ShineRaj's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

100GB Google Drive is expiring

When the Local Guides program started members were given unlimited drive space.
Very soon it became 1TB forever. Then came the wicked expiry date.

Free Drive space quickly shrunk to 100GB for 2 years.

And now Zero benefits, even if you are the top contributor of a location.

The Fact is when anyone is given something, most of us get used to it and it becomes a habit.

The 100GB given to me expires in Dec(...tik... tok... tik... tok...).
I have used up over 50GB of my Google space, for mail, photos and drive.
So when the 100GB is taken back (Google pls remember your credo... Don't Be Evil)
I will not get any new mail. I have already deleted unimportant emails with heavy attachments.
I wish Google had the option to delete just the attachment from a mail and keep the email body text, like in Outlook. 

Cant upload and share files in GDrive.
Cant store hires photos and videos that my Android clicks.

Cant efficiently update google maps with images.

It's going to be very irritating to see warning popup on all my daily usage apps like Gmail and Drive, Docs and Photos

If u spoil us with 100GB at least let it stay, I remember when Gmail started the space was always growing, but for the first time I will see my space shrink to a point that it will make life difficult.

Pls, do something urgently. Thanks in Advance.

2 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: 100GB Google Drive is expiring

Hi @ShineRaj I too lost storage and I understand why you feel the way you do, however there are some incorrect statements in your message. There was never a free unlimited storage. Nor was the 1TB free forever, it was for one year. The 100GB was the same. As the Local Guides program grew it simply became unfeasible to continue the drive space perk. It would cost literally billions to pay for all that storage.

There are options for your photos - you can select "hires" instead of original size and then those images are stored without becoming part of your quota.

For your email you can always buy some more storage or move the contents of the attachments into a cheap storage tier.

Regards Paul

Level 10

Re: 100GB Google Drive is expiring

Yeah, my 1TB LG promotion is ending in a few weeks, too. Too bad, of course. I got it for two years as far as I remember - maybe not... - although haven't used up much of it. 

promotion-ending.png