Bruce_Ferjulian's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Why "Your session has expired. Sign in again"?

Tried to start using "Local Guides Connect" more frequently and noticed no matter which platform you login from, there is an inactivity timer forcing you to login again. 

For a website that contains no "FINANCIAL INFORMATION",  no "HEALTH RECORDS" or any such sensitive information it questions why log out users and not give them a check box for "STAY LOGGED IN". Can one of the moderators ask the group that maintains this site to change this behavior unless there is a super great reason other than annoy end users. Whatever the stated reason is, could it be posted here?

Screenshot_20180628-205046.png 

4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Why "Your session has expired. Sign in again"?

Hi @Bruce_Ferjulian this is deliberate to maintain your privacy and security. Assuming you're signed into the Googlverse (e.g. inbox, gmail, g+, youtube, etc) within your browser, all you have to do is click on the Avatar on the top right of the page and your browser will get a new token. You don't need to do anything further. 

I'll move this to the feedback board.

Regards Paul

Level 8

I don't accept the answer..

"Assuming you're signed into the Googlverse (e.g. inbox, gmail, g+, youtube, etc) within your browser,"

Then why if I am signed into (e.g. inbox, gmail, g+, youtube, etc) I only have to sign in ONCE, and stay signed in until I explicitly sign out. If you are trying to stay consistent with the "Googlverse" then it's failing. What sensitive information? This concept of "Local Guides Connect" is to share %100, there is no data you can place on this site that can be made private with the exception of a moderator removing a post.

The one and only reason that I can understand, but still not accept, is that this behavior gives the management of this website more visibility of active users at the expense of good will.

Connect Moderator

Hi @Bruce_Ferjulian that is fine if you don't accept the answer.

Connect is not hosted on a Google platform, it is hosted on a 3rd party platform called Lithium. It is using your Google Identity to access your account, account information and your contributions in Maps. Personally I'm happy that Lithium is keeping that connection secure by limiting the length of the session both because of the information I choose to keep in drive and because of my standing here. You can read more about Google Identity Platform here https://developers.google.com/identity/

Regardless of the why it is the way it is. I moved your request to the feedback board. All feedback is considered so thank you.

Regards Paul

Level 8

Let me stick with the best reason for change, which is, even though this website looks like a GOOGLE website, it does not behave like all the other GOOGLE offerings and I am asking that it be brought in line with the GOOGLE experience.

Since you are more receptive to fixing the end-user than fixing the inconsistency ( bug ), I'll just leave and stick with straight up MAPS.

Bye.