saidevadiga's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

An amazing view of Mysuru Palace

Mysuru Palace or Amba Vilas Palace, MysuruMysuru Palace or Amba Vilas Palace, Mysuru

The cityscape of Mysuru is adorned with seven palaces, Mysuru Palace being the most spectacular one. Its history dates back to the 14th century, when its foundation was laid by the Wodeyars or Wadiyars. The Old Palace was built in the Puragiri, or the Old Fort, by Yaduraya Wodeyar, the first King of Mysore.

The Old Palace, made entirely of wood, used to face the Chamundi Hills eastward. The initial construction was completed in 1574, after which the royal family began living here.

In 1638, tragedy befell upon the erstwhile fortress when it was struck by lightning. Since it was a wooden structure, the entire palace burned down. It was soon reconstructed under the reign and supervision of the 12th King of the Wodeyar dynasty, Kantirava Narasa Raja Wodeyar.

155 years later, in 1793, when Mysore came under the Islamic reign, Tipu Sultan decided not to swear allegiance to the Wodeyar dynasty. He knocked down the palace and reconstructed it to make it his new capital, Nazarbad. Soon after, in 1799 after the demise of Tipu Sultan, Mysore and the Mysore Palace went back to the Wodeyars. Krishnaraja Wodeyar III took it back and redid the palace following a Hindu architectural style.

Tragedy did not end here for the palatial abode of the rajas. In 1896, during the wedding ceremony of princess Jayalakshammani, the eldest daughter of Chamaraja Wodeyar, the palace caught fire and was burnt down to ashes. Thus, began the reconstruction work in 1897, which went on till 1912. British architect Henry Irwin was brought on board by Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV to redo the palace. Executive engineer in the Mysore Palace division P. Raghavulu Naidu was in charge of overseeing the construction.

The structure and architecture

Architect Henry Irwin went to Delhi, erstwhile Madras and Calcutta to extensively research the predominant architectural style. The entire cost of redoing the palace went up to INR 42 lakh, back in 1912. For a palace with such elaborate history, the architecture bears a true testimony to the years gone by.

Built with stone and marble in the Indo-Saracenic style, the Mysore Palace, courtesy its multiple renovations, is now a fusion of Hindu, Mughal, Rajput, and Gothic styles. Featuring dark pink domes, turrets, expansive arches and porticos, the palace is a three-storeyed structure. It also features a five-storey and 145 feet high tower which has a gold-plated dome.

There are two durbar halls, courtyards, mahogany gates with embellishments, and the residential quarters of the royal family in the palace premises. It also has 12 temples that were built over time by all the Wodeyar kings.

The palace can be accessed through four main gates. The East gate, or the Jaya Maarthaanda, is the front gate. It is opened strictly for dignitaries during Dasara. The West gate or the Varaha, is also a Dasara special. The gate that’s open for the general public is the South gate, aka Balarama. There’s also the Jayarama, or the North gate, which showcases the kingdom’s emblem and coat of arms through inscriptions.

Mysore Palace and its tradition of Dasara

The palace has the tradition of celebrating the state festival Dasara, dating back to centuries. Till today, it is celebrated across 10 days with the same pomp and magnificence. The palace hosts a special durbar, athletic competitions, music, and dance concerts to commemorate the festival.

On the last day of Vijayadashami, the city witnesses a grand procession of decorated elephants, known as the Jumbo Savari. In this procession, the lead elephant props up an idol of goddess Chamundeshwari inside a golden howdah. Several dance groups, tribal artists, music bands, decorated horses, and camels are also a part of this procession. The procession then comes to a stop at Bannimantap, where the banni tree is worshipped.

For the grand festival of Dasara, the entire Mysore Palace is lit up with more than 97,000 light bulbs and it’s a sight you absolutely do not want to miss!

Address: Sayyaji Rao Rd, Agrahara, Chamrajpura, Mysuru, Karnataka 570001

Palace timings: 10.00 am – 05.30 pm on all days

Palace illumination timings: 07.00 pm – 07.45 pm on Sundays, national holidays, and State festivals.

Tickets: Adults (Indian / Foreign) – INR 100
Children between 10 – 18 Years – INR 50
Children below 10 years – Free entry

Article Credit : Lifestyle Asia 

Mysuru, Karnataka, India
9 comments
Level 9

Betreff: An amazing view of Mysore Palace...

@saidevadiga 

Der Palast sieht auch fantastisch aus auf dem schönen Foto , wie schön muss es dann von Innen sein.

Connect Moderator

Re: An amazing view of Mysore Palace...

Hello @saidevadiga 
Welcome to LG Connect 🙏 and congratulations on your first post here.

