cbos-NYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

5 helpful photo tips from Connect Live Hyderabad

Food explorers, Neidhi and Ashis (@fooddrifter), are living out their passions: eating, traveling, and taking photos to share with the world. They chronicle their global journey to find unique cuisines and exotic locales in their blog

We were lucky to have this duo join us for Connect Live Hyderabad where they shared some great photo tips. 

1. Focus: Your camera’s auto focus doesn’t always focus exactly where you may want it to. It’s always good to manually focus before snapping your photo. 

Side-by-side photos of a table setting. The left photo shows a blurry cup of coffee in the foreground. The right photo shows the cup of coffee and a plate of food in focus. (Courtesy of Food Drifter)Side-by-side photos of a table setting. The left photo shows a blurry cup of coffee in the foreground. The right photo shows the cup of coffee and a plate of food in focus. (Courtesy of Food Drifter)

2. Natural Lighting: Work with natural light wherever possible. Do a quick check for shadows before you click.

Side-by-side photos of a chocolate dessert. The left photo shows the dessert plate under a shadow. The right photo shows the dessert on a well-lit plate. (Courtesy of Food Drifter)Side-by-side photos of a chocolate dessert. The left photo shows the dessert plate under a shadow. The right photo shows the dessert on a well-lit plate. (Courtesy of Food Drifter)
3. Composition: Apply the rule of thirds, which says to imagine your photo frame divided into thirds both vertically and horizontally. Place the focus of your photo at the intersection of these lines to maximize the impact. Look for ways to incorporate symmetry, texture, color, and angles.

Side-by-side photos of a breakfast plate with eggs, toast, and a green salad. The left photo shows all the plate elements. The right photo shows the egg aligned using the rule of thirds. (Courtesy of Food Drifter)Side-by-side photos of a breakfast plate with eggs, toast, and a green salad. The left photo shows all the plate elements. The right photo shows the egg aligned using the rule of thirds. (Courtesy of Food Drifter)
4. Plating and props: The right plating and props around the subject make it so much better. Don’t be afraid to include the utensils, serving dishes, and decor to show off the atmosphere in addition to the food. 

Side-by-side photos. The left photo shows Ashis standing over the table taking an aerial shot of the presentation. The right photo shows a close-up photos of dumplings in a bowl, surrounded by a plate of dough and roller. (Courtesy of Food Drifter)Side-by-side photos. The left photo shows Ashis standing over the table taking an aerial shot of the presentation. The right photo shows a close-up photos of dumplings in a bowl, surrounded by a plate of dough and roller. (Courtesy of Food Drifter)
5. Editing: Editing your photos doesn’t have to be a time-consuming process. Use Google Photos or other third party apps to make simple edits on your smartphone with one click of a button.

Side-by-side photos of a piece of corn on a grill cooking in flames. The left photo is dark whereas the right photo has brighter coloring. (Courtesy of Food Drifter)Side-by-side photos of a piece of corn on a grill cooking in flames. The left photo is dark whereas the right photo has brighter coloring. (Courtesy of Food Drifter)

26 comments
Level 9

Re: 5 helpful photo tips from Connect Live Hyderabad

Level 10

These tips are actually helping me alot,my pictures are turning to be more good now 

. thanks @cbos-NYC  for sharing those tips here .Garlic Chicken NoodlesGarlic Chicken Noodles

Level 8

Hi 

I think this program happened in google seminar 

It was nice presentation 

Great to see them 

Level 6

Thank you @cbos-NYC  for sharing this. 

Level 7

Nice tips, this will improve the photo quality

Level 9

Thank you @cbos-NYC  for helpful tips most useful for us...Fried rice and Manchuria...Fried rice and Manchuria...

Moglai BiryaniMoglai Biryani

Chicken joint Biryani...Chicken joint Biryani...

Level 8

Hi @cbos-NYC ,

Thank you for sharing photo tips by @fooddrifter... They are good ones and I personally use Tip 1,2 & 5 quite often but now will focus on the rest two as well... This will definitely help me in clicking great pictures... 

Level 8

@cbos-NYC Thank you for sharing these tips with us. I'll apply them to my food photos next time.

Level 8

Thanks for sharing these tips @cbos-NYC from @fooddrifter. Amazing how small changes like focus, shadows and the rule of thirds can make such a big difference. I will be sure to keep these in mind next time I am snapping some pics. Thanks!