MatthewRafat's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Being a Local Guide

When I first started uploading photos to Google Maps, I did it for the free Google Drive space. Over time, as I realized almost every other travel and business platform was biased, I began to appreciate the simplicity of Google's model.

Having traveled to 50 countries, most of them in the last three years, I sincerely believe mobile technology, coupled with honest reviews and publications, can help individuals promote social and economic development. We tend to forget now, but when the internet first went mainstream, the goal was to make information free. The idealism behind the tech movement, especially in Silicon Valley, was a firm belief that the act of sharing one's knowledge accelerates collaboration and leads to innovation otherwise impossible.

Today, we have innovation but not integrity, and part of the problem is a lack of objectivity because of paid endorsements or attempts to gain viewers at any cost. As far as I know, local guides posting on Google do it "for the love of the game," or in my case, "the love of travel." As long as we maintain integrity, we can use technology to fulfill Larry Page's and Sergey Brin's original vision: to make (objective) information free, and to bring people together in meaningful ways. 

London, imitating the BeatlesLondon, imitating the Beatles

9 comments
Level 8

Being a Local Guide

From Guanajuato, Mexico.

IMG_5235.jpg

From CDMX

2018.jpg

Level 8

Being a Local Guide

Hidalgo Mural in Queretaro, MexicoHidalgo Mural in Queretaro, Mexico

Former Google Contributor

Re: Being a Local Guide

Hi @MatthewRafat 

I released your post from the Spam Quarantine. I would like to apologize for your post being marked as spam. Our filters run 24/7 and they can be a little harsh at times. You can visit this article to learn more - Why was my Connect post marked as spam?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hi @MatthewRafat,

I have just released your post from the Spam Filters. I would like to apologize for your post being marked as spam. Our filters run 24/7 and they can be a little harsh at times.

You can visit this article to learn more - Why was my Connect post marked as spam?.

You may be new to Connect or writing to share a post for your Connect Live application. If you're applying to Connect Live be sure to share a link to a new Connect post responding to this year’s application prompt. You can find everything you need to know about writing a post for Connect Live 2019 here.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hi @MatthewRafat,

I have just released your post from the Spam Filters. I would like to apologize for your post being marked as spam. Our filters run 24/7 and they can be a little harsh at times.

You can visit this article to learn more - Why was my Connect post marked as spam?.

You may be new to Connect or writing to share a post for your Connect Live application. If you're applying to Connect Live be sure to share a link to a new Connect post responding to this year’s application prompt. You can find everything you need to know about writing a post for Connect Live 2019 here.

The photo that you have posted does not appear to be your own and is in violation of the Local Guides program rules. You must remove it from your post. You might as well want to read the following article How do I follow the original content guidelines on Connect?.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@TsekoV, last week, the Google Local Guides website had issues because so many people were uploading Local Connect conference applications. Apparently, the spam filters overreacted to the sudden surge of inputs and uploads. In my case, I've already submitted two other posts for the conference. I cannot delete this post unless you remove your comment. 

In addition, your spam filters are still erring. The message says my photo isn't mine, but it is. I took it personally. 

Can you please delete your comments on this post and the other one you took out of the spam filter so I can delete them? Thank you. 

FYI @JavieraAu, I've noticed many other duplicate posts. I hope you and the moderators are looking into this issue and figuring out ways for Guides to delete duplicate posts. 

Hi @MatthewRafat,

Thank you for flagging this to us. My advice is to not delete anything, but to merge your duplicate posts to your main post that you used to apply for Connect Live. Could you please verify which is your main post that you used, so I can merge the other two posts in it?

Level 8

@TsekoV: Thank you! 

Hi @MatthewRafat,

I handled this one. Now, everything is kept together and you don't need to worry. : )

Hope you have fun around!