DanniS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

5 things to do in Finland during Christmas

Christmas is my favorite holiday of the year, and Christmas in Finland is a unique and special event I hope everyone can experience at least once in their lives. I’ve spent most of my lifeand most of my Christmasesin this Scandinavian country, and I was brought up in its culture.

If you ever get the chance to visit, here are my top five places and things to enjoy during the winter holiday season in Finland.

1. Helsinki

Caption: A photo of the Senate Square in Helsinki, with a tall Christmas tree covered in lights, and many colorful stalls, built for the Christmas market. Everything is covered in snow, and there are lights hanging over the stalls. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of the Senate Square in Helsinki, with a tall Christmas tree covered in lights, and many colorful stalls, built for the Christmas market. Everything is covered in snow, and there are lights hanging over the stalls. (Getty Images)

Christmas lights, decorations, events, and markets are all around Helsinki in December, making it the liveliest time of the year for both its citizens and visitors. Our biggest Christmas market is full of treats, drinks, and many shops and restaurants, which can be found on Senate Square, right in front of the beautiful Helsinki Cathedral.

2. Glögi (mulled wine)

Caption: A photo of a tin pot with mulled red wine, a cinnamon stick, and two star-shaped spices on a tray. Artistically arranged around it are a towel, a green fir tree branch, a Christmas toy, two water glasses, two cinnamon sticks, and a tile with the word “hot” written on it. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a tin pot with mulled red wine, a cinnamon stick, and two star-shaped spices on a tray. Artistically arranged around it are a towel, a green fir tree branch, a Christmas toy, two water glasses, two cinnamon sticks, and a tile with the word “hot” written on it. (Getty Images)

My favorite drink during winter is definitely glögi. There are several different types of glögi, such as non-alcoholic, mild and strong variants. The most common spices used in the Finnish mulled wine are cloves, cinnamon, and ginger. Glögi is usually served with some gingerbread cookies or with blueberry pie.

As this is one of Finns’ most loved beverages, you can easily find it at every Christmas market and bar in Helsinki. One of my favorite places to get it is at Zetor. This is a unique Finnish restaurant and bar, with traditional food and drinks. I encourage you to check it out, as it’s known as the “Tractor Bar.”

It’s the perfect place to go in case you’re feeling a little bit cold, just pop in for a cup of mulled wine— the best way to warm up. It’s even become a tradition to go out and have glögi after work or after some winter sport activities.

3. Joulutorttu (Christmas pastry)

Caption: A photo of a metal tray with five star-shaped “joulutorttu” puff pastries with jam in the center on a white marble countertop. There’s a white and red towel next to the tray. (Getty images)Caption: A photo of a metal tray with five star-shaped “joulutorttu” puff pastries with jam in the center on a white marble countertop. There’s a white and red towel next to the tray. (Getty images)

To me, joulutorttu is one of the most delicious traditional Finnish Christmas pastries, made from puff pastry and prune jam. We make them in the shape of a star, and put the jam in the center. The word “joulutorttu” means “Christmas tart,” as these pastries have been part of the Christmas experience in Finland for decades.

If you visit the country during the holiday period, you will surely find joulutorttu in almost every cafe in town. I recommend you to go to Cafe Regatta, which has an authentic look and differs from other cafes in Helsinki. Its location by the sea and great Christmas atmosphere make it one of the best places to enjoy a cup of mulled wine and pastries.

4. Santa Claus Village, Lapland

Caption: A photo of two reindeers with colorful harnesses and a sled near a fence in a clearing among snow covered trees. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of two reindeers with colorful harnesses and a sled near a fence in a clearing among snow covered trees. (Getty Images)

If you visit during Christmastime, you won’t want to miss a trip to Lapland and our very own Santa Claus Village. Here you can take a picture in front of the famous sign of the Arctic Circle, which tells you that you are now officially on the North Pole. Make sure to also stop by Santa’s Post Office, where children and adults can send their letters to Santa Claus. Come during office hours, and you might have the chance to meet Santa himself!

Another popular attraction to try in the village are reindeer and husky sled rides. Looking at the snow white scenery while enjoying the ride is one of the most unique experiences.

