cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: 5 things to do in Finland during Christmas

What an excellent post and perfect photos @DanniS

Thank you so much .

Looking through the photos I would like to visit Finland.,where I have never been.

I know that Lapland is a native village of Santa Claus .,it is great to ride a sledge with deer.

What wonderful winter in Finland with a lot of snow ,frost and of course we all Russians love---Finnish sauna.

In Russsia we have also old national tradition to celebrate Christmas.

We celebrate from 6 to 7 January.

In the evening all family sit at the table.It is tradition to have 12 dishes on the Christmas.

On the 7 January children like to go skating, skiing and riding on sledge with horses.Father Frost and Snegurochka give the children sweet presents.

I write the post about old Russian tradition to celebrare Christmas.

Level 9

Favourite post @DanniS nice pictures thank you for sharing with us...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dot.: 5 things to do in Finland during Christmas

Witaj @DanniS dziękuję za wspaniały post. Z przyjemnością się go czyta.Czy zawsze macie gwarantowany śnieg na Boże Narodzenie? Bo my nie...

Polskie Boże Narodzenie wygląda tak: Zaczynamy je 24.12. kolacją, która nazywa się Wigilia.To bardzo ważny posiłek, gdzie do stołu powinna zasiąść cała rodzina i stawia się dodatkowe nakrycie dla "zbłąkanego wędrowca", czyli osoby, która nie zdążyła dotrzeć do swego domu na Wigilię i może zapukać do naszych drzwi prosząc o gościnę.Wigilia zawsze zaczyna się z chwilą pojawienia się pierwszej gwiazdy na niebie.Na stole jest 12 potraw, wszystkie są postne, czyli bez mięsa. Zanim zaczniemy jeść, dzielimy się opłatkiem. Opłatek symbolizuje ciało Chrystusa.Składamy sobie życzenia wszelkiej pomyślności na przyszły rok .Na stole stoją: Barszcz z uszkami, pierogi z kapustą i grzybami, ryby pod różną postacią, kluski z makiem i wiele innych pysznych dań.(12).Kolacja przeciąga się do późnych godzin nocnych, otwieramy prezenty, które leżały pod choinką,śpiewamy kolędy, czyli bożonarodzeniowe piosenki o narodzeniu Chrystusa. Wigilię kończymy wizytą w kościele na mszy, która zaczyna się o północy, a nazywa się Pasterka.Tyle tradycja i wiecie, co roku tak jest.:)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Witaj @MoniDi przed tobą cudowne święta! Kiedyś, będąc w Bułgarii smakowałam Rakija, więc znam jedno bożonarodzeniowe danie z Bułgarii 😀 Pozdrawiam

Level 10

Rif.: 5 things to do in Finland during Christmas

Salve. Bellissimo! Complimenti e grazie per le foto ed il servizio. Buona serata.

Google Moderator

Hi @Anonymous, the rakia is very strong, not all people like it at first but I am glad that you enjoyed it.

What did you like the most in Bulgaria? Where did you go and what did you see?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

Thanks a lot @helga19! 🙂

I'm looking forward to see and hear more about Russian type of Christmas. It's quite different from Finnish I believe. 

Definitely, if you're planning a trip to Finland, Lapland is a must-see place. It's absolutely beautiful there and very exciting! 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Thanks @NirmalTeja, happy you like it! Maybe you could also share some information and photos on how you celebrate Christmas or maybe other kind of holidays? 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Dot.: 5 things to do in Finland during Christmas

I like the 'lost wanderer' idea @Anonymous from your Christmas, really warm and welcoming! I've never experienced a Polish Christmas, but we have the carol singing in common.

In addition, another tradition is going to graveyards on Christmas Eve to light candles for the deceased. It might sound like a strange activity, but seeing hundreds of candles being lit is quite uplifting.  

Caption: Candles being lit on Christmas eve at graveyards, Espoo, Finland. (Local Guide MrUkko.)Caption: Candles being lit on Christmas eve at graveyards, Espoo, Finland. (Local Guide MrUkko.)

Google Vendor

Now I want to buy a plane ticket to fly to Finland! I loved reading your post @DanniS. Thank you for sharing it. Do you know how to prepare glögi? I want to try Joulutorttu, they look so delicious. During Christmas we usually prepare Torte Boshe which means Empty Cake, and Bakllava. 

I am sharing with you pictures of Christmas market in Tirana:

Caption: Christmas decorations in the Christmas market, Tirana, Albania (Local Guide  @Giti Kolasi)Caption: Christmas decorations in the Christmas market, Tirana, Albania (Local Guide @Giti Kolasi)Caption: Christmas tree in the main square, Tirana, Albania (Local Guide @Giti Kolasi)Caption: Christmas tree in the main square, Tirana, Albania (Local Guide @Giti Kolasi)Caption: Santa Claus's sleigh at the Christmas market,Tirana, Albania (Local Guide  @Giti Kolasi)Caption: Santa Claus's sleigh at the Christmas market,Tirana, Albania (Local Guide @Giti Kolasi)