AdamGT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: A Lisbon Street with a Story!

If you meant Ilica then having just seen it and some photos on Maps I can understand why you would say that @renata1 It certainly looks like a long street!

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Level 9

Beautiful story!

Adam, how do you learn all these when you travel?

Do you ask from Locals? If you do, do you speak several languages?

Or do you read up from a Website?

Lastly, how do you know November 1 is All Saints Day?

@AdamGT 

I have never witnessed an earthquake or being to a site where it has occurred. Do you think people ever think this earthquake will reoccur, Adam?

Level 9

@AdamGT great history post, I visit Lisbon 3 years ago and really love the place.

Connect Moderator

Beautiful story!

That's great that you enjoyed the story @Ewaade_3A, I'm really pleased.

Adam, how do you learn all these when you travel?

Well I subscribe to the theory/belief that "travel is the university of life".  You learn a lot from traveling to different countries, cities, villages and from meeting the local people and learning about their history and culture.

Do you ask from Locals? If you do, do you speak several languages?

Interesting question.  Unlike both my parents who spoke at least 5 or 6 languages fluently, my father in particular had a great command of languages, I only have one language in my arsenal and I have to admit here that I failed this language 3 successive years of university entrance exams 😞  but that's a story for another day 😉  Anyway, while of course it's much easer to learn from locals if you can speak their language, this isn't totally necessary.  Today of course, as a very good friend of mine taught me, "Google is your friend" and translators are excellent.

Or do you read up from a Website?

As I've confessed before on an earlier Connect post, sadly I'm not a good reader and have never been one.  Of course the places that I write about are places that I've actually visited and experienced and being a curious type of person I try to satisfy that curiosity by asking questions, taking lots of photos and talking with people first and then filling the gaps.  When I've traveled I have spent a lot of time with local people.  I have to say that I've improved a lot since becoming a Local Guide as I've noticed I now pay a lot more attention to detail.  When I see something that grabs my attention I go the extra mile to find out more about it. I ask questions. Why? When? How? What? Who? and so on. 

Lastly, how do you know November 1 is All Saints Day?

Easy. I'm a Christian 😉

I have never witnessed an earthquake or being to a site where it has occurred. Do you think people ever think this earthquake will reoccur, Adam?

Hang on, you said that your previous question was going to be your last one 😞  OK this is Ewaade be flexible Adam 😉  Some background....I was on Mount Maunganui when the nearby White Island volcano erupted in New Zealand on December 2019. I got caught up in hurricane weather when once (2015?) I was in North Carolina.  I was in the Himalaya when there was an earthquake in Pakistan or maybe it was China!  However, I myself have never witnessed an earthquake 🙂 

So now back to your "last" question....well while I'm no seismologist, I think it's rare that an earthquake happens at the same place but then again given that they occur when the earth's tectonic plates along the seismic fault lines move against each other, I guess they can.  Hmmm, I think California has had a few (1857, 1906, 1957, 1989, 2004) along the San Andreas Fault that runs through that state 😞

Connect Moderator

It's one of those cities @Niv1234, just so beautiful, so full of history, so much to see, do and learn.  What did you enjoy most about your visit there? 

Level 6

Amazing,Congratulations!

Level 9

@AdamGT I really like the atmosphere and the local people, they was so nice and friendly and of course the food was very tasty.
I also visit outside Lisbon. the beautiful village Óbidos and the stunning Douro Valley.

Level 9

😀🤣🤣😀😀😀😀

Ah! You won't  even allow me finish reading this story in peace before making me burst into laughter! How did you fail the exams thrice, Adam?! 

You have to tell me, I won't  tease you, I promise.

Also, you need to teach me this style you adopted in responding.  I like it. @AdamGT 

Now, let me go continue from where I stopped.

My goodness! Adam you are an Orthodox Christian? 😱 or maybe a Catholic? Because you gave yourself away by adding the Holy day the only thing missing is; "of obligation".

Awww, Happy Easter, Adam. I wish I knew on Sunday, would have come to eat Easter rice in your house.

Off to continue reading.

Finally, I read to the end 🤣🤣🤣

What do you want to do about me? Nothing 🤣 I am your cross for life, deal with it, Adam! 🤣🤣

You know I only went back and read "Lastly". It was my last question before I thought; "an earthquake occurred here and people rebuilt and began living there? What if it occurs again?"

Then, I thought 🤔 "why not ask Adam?, Adam will know!"

You did not disappoint me 🥳💃💃 

A very big hug for you, Adam. Thanks for always satisfying my curiosity and thanks for not throwing me away after so long of troubling you. 😝 I don't  promise to stop, though.

Thanks for the Lecture, dear Prof. I don't  think it will be fair of you to know more than one language, you already know too much already 😏🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️

Shout out to your Dad! @AdamGT 

Connect Moderator

Ah! You won't  even allow me finish reading this story in peace before making me burst into laughter! How did you fail the exams thrice, Adam?! 

You have to tell me, I won't  tease you, I promise.

Ah I did say that's a story for another day but have no fear as I know that day is fast approaching here on Connect and when it does I just know that you will understand why I have reserved this for that day 😉

Also, you need to teach me this style you adopted in responding.  I like it. @AdamGT 

I wish it was easier or more straightforward to do Ewaade but unfortunately it's not.  It's a bit tricky.  On some forums it's a standard optional feature but here on Connect I cannot see it.  Without this feature, in order to do it here on Connect I use the HTML blockquote tag.  You can read about this here.

Now, let me go continue from where I stopped.

My goodness! Adam you are an Orthodox Christian? 

or maybe a Catholic? Because you gave yourself away by adding the Holy day the only thing missing is; "of obligation"

While I have said that I'm not a reader, I read a book once and learnt a great lesson. I will write a post about this but for now part of that lesson was to never make assumptions!

Awww, Happy Easter, Adam. I wish I knew on Sunday, would have come to eat Easter rice in your house.

Thank you and wishing you a belated Happy Easter too.

Off to continue reading.

Finally, I read to the end

What do you want to do about me? Nothing 

I am your cross for life, deal with it, Adam!

No problems at all. After all this is an engaging discussion about the Lisbon street with a story 😉

You know I only went back and read "Lastly". It was my last question before I thought; "an earthquake occurred here and people rebuilt and began living there? What if it occurs again?"

Then, I thought 

"why not ask Adam?, Adam will know!"

You did not disappoint me

A very big hug for you, Adam. Thanks for always satisfying my curiosity and thanks for not throwing me away after so long of troubling you. 

I don't  promise to stop, though.

I'm glad I didn't disappoint but remember my answer based on what I know and there may be a better answer.

Thanks for the Lecture, dear Prof. I don't  think it will be fair of you to know more than one language, you already know too much already 

Shout out to your Dad! @AdamGT

Yes a brilliant master of languages and to think I am a great disappointment to him in that regard 😞

Connect Moderator

So true @Niv1234, lovely people and great food.  Did you visit the castle in Óbidos?  You went to places that I didn't visit.  I started in Porto and worked my way down to Lisbon and then headed south towards Faro. I loved every minute and have many amazing memories and stories about my time in Portugal.