IvanLondon's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Multiple categories for the same place

Hey guys, 

I've just added a missing place and found out that it has 3 categories: Taylor, Dry cleaner and Key Cutter

So I thought that it would be nice to be able to add several categories to places.

Is this something you've come across too?

IMG_2231.JPG

Thanks,

IL (I Local Guide)

12 comments
Level 10

Re: Multiple categories for the same place

Yes, you can do, using Google Map Maker and editing details of the place.

The business owner could do, also, if claimed through MyBusiness.

If in your country the Google Map Maker is opened, you can do changes of roads on Google Maps in Google Map Maker service.

Please read about Map Maker editing in Help Center:
https://support.google.com/mapmaker#topic=3180752
Here is Map Maker Official Product Forum:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/map-maker

Level 7

@LucioV Thanks man! I haven't used Map Maker yet and of course I'd be happy to give it a go. I'm just thinking it would be cool to enable new relevant functionality (like multiple categories) within Google Maps themselves to keep it simple and accessible for everyone (whereas maybe Map Maker remains to be a special tool for more complex edits).

What do you think, you seem to have expertise in both?

Level 10

Sure! This could be an easy and useful upgrade in Maps. Maybe @TraciC@Corrie could forward this suggestion to the dev team.

Googler

Hi @IvanLondonThanks for sharing the feedback which we'll pass along to the Google Maps team. I also recommend sharing Google Maps feedback directly in the app or on desktop, too. 🙂 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 7

@TraciC Thanks TraciC! I've been using the direct feedback functionality as well. I just wish there was a way to upload pictures within the direct feedback, as many times a picture helps to explain an idea much better than only words themselves. Plus it's a very one-way communication with the direct feedback, whereas here we can bounce our ideas off the community and we have you guys, Google Moderators too.

Googler

@IvanLondon Absolutely and that's what Connect is for! The more people that can weigh in on feedback, the better. Our approach is to encourage feedback in the app while also collecting it here (with the supporting info and multiple requests) to help share with the team. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 7

@TraciC Thanks TraciC, sounds great!

@Corrie hi CorrieD, maybe we could include a paragraph in your post 'Please read before posting', advising the community that feedback and new features requests are better to be put both on LG Connect (to get an opinion from other LGs and upload an image if needed) and also via direct feedback functionality within Google Maps App or desktop?

IMG_2247.PNG

Former Google Contributor

Great idea @IvanLondon. I'll add that info now. 

Level 7

@Corrie Thanks 🙂