The Mysuru Palace looks like an interesting place in Mysuru.
Did you visit here recently?
Please also include information like how to reach here, parking facility, palace timings, entry ticket, Google Maps coordinates, etc. for the benefit of local guides planning a visit here.

I am sure renowned photographer @TravellerG who has also taken amazing shots of the palace will find this interesting and can guide you in your further journey on Connect.

Also, please introduce yourself to the local guide community here and get featured on Connect:
https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Introduce-Yourself-March-2024/td-p/3722464

Level 9

@Annaelisa  Thanks for your reply.

Mysore palace was built with stone and marble in the Indo-Saracenic style, the Mysore Palace, courtesy its multiple renovations, is now a fusion of Hindu, Mughal, Rajput, and Gothic styles. Featuring dark pink domes, turrets, expansive arches and porticos, the palace is a three-storeyed structure. It also features a five-storey and 145 feet high tower which has a gold-plated dome.

There are two durbar halls, courtyards, mahogany gates with embellishments, and the residential quarters of the royal family in the palace premises. It also has 12 temples that were built over time by all the Wodeyar kings.

The palace can be accessed through four main gates. The East gate, or the Jaya Maarthaanda, is the front gate. It is opened strictly for dignitaries during Dasara. The West gate or the Varaha, is also a Dasara special. The gate that’s open for the general public is the South gate, aka Balarama. There’s also the Jayarama, or the North gate, which showcases the kingdom’s emblem and coat of arms through inscriptions.

Level 9

@Tushar_Suradkar  Thanks for your reply...

Mysore palace is located right in the heart of the city. The city bus stand is located at a corner of the palace. In fact the Myosre city bus stand and the palace share a common wall.

The mufesal bus stand - the KSRTC Bus Stand - from where long distance buses are operated is located at couple of kilometers away from the palace.
In fact it is possible to walk from the bus stand to the north gate and the east gate of the palace. Its about 1 kilometer(½ mile ). The south gate is another 1 kilometer (½ mile ).

Note that the ticket counter is located at the south gate. A road and a footpath goes around the outer wall of the palace compound.
From the bus stand area to the palace ticket counter it is about 15 minutes ( Rs 15 to 25) ride by an auto rickshaw.
The Mysore railway station is relatively far from the palace, with respect to the bus stand ( 2½ km /1½ mile ). Hire an auto rickshaw to the palace. Or you can even catch a city bus to the palace locality.

Mysore city is well connected by other major towns and cities of Karnataka by train and bus. Also there are frequent interstate bus services from Mysore to many cities of Tamilnadu and Kerala.
Bangalore to Mysore is a well connected and busy route. Mysore airport is relatively new and less busy, only chartered flights operate.

Level 10

Amazing start at the right forum, dear fellow LG @saidevadiga ,

Are you from Mysore?

Congratulations!

Welcome to LG Connect Community...

Thanks our Connect Moderator @Tushar_Suradkar for tagging me in this beautiful post...

Great to be here...

Yes, I too have conducted two photoshoots here - one in day and another at night. 

I'm sharing one out of the many photos of my collection!

Illumination in Mysore Palace, IndiaIllumination in Mysore Palace, India

Hope our LG @saidevadiga will respond.

Hello LG Saidev...

If you don't TAG, the other LG won't get any "Notification" that you have responded/replied to.

How to TAG: Simply by typing the symbol @ before the User Name of an LG (as I have done above, to you), you can send a notification (TAG) to the other member. Ex: if you need to TAG me, then type @ followed by TravellerG - then I will get a notification - for more details, click 'Here'.

Hope this will help you...

🤝🌹👍

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Connect Moderator

Thank you for the detailed information, dear @saidevadiga 

What I mean is to include this information in the main post.

Level 9

@TravellerG  Thanks for your reply...

I'm from a Coastal village Maravanthe which is located Udupi district of Karanataka. I'm staying in Bangalore , Karnataka.

Actually Maravanthe is very famous for their Unique style of Beach. It is considers as one of Karnataka's most beautiful beaches. The Suparnika River, which almost touches the Arabian Sea here, makes a U-turn and goes westward to join the sea after a journey of nearly more than 10 km.

@TravellerG please visit Maravanthe Beach once. Please google it if you want to see the photos.

Level 9

@saidevadiga danke für die weiteren Informationen dadurch kann man sich noch alles besser vorstellen 

Level 10

"...Thanks for your reply..."

You are always welcome, dear LG friend @saidevadiga ,

Happy to meet you here. 

I too am staying in Bangalore only... BTM in stage.

Hope to speak to you soon.

PS:

I have also sent you a Private Message; kindly respond when free.

In case, if you need any assistance:

How to RECEIVE Private Messages in this forum "Receive"

How to SEND Private Messages in this forum "Send"

Thanks 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me