Last but not least, if you’re lucky, you might even see the northern lights here, as they are very likely to appear during winter.

5. Finnish sauna

Caption: A photo of a wooden bench inside a sauna, with a birch branch with leaves and an empty bucket with a ladle inside of it. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a wooden bench inside a sauna, with a birch branch with leaves and an empty bucket with a ladle inside of it. (Getty Images)

The Finnish Christmas experience is not complete without enjoying a traditional sauna, which is a substantial part of the culture. We love our saunas so much that we have over 3.5 million saunas in Finland, even in our apartments.

The sauna experience begins with warming yourself up in an about 80-90 degrees Celsius hot sauna cabin, occasionally beating yourself with birch branches with leaves to relax your muscles. When it gets too hot, it’s time to roll in the snow or dip into the icy lake outside to cool down, and enjoy a cold beer on the porch. Once you’ve refreshed, you get back inside the sauna and the cycle begins again.

I recommend you try Löyly, voted as one of the top public saunas in Helsinki for 2018. It’s located by the sea, and there is a restaurant as well. The sauna offers a direct path to the outdoor seating area and the possibility to have a swim.

What is Christmas like in your country? Share your photos and experiences in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

119 comments
Level 8

Re: 5 things to do in Finland during Christmas

Hey @DanniS

Thank you for sharing with us 🙂 Superb all photos,

Thanks a lot @rajuroyal 🙂 I'm glad you enjoy it! 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Hey @DanniS

Welcome

Yes realy enjoy and planning to visit city 🙂

Level 1

Thank you for sharing! The article for Christmas are always great to read.

Google Moderator

What a lovely post, @DanniS. It definitely got me in the Christmas spirit!

Helsinki looks like a city I want to visit in the near future. Any advice will be much appreciated.

When it comes to the winter holidays, I love all Christmas lights and every decorated house down the road. How festive!

In my country we tend to drink mulled rakia (греяна ракия), also knows as "the brandy of the Balkans". The alcohol content is around 40% but the home-produced rakia can be stronger. 

Our typical dinner consists of potato salad, cooked pork meat, sour cabbage with red pepper, Christmas bread and of course my favourite part - a dessert. We usually have baklava or а pumpkin pastry with raisins and walnuts. I love my grandmother's homemade baklava. Her cooking makes me love Christmas even more. 🙂

Here is a photo of this delicious pastry but it is not my grandmother's creation. 

Caption: A photo of five pieces of baklava on a plate (Local Guide Spatedn Kumar)Caption: A photo of five pieces of baklava on a plate (Local Guide Spatedn Kumar)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Thanks a lot @MoniDi! 🙂 That dessert looks pretty tasty!

I'm sure you will like Finland during Christmas. It's very lit and decorative as you say and quite lively. I think the experience is very different from other European countries. 

I've tried some of the Bulgarian Christmas dishes, especially the sour cabbage, I enjoy it. 

We eat a lot of casseroles during this season and make gingerbread houses, which is also a tradition. I like the holiday season, because it brings the family together. 

Thank you for sharing this great post @DanniS!

The Finish sauna is one of those things I must try one day. The mulled wine is a huge part of the Danish Christmas as well, but aside from that our countries have less in common that I thought. 

Together with the mulled wine (glögg in Danish) we eat the little round pastries called Æbleskiver. It roughly translates into apple slices even though it no longer contains even the slightest hint of apple. 

It is a traditional pancake batter made in a special cast iron, which turns them into small spherical pancakes, and we serve them with jam and powdered sugar. Delicious!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Thanks @MortenSI

It's true! We are so different, only the mulled wine connects us 🙂 

Your apple pastries sound really delicious, so I guess I have to go to Denmark to try them! What other Christmas traditions do you have? 

Yeah the sauna is an experience for sure, especially with the snow. It's pretty refreshing actually with cold beer or cider. We're quite keen on ciders 🙂 

You will not regret it @DanniS!

Well, for the Christmas dinner we eat roasted duck and pork belly with potatoes and gravy. For desert we have a rice pudding with chopped almonds and warm cherry sauce. among the chopped almonds there is 1 whole almond and the person who gets it wins the special almond present.

We finish the evening by dancing around the tree and opening presents.