Lacout46's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Improving maps by analysing the gps data of the users of GoogleMaps on smartphones

Would it be possible to detect mistakes on maps by s the gps data of the users of GoogleMaps on smartphones ?

For example, I know a beautiful new road (a kind of shortcut), open for 3 years now, and it isn't yet on GoogleMaps, even if I'm sure several hundreds of users of GoogleMaps are using this road every day, getting an "error message" because they are not on a road known by GoogleMaps.

Maybe it's too much data to analyse, but it could be a good way to improve quality of the maps, specially in places with frequent building of new roads

3 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Improving maps by analysing the gps data of the users of GoogleMaps on smartphones

Hi @Lacout46 I think you'll find this already happens to some degree. A lot of people vanishing off the Map and reappearing somewhere else would suggest places for Google to look at. The challenge is telling the difference between a new road and a big car park at a shopping mall that people might be driving through to escape traffic.

The best thing to do is use the Send Feedback feature within the App highlighting the area of interest and including a note that there is a missing road.

Regards Paul

Level 6

Re: Improving maps by analysing the gps data of the users of GoogleMaps on smartphones

@PaulPavlinovich wrote:

Hi @Lacout46 I think you'll find this already happens to some degree. A lot of people vanishing off the Map and reappearing somewhere else would suggest places for Google to look at. The challenge is telling the difference between a new road and a big car park at a shopping mall that people might be driving through to escape traffic.

The best thing to do is use the Send Feedback feature within the App highlighting the area of interest and including a note that there is a missing road.

Regards Paul

But in the comment of that menu option, there are lots of people complaining that the reports guven by them are neither being fixed in the map, nor been given a reason why. It has happened to me also.

Connect Moderator

@jwba wrote:

But in the comment of that menu option, there are lots of people complaining that the reports guven by them are neither being fixed in the map, nor been given a reason why. It has happened to me also.

That happens to all of us - even Level 10s get that.  Some things in life simply stay mysterious :).