Peachy100's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

A Visit to the New Calabar River, Tributary to the Atlantic Ocean

The day started off after an extensive Google map viewing of the direction to the New Calabar River. This big river has 5 major sections which are situated at various communities in Obio-Akpor and Ikwerre LGA.

I told hubby we have to find a good route. I don't want to run into any unknown dead end😂. Google Map has become a good drive guide to unknown places in recent times. It's my go-to direction and location app, asides using it for my volunteering work as a Google Local Guide.

IMG_20220524_134038_531~2.jpg

 Man O'War Road, Aluu Community, Rivers State

His study needed some data for hydro work. Due to a barricade built around the river, we decided to go through the African Regional Aquaculture Center (ARAC) just close to the bank of the river.

From the map, we saw a 9-min drive from Rumuagholu to Aluu (the community where we can see a section of the river).

On getting to ARAC, we were able to get a Local guide who took us round the sections of the river:

We visited the larger reach of the river, and then two smaller ones.

IMG_20220524_130918_419~2.jpg

 A view of the sky at the bank of the river showing a big treat with branches and leaves

How amazing how the river is so peaceful and relaxing. The soothing breeze in the community, the greenish ambience of the vegetation, chirping birds and beautiful road network. This larger part has a good bank with an old marine store, perhaps used by the colonial leaders in the past. Here, it's brackish water with quite a depth. Activities carried out here are mainly fishing and transportation. The bank is littered with spots of oil spill. One of the cons of illegal oil bunkering and improper disposal of waste.

IMG_20220524_124429_593~2.jpg

 A beautiful view of the New Calabar River, Aluu Community, Ikwerre Local Government Area, Rivers State, Nigeria.

Moving forward into the village, we visited the smaller part of the river (I would say a tributary to the larger one). It's a freshwater river that's not as deep as the earlier one. It's used mainly for domestic uses, fishing, dredging and swimming activities. Quite a beautiful sight to behold! We enjoyed seeing the villagers dive from the hill into the lower water and submerge before floating a few minutes later. They were friendly, I must commend. Infact, people living in the riverine areas are great swimmers.

Villagers have clusters of houses around this side of the river. We saw average sized electric fishes swimming around the banks. Remember rivers both feed flora and fauna! At this part of the river, asides photos, I also took a 360° imagery I published on Google map; https://www.google.com/maps/@4.9224994,6.8965433,3a,75y,20h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAF1QipMgUKEnXtms...

IMG_20220524_131034_504~2.jpg

 A view of the freshwater brackish water.

Then, we moved to the center to see the flow pattern at this side of the river. It's quite beautiful overlooking the sandy hill and river. It's broader than the smaller one previously visited. Another good thing to note is that the water is brackish here and enters directly into the bigger one.

Lots of dredging activities are done here. Other usefulness of the river include fishing, swimming and transportation. This side of the river is quite vital for travellers to Isiokpo community. They board their jetties at the bank of this river and paddle across. It's quite shorter than following through the Emuoha-Isiokpo road route especially for traders that carry perishables such as fresh and roasted fishes into the urban areas. We saw a few women trekking to the bank that has jetties, however we didn't get to that bank. My baby was already tired so we didn't get to that side of that bank 😂 . Yesterday's sun was really scorching. God bless these local traders. See all they go through to ensure food security in the urban areas. A good bridge can solve transportation problems and ensure food availability and affordability in the City.

IMG_20220524_132026_062~2.jpg

 A view of the smaller brackish river.

IMG_20220524_124806_524~2.jpg

 My babe and I just standing close to the Marine Store at the bank of the river.

It was quite an interesting, educational and relaxing experience. The guide explained so many things about the river and how it enters into the lagoons and creeks of the Atlantic ocean. Also, cultural and economical heritage of the river, and the reasons for most of the barricade. 

Let's endeavour to keep our water bodies clean, they provide much more than we can tell. 

IMG_20220524_124437_024~2.jpg

 A view of the big part of the river that enters into the creeks and lagoons of the Atlantic ocean, Omuihuechi Aluu, Rivers State, Nigeria.

I'm sure I have penned a lot here, hope you find calmness just like the river while reading my exploration 😆. Next time you need to unwind, go swimming or sightseeing by a riverside.

Every picture has a story, I'm glad I shared something.

#myNewCalabarRivertour

#DiaryofaLocalGuide

#Photography

Aluu, Nigeria
6 comments
Level 6

A Visit to the New Calabar River, Tributary to the Atlantic Ocean

The day started off after an extensive Google map viewing of the direction to the New Calabar River. This big river has 5 major sections which are situated at various communities in Obio-Akpor and Ikwerre LGA.

I told hubby we have to find a good route. I don't want to run into any unknown dead end😂. Google Map has become a good drive guide to unknown places in recent times. It's my go-to direction and location app, asides using it for my volunteering work as a Google Local Guide.

IMG_20220524_134038_531~2.jpg

 Man O'War Road, Aluu Community, Rivers State

His study needed some data for hydro work. Due to a barricade built around the river, we decided to go through the African Regional Aquaculture Center (ARAC) just close to the bank of the river.

From the map, we saw a 9-min drive from Rumuagholu to Aluu (the community where we can see a section of the river).

On getting to ARAC, we were able to get a Local guide who took us round the sections of the river:

We visited the larger reach of the river, and then two smaller ones.

