareness night was a huge win.

Caption: a photo of @mikeinthefalls and his son, ChaseCaption: a photo of @mikeinthefalls and his son, Chase

This event went beyond just a basketball game. It was a platform for empowering individuals with visual impairments, educating the public about braille and fostering a more inclusive community. Wylie's involvement and the specially designed jerseys were powerful symbols of this organization and its commitment to being accessible to all fans.

Caption: a screenshot of the Cleveland Sight Centers Facebook page, expressing their gratitude to the Cleveland Charge.Caption: a screenshot of the Cleveland Sight Centers Facebook page, expressing their gratitude to the Cleveland Charge.

Cleveland, OH, USA
26 comments
Level 7

Re: Braille and Basketball - Accessibility Awareness in the NBA

Level 10

@Mikeinthefalls  Thank you for tagging me in this great post. I’m glad to hear that you and your son attended this event. It’s great to see the initiative to raise awareness about the importance of braille literacy. I would like to tag my friends @ShailendraOjha  @BudiFXW @Tandrima2 @JustJake 

Signature Image
Level 7

Glad to see you enjoyed the post @PrasadVR  It really was great to see a professional sports team promote accessibility, braille and literacy awareness. I hope that other teams will soon follow their lead!

Level 8

@Mikeinthefalls  informative & awareness post, i appreciate..... it's a wonderful subject of awareness like accessibility for All. firstly I noticed Braille lipi in India when I saw star India (ESPN star sports JV) program time book in Braille lipi nearly 2002 i saved that book in my knowledge bank, whenever open it I will definitely share the pics that book. BTW whenever I visit anywhere i always notice & try to find what facilities are available. (Accessible for all). Thanks for tag me @PrasadVR 

shailendraOjha

▶️
GoogleGuide_shailen13

Connect Moderator

I wasn't aware that January is Braille awareness month @Mikeinthefalls,

Thank you for the wonderful post and the information about the awareness night event.

Whereas it is common to see Braille letters on the elevator button, here are some unusual places where I noticed Braille letters.

For example, here's one in the Bullet Trains in Japan. This is on a handlebar:

Tushar_Suradkar_0-1705871556689.png

Here's another place in Delhi - a medieval astronomical observatory in India, called the Jantar-Mantar' where they have installed a metal plate with the full information in Braille:

Tushar_Suradkar_1-1705871653353.jpeg

Here is the full post:

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/The-Jantar-Mantar-Medieval-Era-Astronomical...

Also, when I come across an elevator in Gurugram where I lived 5 years ago, I took an initiative to install hand-made letters on the elevator buttons:

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Accessibility-for-All-Is-Your-Residence-Wel...

Tushar_Suradkar_2-1705871814582.jpeg

Hope you like the posts 😊

Level 10

Absolutely wonderful evening for an awareness night for the visibility impaired @Mikeinthefalls  I am glad you enjoyed this evening with your son.

Tagging my friend and  fellow guide @KattyGeltmeyer  who think will enjoy this post.

Level 9

Betreff: Braille and Basketball - Accessibility Awareness in the NBA

@Mikeinthefalls was für ein ermutigenger Bericht über Hilfsprojekte und sehr gut beschrieben samt der schönen Bilder 

Level 10

Hai @Mikeinthefalls .

You and yoour beloved son is very lucky  can attendBraille Literacy Awarenness Night and integrated with baasket ball event, the most favorite sport in your country.

I like the photos of Jersey with braille embosed and list of player with braille beading.

Thanks @PrasadVR for tagging me.

Tag (@BudiFXW) in your post or comment, I will happily to connect with you.
Level 7

Thanks for taking the time to check out my post @ShailendraOjha  I'm glad to read that you enjoyed it

The braille program sounds really cool, I look forward to seeing the photos!