JohnnyE's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Issue with editing Maps

Hello,

Since this is a feedback I am posting it here, if it's belongs to General Discussion please move it there. Here is the problem. Across my street is one tobacco shop and current working hours on Maps showing that this tobacco works from 7am to 11pm from Mon-Sat but that's not true. Correct working hours are from 7am to 2pm from Mon-Fri and from 8am to 12:30pm on Sat. I tried to edit it multiple times to show correct working hours but it wasn't applied. Also street address of this tobacco is completely wrong. There doesn't even exist street address with that number.

I am wondering why there is a saying: Local Guides know local places like no other when we cannot correct misinformation. And this is the only one case in many edit issues I encountered so far. Who is reviewing this information and why it's not verified before making decision to approve or deny edit. I can also take a photo of working hours from the very same tobacco to prove that I am right but Google Maps keep denying my edit request.

Tagging @Yohanad and @VicL1 in hope that you may be able to clarify this for me. Local Guides should be trusted while editing places because we live near that place and visiting it regularly but obviously someone is preventing us to do so. For sure I will not make wrong edits and if there is a note section I would be more than happy to provide proof showing that my edit is correct. Thanks for your time.

Best,

Johnny..

23 comments
Level 7

Re: Issue with editing Maps

Is there a link titled "Claim this business" on the details panel for this business?  If this is not there, then the business is claimed by its owner in the Google My Business program

Level 8

Hi @JohnnyE,

Please include the direct link of the shop, so that we can open to see the details.

We also need to know if the edit is pending, immediately rejected, or pending then rejected.

Level 9

Hi @YK1001, here is direct link. Edit was pending then not applied/rejected, multiple times. As I said this is only one example of edit issues I am experiencing. There is so much more. For example our government changed Maršal Tito Square name to Square Republike Hrvatske, (zoom in and you'll see that the street is still named trg maršala tita even though it was changed months ago) so I went ahead and edited local places around (i.e. Hemingway Lounge bar) to apply new square name but it was pending and then rejected. On Maps new name has been applied but it won't accept place address edits.

Level 9

@sputnikjim wrote:

Is there a link titled "Claim this business" on the details panel for this business?  If this is not there, then the business is claimed by its owner in the Google My Business progress.

@sputnikjim this issue has nothing to do with Google My Business since many businesses around are not claimed. Even if they are, business owners are aware that the square name has been changed and they should update their business address.

Level 8

When I open the link, it is asking to confirm if the Hours edit is correct or not.

When enough response is received, it will help Maps to make a correct decision.

As of today, Map edits got Pending or rejected are the norm.  I will just keep submitting the edit after they got denied.

Screenshot_20170825-083645.png

Level 5

Hello, @JohnnyE

@GusMoreira wrote about it here: Why is my edit status Pending or Not Applied?

I think the post might be useful for your question 🙂

Level 8

@_Johnny_ wrote:

@sputnikjim wrote:

Is there a link titled "Claim this business" on the details panel for this business?  If this is not there, then the business is claimed by its owner in the Google My Business progress.

@sputnikjim this issue has nothing to do with Google My Business since many businesses around are not claimed. Even if they are, business owners are aware that the square name has been changed and they should update their business address.

Hi @JohnnyE,

Definitely it matters if a Place is Claimed or not.

At least to me, the approval logic for edits of Claimed Business is not that clear.  I have heard something like Owner Review, but I need to admit I don't know about the details.

But anyway, without talking about specific POIs, I find this question coming from your thread interesting:

- What will happen when a Street is Renamed?  Will Maps automatically update the Address details of all POI along the street?

- What will happen when a Mall is Renamed?  Will Maps automatically update the Address details of all POI inside the Mall?  

- etc, etc.

- If not, should we LGs update those Addresses?

Level 9

@Yohanad wrote:

Hello, @JohnnyE

@GusMoreira wrote about it here: Why is my edit status Pending or Not Applied?

I think the post might be useful for your question 🙂

Thank you @Yohanad I understand how that works but as I said I can take a photo of that tobacco official working hours and provide it (if there is a note section) to prove that my edit is accurate. I understand that there are many factors which can affect edits but it's very frustrating when something you know is correct got marked as "incorrect". Hope you understand my point. 😊

Level 9

@YK1001 wrote:

Hi @JohnnyE,

Definitely it matters if a Place is Claimed or not.

At least to me, the approval logic for edits of Claimed Business is not that clear.  I have heard something like Owner Review, but I need to admit I don't know about the details.

But anyway, without talking about specific POIs, I find this question coming from your thread interesting:

- What will happen when a Street is Renamed?  Will Maps automatically update the Address details of all POI along the street?

- What will happen when a Mall is Renamed?  Will Maps automatically update the Address details of all POI inside the Mall?  

- etc, etc.

- If not, should we LGs update those Addresses?

@YK1001 if place is claimed then owner should be responsible to keep their information up to date. This business is not claimed since it's tobacco franchise and this is only one of hundreds of their places. My parents own a business which I manage and I came across some suggested edits (I was able to apply or deny it). Even if this is the case, the owner is responsible to keep their business listing information up to date as stated in this GMB help article.

Obviously not as you can see in that post where I shared changed street and square name with updated square name because I suggested it but I cannot suggest street address edit. Google Maps should automatically review it and update streets once the name has been changed and submitted for approval. The same applies for Mall's, etc. LG's cannot suggest street address edits, however we are able to report a problem and add a note which I already did and waiting to see what will happen. I mentioned that by Croatian Government decision square name has been updated but street name still have old square name and need to be updated asap.