Erna_LaBeau's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Accessibility Uncovered ♿: Inclusive Schools in Michigan #Michigan

Erna_LaBeau_0-1630110426198.jpeg

Caption: Photo of a teacher and students with writing “Inclusive Education is a RIGHT not a privilege”, top (left) a girl in a wheelchair, top (right) a deaf boy and a blind boy.

As part of our advocacy, #OneAccessibility, we will share information about differently able and profile one location with accessible trails. Look out every week for this enlightening post.

Inclusive Education in Michigan is governed by the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS) State of Michigan and the U.S. Department of Education’s Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) states that children with disabilities whether in public or private school must be educated with children who are not disabled to the maximum extent appropriate so that they experience social outcomes and positive academics. 

In Inclusive Education, disabled children should participate in everyday activities, every child should be valued equally, and have the same opportunities to enjoy the experience at school. 

Advocacy, planning, and support can produce positive outcomes when disabled children are placed in a regular education environment. The only exception is if the nature of the child’s severity of the disability needs to use supplementary aids. When the need for a special tutor for disabled children, inclusion in education will happen.  Recognizing that inclusive services are individualized based on the child’s necessities.

Children that are educated in inclusive education together can be established by well preparing the families, staff, and administrators. There are many benefits for this inclusion for disabled students; to increase social relationships, increased achievement, and not to mention the involvement of parents and school staff. 

Inclusive classrooms can be classified as students with physical diversities, personal issues, cognitive impairments, social issues, intellectual deficits, and/or behavioral problems.

Let’s take a look at Penrickton Center for Blind Children, a private non-profit organization located in the same city where I live. The main goal of this organization is to provide care and support to multi-disabled children and their families especially blind children.

Through the years this facility has changed to serve the children in need in Metro Detroit Area and currently serving and treating blind children ranging age from age 1-12 years with at least one additional disability such as brain damage, cerebral palsy, deafness, seizures, and delay development. 

Penrickton Center for Blind Children is equipped with “Active Learning” equipment developed by Dr. Nelson. If you never heard about Dr. Nielsen, please check her biography [here]. Some of the Active Learning are HOPSA Dress, Support Bench, Resonance Board, ESSEF Board, and The Little Room.

Their program is very diverse from Day Care, Consultation, Community Education to Volunteering.

Curious about accessibility in Michigan, visit this website.

If you have a question, suggestion, or contribution, feel free to comment below. You can read last week's roundup article here and check the list of our other articles under "Accessibility Uncovered"

#LocalGuidesUSA ~ Accessibility Champion ~ Guiding Star 2021 

Taylor, MI, USA
4 comments
Level 9

Re: Accessibility Uncovered ♿: Inclusive Schools in Michigan #Michigan

Nice initiative indeed! thank you for sharing your accessibility uncovered in Michigan @Erna_LaBeau 

Level 9

Thanks for stopping and reading my post @AbdullahAM 

Level 10

Yes @Erna_LaBeau .

Same with @AbdullahAM , thank you for sharing about Accessibility in Michigan.

I will visit your web recomendation as above.

It is a good explanation about accesibility, it will rise my sensitivity when i do review on Google Maps.

Tag (@BudiFXW) in your post or comment, I will happily to connect with you.
Level 9

Thank you Pak @BudiFXW dah mempir dan baca post saya ya iya nih moga2 bisa influence Pak Budi mengenai accessibility