IMG_20220524_130918_419~2.jpg

 A view of the sky at the bank of the river showing a big treat with branches and leaves

How amazing how the river is so peaceful and relaxing. The soothing breeze in the community, the greenish ambience of the vegetation, chirping birds and beautiful road network. This larger part has a good bank with an old marine store, perhaps used by the colonial leaders in the past. Here, it's brackish water with quite a depth. Activities carried out here are mainly fishing and transportation. The bank is littered with spots of oil spill. One of the cons of illegal oil bunkering and improper disposal of waste.

IMG_20220524_124429_593~2.jpg

 A beautiful view of the New Calabar River, Aluu Community, Ikwerre Local Government Area, Rivers State, Nigeria.

Moving forward into the village, we visited the smaller part of the river (I would say a tributary to the larger one). It's a freshwater river that's not as deep as the earlier one. It's used mainly for domestic uses, fishing, dredging and swimming activities. Quite a beautiful sight to behold! We enjoyed seeing the villagers dive from the hill into the lower water and submerge before floating a few minutes later. They were friendly, I must commend. Infact, people living in the riverine areas are great swimmers.

Villagers have clusters of houses around this side of the river. We saw average sized electric fishes swimming around the banks. Remember rivers both feed flora and fauna! At this part of the river, asides photos, I also took a 360° imagery I published on Google map; https://www.google.com/maps/@4.9224994,6.8965433,3a,75y,20h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAF1QipMgUKEnXtms...

IMG_20220524_131034_504~2.jpg

 A view of the freshwater brackish water.

Then, we moved to the center to see the flow pattern at this side of the river. It's quite beautiful overlooking the sandy hill and river. It's broader than the smaller one previously visited. Another good thing to note is that the water is brackish here and enters directly into the bigger one.

Lots of dredging activities are done here. Other usefulness of the river include fishing, swimming and transportation. This side of the river is quite vital for travellers to Isiokpo community. They board their jetties at the bank of this river and paddle across. It's quite shorter than following through the Emuoha-Isiokpo road route especially for traders that carry perishables such as fresh and roasted fishes into the urban areas. We saw a few women trekking to the bank that has jetties, however we didn't get to that bank. My baby was already tired so we didn't get to that side of that bank 😂 . Yesterday's sun was really scorching. God bless these local traders. See all they go through to ensure food security in the urban areas. A good bridge can solve transportation problems and ensure food availability and affordability in the City.

IMG_20220524_132026_062~2.jpg

 A view of the smaller brackish river.

IMG_20220524_124806_524~2.jpg

 My babe and I just standing close to the Marine Store at the bank of the river.

It was quite an interesting, educational and relaxing experience. The guide explained so many things about the river and how it enters into the lagoons and creeks of the Atlantic ocean. Also, cultural and economical heritage of the river, and the reasons for most of the barricade. 

Let's endeavour to keep our water bodies clean, they provide much more than we can tell. 

IMG_20220524_124437_024~2.jpg

 A view of the big part of the river that enters into the creeks and lagoons of the Atlantic ocean, Omuihuechi Aluu, Rivers State, Nigeria.

I'm sure I have penned a lot here, hope you find calmness just like the river while reading my exploration 😆. Next time you need to unwind, go swimming or sightseeing by a riverside.

Every picture has a story, I'm glad I shared something.

#myNewCalabarRivertour

#DiaryofaLocalGuide

#Photography

Connect Moderator

Re: A Visit to the New Calabar River, Tributary to the Atlantic Ocean

Hey @Peachy100 

Wow ! I am very impressed with your post and also happy you are now active on connect. Welcome back ! Thank you for all the photos you shared and the travel story of the beautiful calm river. I can almost feel the peace of it from seeing the photos.

Travelling is a good thing especially if you are a local guide,it's even more interesting. Nice photo of you and your baby,

Am sure he was with us at the last meet-up we had in the University. Your hubby did quite well. Wish they could get points for helping a local guide(Lol)

Hope you added some photos and contributed to the maps on your travels? How about your 360° photos,have you done anymore since? Did you take a 360 photo of the calabar River View? Sorry for all the questions. Just curious.

Please keep active on connect. You can read posts and give comments etc. You will surely learn more about the maps.

I have virtual meet-up coming up soon !

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Level 3

Great Time @Peachy100.

Have a good day.

Mominul
Former Google Contributor

Hi @Peachy100,

Welcome to Connect!

I have just released your post from the Spam Filters. I would like to apologize for your post being marked as spam. Our filters run 24/7 and they can be a little harsh at times.

You can visit this article to learn more - Why was my Connect post marked as spam?.

I will also merge your other post here as, both are similar and we would like to keep Connect organized.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 6

Thanks a lot Sir for your great contributions on this post. I have been able to add 3 more 360° photos. Yes, they were all with me. I'm getting all the points on their behalf.

From the photos and information I got yesterday, I added some photos, made edits on location and shot 2 360° photos. I didn't get a panaroma for the bigger part of the river, I'll do that next time.

Yes Sir, I'll really try to stay connected right here. What I learnt at the last Meetup has helped me a lot. I have hit 2000 points, my target is additional 1000points before the end of May. Nevertheless, I'm glad that I'm helping myself and others on the map.

I look forward to the next Virtual Meetup Sir.
I appreciate all the questions 😊.

Have a nice day.

Level 6

Thanks so much @Mominul_Islam . I appreciate 😍 🇳🇬