aashishvanand's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Spam of renaming popular places to "Packers And Moϋers Chennai"

Dear @LucioV, hope all's well. Started following the spam trail in Chennai, after a few hours already leads to Bangalore. We'll follow wherever it goes. Looking forward to getting stuck into it again tomorrow. Kind regards from Osaka78

@LucioV wrote:

Ok! Which area are you focusing?

Level 10

@Osaka78forTRUMP, my only concern is that I do not know, by experience, if the mere existence of the POI is spam or not (i.e. it does or does not exist). 

I know for sure that the address line is spammy - but that is not enough for  removal (just an edit to correct the address field). In the good, old Mapmaker times, we could always add a reason (e.g. "spam") for such edits, too. Currently we cannot.

In this case, in the lack of a definite and certain knowlede, my edit (removal request) would be nearly as spammy. 

Sure if I see such spam in my neighbourhood, I will not hesitate.

Level 10

Yes, @Csaba, you're right, we can only suggest edits based on Maps guidelines. We believe spam is spam. When we see spam we report it. Reporting a place as spam doesn't mean it always gets removed, we just report the spam and let Google decide what to do with it. Very simple. Kind regards from Osaka78 

@Csaba wrote:

@Osaka78forTRUMP, my only concern is that I do not know, by experience, if the mere existence of the POI is spam or not (i.e. it does or does not exist). 

I know for sure that the address line is spammy - but that is not enough for  removal (just an edit to correct the address field). In the good, old Mapmaker times, we could always add a reason (e.g. "spam") for such edits, too. Currently we cannot.

In this case, in the lack of a definite and certain knowlede, my edit (removal request) would be nearly as spammy. 

Level 10

Level 10

@LucioV  wrote

In the middle of the Indian Ocean, removed as spam a Packers and Movers 🙂

Now that's obvious and should go without saying (and despite any claims for "personal experience"). 

😉

Level 10

@Osaka78forTRUMP

Today I have submitted 7 spam reports against 'Packers' places in Kolkata and reported 7 spam LG profiles through LG private mail.

Level 10

Very nice, @DibyayanC. Good to see you joining in. Keep us updated on your progress, it's very inspiring to us. Kind regards from Osaka78

@DibyayanC wrote:

@Osaka78forTRUMP

Today I have submitted 7 spam reports against 'Packers' places in Kolkata and reported 7 spam LG profiles through LG private mail.

Googler

@Csaba wrote:

Hi @Csaba,

In case you see such flagrant cases of spam , please don't hesitate to report it using the instructions given in this post . The team will review it and take action accordingly (That is reverting the edits to a correct state or removing the POI if it's deemed spammy ) . In case that you have the knowledge of a particular POI that has been hijacked , please use the suggest an edit feature to give the correct information so that it's reflected on Maps. 

Thank you for your contributions  and Merry Christmas.

PS: Keep up the good work you all 🙂

Regards

Level 10

Dear @Csaba and @Rodrigo_P, hope all's well. Welcome and thank you for joining in the conversation, Rodrigo_P, it's good to see you affirming @aashishvanand's initiative to help report packer spam. Just in case the shared link is missing for you as well, we believe the instructions mentioned are here: How to identify and report spam on Google Maps. Merry Christmas and kind regards from Osaka78

@Rodrigo_P wrote:

@Csaba wrote:

Hi @Csaba,

In case you see such flagrant cases of spam , please don't hesitate to report it using the instructions given in this post . The team will review it and take action accordingly (That is reverting the edits to a correct state or removing the POI if it's deemed spammy ) . In case that you have the knowledge of a particular POI that has been hijacked , please use the suggest an edit feature to give the correct information so that it's reflected on Maps. 

Thank you for your contributions  and Merry Christmas.

PS: Keep up the good work you all 🙂

Regards

Level 10

Progress: Followed the trail of 51 spam profiles, reported 68 spam places, found 379 spam profiles. Time = about 13 hrs over multiple days. Very happy to see multiple Local Guides joining in the hunt, as well as encouragement from Connect Moderators and Googlers. Looking forward to hearing all your stories. Kind regards from Osaka78