EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Accessible Tourism Information – Lagos

As part of our advocacy, #OneAccessibility, we shall share information about disability issues, inclusion, and/or accessibility features on Maps. Look out every week for this enlightening post.

It is now becoming important for everyone to assess the accessibility status of places and points of interests in major cities. This will enable persons with disabilities, children, infirmed and pregnant women to make adequate plans to navigate the location. Some cities will readily provide accessible information to citizens and tourists through a dedicated agency or independent service providers like NGOs.

This is a period where many people are going on vacation and tours across the world. Persons with disabilities should not be left behind thus accessibility information is important for all types of visitors.

So, I will try to make a list of places and points of interests in Lagos that are accessible. This could be helpful to tourists who are persons with disabilities.

Marina

Screenshot_20231016-182650.png

Caption: Image showing Broad Street with buildings on the left, on both sides flower pots with "CBD" inscription on them placed on the walkways. 

Metro Blue railway lines go to Marina. Marina is the heart of Lagos with the financial hub and central business district located here. Besides, Marina has some of the busiest markets in Lagos like the famous Balogun Market. Marina is also a major stop for metro & BRT buses. Most of buildings and walkways have good wheelchair accessibility. Buildings along the marina are high-rise and they are majorly wheelchair accessible.

Nike Art Gallery                    

Screenshot_20231016-204802.png

Caption: Photo showing artworks and art lovers inside Nike Art Gallery

Nike Art Gallery is the go to place for contemporary art works in Lagos. It is a multi-storey art centre housing various artistic designs from the famous adire cloth to large paintings and metal works forged from recycled stuffs. Entry is free and you get to try the cloths on for photo shoot. Although there is no elevator at the gallery, visitors can reach the gallery early for accommodation and accessibility provisions.

Novare Mall      

Screenshot_20231016-182534.png

Caption: A open restaurant inside the Novare Mall. 

The famous mall with the largest super market facility situated here. The entire mall is accessible by wheelchair and the boutique shops have wide doors and a lift to go up. The parking area has flat surfaces and curbs leading in and out of the mall. The parking lot has dedicated accessibility parking spots which have proximity to the ramps.

City Hall

Screenshot_20231016-182157.png

Caption: Photo showing the front view of a building with the word City Hall largely written at the top and flowers surrounding the hall. 

The Lagos City Mall is one of the oldest buildings around the Lagos Island. It used to me an event centre for government activates in the 70s and 80s. The entrance, driveway, paths and doors are accessible. There ramps and curbs which enables wheelchair users or persons with mobility challenge to move freely. Though built in the early 70s, surprisingly the accessibility features are far better than some modern buildings providing similar services.

Do you have any dedicated accessible information provider for your city? Please, share with us.

If you have a question, suggestion, or contribution, feel free to drop a comment below. You can read the last article and check the list of our other articles under "Accessibility Uncovered"

N.B

= All wheelchair Accessible        

= Mostly Accessible         

= Partly Accessible 

Lagos, Nigeria
3 comments
Level 10

Re: Accessible Tourism Information – Lagos

Great post @EmekaUlor . Even though I recall you have made a separate post on Lakowe Lakes resort, It is still valid to include in this list of accessible tourists attractions in Lagos. 

Landmark beach is also an accessible tourist location with a ️. Aside making the list classiest/finest beaches in Lagos it has accessible entrance, walkways and others  

Level 10

Dear friend CM @EmekaUlor  It’s is great post in deed. I appreciate your commitment to make a list of POI that are accessible. I am so happy to know that there are lot of important locations provided with accessibility. You said here, the old Lagos city mall  is also have accessibility. We must appreciate those engineers for their vision. Thank you once again for your efforts in sharing this post. I am tagging here our friend CM @Tushar_Suradkar  Accessibility Champion 

Signature Image
Connect Moderator

@MrFreez you are correct both Lakowe and Landmark should be on the list and many more places. This is just a guide. Thanks for sharing

@PrasadVR yes the engineers back in the 70s did a great job and the seem to have followed an international or standard building code. I appreciate your observations.